Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
The death of the two income family
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:58 pm
gold21 wrote:
Well, then, they sound like lovely people. So self sacrificing, so covid conscious. Also, they apparently verbally assault jewish people and tell jewish kids to leave the country. But, no worries. They are besties with the DOH, and are therefore clearly wonderful specimens of the human race.

The majority of the population isn't verbally assaulting anyone.

But yes, a few jerks are.

It doesn't change that having children living in tents to try to make a point is not a wise decision and will backfire in multiple ways.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:14 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

It doesn't change that having children living in tents to try to make a point is not a wise decision and will backfire in multiple ways.

Yes, and there are pro-mask jerks and anti-mask jerks; pro-lockdown jerks and anti-lockdown jerks; Republican jerks and Democrat jerks and independent jerks.

No group has a patent on jerkiness.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:15 pm
gold21 wrote:
Well, then, they sound like lovely people. So self sacrificing, so covid conscious. Also, they apparently verbally assault jewish people and tell jewish kids to leave the country. But, no worries. They are besties with the DOH, and are therefore clearly wonderful specimens of the human race.

I love this !!!!❤️❤️❤️

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:15 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

Well yes, obviously, lol. No children living in tents, please. Not a fan of this plan at all.

About those few nasty people- well, they're just bad people- no two ways about it. Don't think anything will really appease people who are inherently bad and hateful.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Yes, and there are pro-mask jerks and anti-mask jerks; pro-lockdown jerks and anti-lockdown jerks; Republican jerks and Democrat jerks and independent jerks.

Totally. But setting anyone up to be on the receiving end of jerks due to my own behavior after I leave and go home isn't cool.

And children living in tents is still not a good idea, regardless of whether antisemitism is a concern or not.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:19 pm
gold21 wrote:
Well yes, obviously, lol. No children living in tents, please. But those few nasty people- well, they're just bad people- no two ways about it.

You know, even those people who "verbally assault" you (how are you defining that?), may not be bad people, they may just be normal people like you, who are at the end of their ropes just like you.

They might usually be soft-spoken, kind, gentle, and polite, but one time a year they lose it verbally, and you were that one time a year.

Of course, it's easy to judge the other side, call them jerks, and decide they're nasty, bad, people.

It's certainly much easier than to accept that their stance might be as legitimate as yours, their anger and frustration and being at the end of their ropes as legitimate as yours, their complaints as legitimate as yours, and worse - to them, the way you speak might be just as "verbally abusive" as you describe how they speak as being.

Life's complicated like that.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:21 pm
Key here is that a majority of the population does not want rampant community spread and are choosing to make a huge sacrifice because they want their families to stay healthy.

It’s extremely debatable if that level of sacrifice needs to be made.
There is no proof.
Back to my point , many secular / non Jewish parents choose the remote learning option or the blended program . Great I am thrilled for them ! Maybe they are amazing parents who still have their sanity intact. I am happy for them.
Little me, and many other frum parents need their adorable offsprings in school during the day, and refuse to live a life of Zoom indefinitely.
BH most yeshivos are doing everything possible to stay open legally.
BHx10000 my kids school is able to stay open
What should the parents do that just happen to be in the wrong borough or zip code ???
Ofcourse all schools in red/ orange zones need to do everything possible the safe way, that’s not a question..... but yes our yeshivos need to stay open.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:23 pm
You know, even those people who "verbally assault" you (how are you defining that?), may not be bad people, they may just be normal people like you, who are at the end of their ropes just like you.

They might usually be soft-spoken, kind, gentle, and polite, but one time a year they lose it verbally, and you were that one time a year.

Of course, it's easy to judge the other side, call them jerks, and decide they're nasty, bad, people.

It's certainly much easier than to accept that their stance might be as legitimate as yours, their anger and frustration and being at the end of their ropes as legitimate as yours, their complaints as legitimate as yours, and worse - to them, the way you speak might be just as "verbally abusive" as you describe how they speak as being.

Er.... Telling kids to leave the country isn't coming from a legitimate place. The OP of this thread is coming from a legitimate place. See the difference?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:30 pm

For example, I think approaching a woman who is barely 5' with her 13 yo and 5 yo daughters on a walk in the suburbs who are following the rules and aren't part of any individual or communal movement to flaunt rules or protest, etc. because they are jewish is being a jerk. It wasn't me, but my friend who told me about it shortly after. We've lived here for over a decade and never experienced anything like this.

I'll be honest that part of me felt this woman (who shouted) deserved some understanding for her bigoted outburst, and a the same time, I also think no one deserves a bigoted outburst...certainly not my friend who is this little, meek, nice, worldly, compliant, respectful person minding her own business.

And I blame latent antisemitism (which is the doer's fault) and other people who don't realize they are representing Jews elsewhere when they take the law into their own hands. I think it goes both ways. I actually have stronger feelings about the latter, and I temper them in the name of ahavas yisroel because I know I might be wrong giving the person displaying bigotry any sort of pass--certain against my own "tribe".

lovetobemommy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:40 pm

every house has a garbage can.........

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Quote:
Check put the NYT article from yesterday, which detailed how quickly things spread in the schools in Salt Lake City that were determined to open as normal this school year.

Did you read the article? I did. The schools didn't follow safety protocols and they didn't close down when they were advised to. And even when things got "out of control" the school had a 3% positivity rate. This article is classic fear mongering from the media. They found a school that did things wrong to try and highlight what a bad idea it is to open schools. What about the thousands of other schools all over the country that did things right? They're not reporting about those are they?

Are the frum schools following safety protocols?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:52 pm
lovetobemommy wrote:
every house has a garbage can.........

Good one!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:53 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
It’s extremely debatable if that level of sacrifice needs to be made.
There is no proof.
Back to my point , many secular / non Jewish parents choose the remote learning option or the blended program . Great I am thrilled for them ! Maybe they are amazing parents who still have their sanity intact. I am happy for them.
Little me, and many other frum parents need their adorable offsprings in school during the day, and refuse to live a life of Zoom indefinitely.
BH most yeshivos are doing everything possible to stay open legally.
BHx10000 my kids school is able to stay open
What should the parents do that just happen to be in the wrong borough or zip code ???
Ofcourse all schools in red/ orange zones need to do everything possible the safe way, that’s not a question..... but yes our yeshivos need to stay open.

Many frum families also choose the distance option, but they usually aren't blasting it at the top of their lungs, like those who want schools open are.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:55 pm
This is a real issue for many mothers right now. Definitely not just an Orthodox Jewish problem.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 3:13 pm
gold21 wrote:
OP, your concerns and complaints are 100 percent legitimate. Apparently, even virtuous people, who are so virtuous that they social-distance better than anyone else does, nanananananana, and wear masks even to sleep and when they shower, can have a not-so-kind streak, where they judge others for expressing very legitimate very normal very human frustrations.

Hugs.

Thank you Gold! I as well am a working mother who desperately needs the income. We are asked to sacrifice and stay home. But, how are we supposed to survive. We got a stimulus check months ago, and since then Nancy pelosi has blocked every offer. We don't work, we don't eat!!!

And I cannot work if my kids don't have school. The school followed regulations and was closed anyway. If its for a week or 2, I can get thru it. But this is indefinitely. How long will we stay shut? Its already 7 months!!!!

keym

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Thank you Gold! I as well am a working mother who desperately needs the income. We are asked to sacrifice and stay home. But, how are we supposed to survive. We got a stimulus check months ago, and since then Nancy pelosi has blocked every offer. We don't work, we don't eat!!!

And I cannot work if my kids don't have school. The school followed regulations and was closed anyway. If its for a week or 2, I can get thru it. But this is indefinitely. How long will we stay shut? Its already 7 months!!!!

Yes.
Not to mention how unemployment (if you're lucky to be eligible) is a negligible amount.

I don't blame just Nancy Pelosi, though.
I blame all of them. Mcconnell, Schumer, Pelosi, Trump. Everyone who is letting politics get in the way of regular people buying food.

Malkqueen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 5:30 pm
OP, I agree with you 100%

There is a lot of noise about safety, school compliance, numbers going up, etc.

But what concerns me most is that none of the regulations imposed take into account the necessity of dual income.

This isn't about educating our children. There are remote options, even though we dislike them. This is about the inability of families to make ends meet without 2 incomes, and the inability of families to pay for additional childcare to be able to keep working.

I do wish more noise was made about this, because the current guidelines don't seem to have an end date in sight.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 5:46 pm
I'd pull the kids out of school and use the tuition money for a nanny. Hug

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:10 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
This is a real issue for many mothers right now. Definitely not just an Orthodox Jewish problem.

Yep. And even if it were just an Orthodox Jewish problem, it would be legitimate.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I don't think you realize that people who work for the State in Albany, live in Albany.

They will not appreciate the mess, the porta pottys, the traffic disruptions, and they will see this as another NYC tantrum (NYCers already violated rules and held a big even up here---not appreciated and a lot of bad press and eye rolling.) They don't appreciate it from most of these demonstrations.

There will be more focus on the Jewish community up here by the DOH if you come up. There are more risks that there will be positive cases on our shuls that we have gone to great lengths to prevent.

Worse yet, they will see frum Jews, and you folks get to leave. The rest of us here who are already stretched financially and emotionally following the rules, and spending a lot of time having a good relationship with DOH, etc. get to live with people yelling at us as we walk down the street--something that was non existent to becoming more common in recent weeks.

You also spend our already cut tax dollars by forcing Albany DGS to clean up after those events. Our waste collection fees have already been raised this year. Albany City is really hurting. Please don't make it worse. We don't have an NYC budget.

Also, I'm not clear how bussing kids up to Albany without parents and clearly no SD to live in tents with no indoor plumbing or heat is making a good case. It seems kind of backwards--they need in person school and it's not fair because we follow rules, but not indoor plumbing and we're not following the DOH rules? I also feel it's using children for PR, and, I strongly disagree with that. I don't like it when children are used to further adult issues. It's not appropriate.

I am with you all the way that you shouldn't pay the price for other people's action.
The posters here are being facetious, though. This is ONE THING you don't have to worry about.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics