Home

What is your 6th grade daughter learning in Chumash and Navi

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:50 pm
And where did you get materials from? I am waiting to start Chumash and Navi until Krishna and dikduk skills are up to par, but I have no idea where to start once we are ready.
Back to top

amother




Olive
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:55 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
And where did you get materials from? I am waiting to start Chumash and Navi until Krishna and dikduk skills are up to par, but I have no idea where to start once we are ready.


Chumash in sixth grade is usually parshiyos Beshalach, yisro and mishpatim.
Navi is usually Shmuel Alef
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:56 pm
I don't have a daughter in 6th grade, but I used to teach it. Chumash was Bamidbar, Navi Shmuel Alef.
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:19 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
And where did you get materials from? I am waiting to start Chumash and Navi until Krishna and dikduk skills are up to par, but I have no idea where to start once we are ready.

I love how your autocorrect decided to go with Krishna for Judaic studies.
My sixth grader is in Israel so that probably doesn’t help you. But she’s learning Dvarim and Shmuel Bet (incidentally three of my five children are learning Shmuel Bet this year in tenth ninth and sixth grades).
Back to top

Tzippy323




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:23 pm
You can find many resources at chinuch.org. Also, P’TACH puts out some excellent workbooks, not necessarily limited to special ed. Hatzlocha!
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 2:43 pm
If she’s never done chumashbefore why not start with Bereshit and work up.
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 3:36 pm
We did Ki Sisa, Teruma, Tetzaveh, Vayakhel-Pekudei quickly, and then Bamidbar, Naso, and Beha'alosecha.

In Navi, we did Shmuel Bais.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 3:59 pm
DD is now in 7th grade. Last year they kind of skipped around, I remember studying parts of Ki Sisah with her, particularly the inyan chet HaEgel and the 13 Middas Harachamim (which they memorized, along with the explanation, etc...)

Navi was Shmuel Aleph.
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:53 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I love how your autocorrect decided to go with Krishna for Judaic studies.
My sixth grader is in Israel so that probably doesn’t help you. But she’s learning Dvarim and Shmuel Bet (incidentally three of my five children are learning Shmuel Bet this year in tenth ninth and sixth grades).

😆 I didn’t even notice that!!
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
If she’s never done chumashbefore why not start with Bereshit and work up.

She has. This is her first year at home. I’m wondering if WHAT she learns is as important as the SKILLS she is learning. I’m applying to school for her for next year, in case we decide to go that rout, and I don’t want her to be behind.
Back to top

Iymnok




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:57 pm
Israeli BY, sefer Bereishis with Rashi and Melachim alef. They still have to finish shmuel ב since corona messed them up last year.
Back to top

amother




Brown
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 5:15 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
She has. This is her first year at home. I’m wondering if WHAT she learns is as important as the SKILLS she is learning. I’m applying to school for her for next year, in case we decide to go that rout, and I don’t want her to be behind.


I would check with the school, then. Find out what they're covering, and make sure she has an overview of what happens. Also ask a parent if possible, because often a school will say, "We're doing through the end of the sefer", and any girl who did that grade knows what parsha they actually get to.

If you are focusing on skills or connection or the like, you can do whatever works for you, even if it's only one parsha or less. But give her the background on the rest. Maybe throw the more famous Rashi's in when you get to them by parshas hashavua.

ETA: most schools IME focus more on skills by chumash, and less by navi.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:57 pm
Op, where do you live? It makes a difference. Also are you connected with by schools?
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:07 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Op, where do you live? It makes a difference. Also are you connected with by schools?

Bayswater
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Feel so bad for my daughter
by amother
6 Yesterday at 12:22 pm View last post
Daughter finally started menstruating
by amother
34 Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:39 pm View last post
Puberty in 4th grade?
by amother
12 Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:02 pm View last post
My daughter doesn't want to daven
by amother
25 Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:24 pm View last post
Teenage daughter constantly bored!
by amother
3 Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:20 pm View last post