Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tips on getting into monsey schools
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:01 pm
Would you consider chabad Of monsey? I know some chasidish families that send there and are super happy.
They accept you with no questions asked, they are so caring and make you feel comfortable. They do teach a lot about the Rebbe but the families I know said it doesn’t bother them. Rather be accept and learn first hand what ahavas yisroel really means over fighting your way into the other school that don’t need you and make you feel uncomfortable.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:07 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Yup, lot's of money. There are schools that ask for $10,000 to get your kids in.

Tell me about it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Would you consider chabad Of monsey? I know some chasidish families that send there and are super happy.
They accept you with no questions asked, they are so caring and make you feel comfortable. They do teach a lot about the Rebbe but the families I know said it doesn’t bother them. Rather be accept and learn first hand what ahavas yisroel really means over fighting your way into the other school that don’t need you and make you feel uncomfortable.

It’s not at all chassidish there bdy as an option before that.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
It’s not at all chassidish there bdy as an option before that.

They most def are. I know the kids that go there.
Chabad considers themselves chassidish. They have very proper tznius guidelines, not like the other jihad schools.
It’s not Yiddish speaking but very heimish environment and lots of staff from Skver, satmer etc.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:17 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
They most def are. I know the kids that go there.
Chabad considers themselves chassidish. They have very proper tznius guidelines, not like the other jihad schools.
It’s not Yiddish speaking but very heimish environment and lots of staff from Skver, satmer etc.

They're not Chassidish Chassidish, they're Chabad Chassidish. Not what OP is looking for. Chabad is not considered a regular Chassidish school.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:33 pm
My friend sends to kesser. Sounds like what you're looking for. Her son goes to bais dovid.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
They have a long list of tznius rules. I think they are the frummer version of Bais Rochel. Once again, if this is you than apply.

Not true. Bais Rochel is actually (trying to be) frummer but they're pretty similar without the snobbiness BR is known for. It's a nice "varim" small school with high academics and heimish parent body.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Yes, Bais Shifra Miriam is very chassidish nowdays.
Kesser is the chassidish Bais Yakov.

I must laugh how people view schools.
OP asked if BSM is very chassidish. To me very chassidish means like vishnitz, satmer, belz, square.. that's not what BSM is , honestly. BSM is a nice mix from all types , the girls speak mostly English and they do have some not chassidish kids too . I think how you describe yourself seems like you are looking for such type like BSM. ENGLISH speaking, nice hashkofa and definitely NOT ultra chassidish, it is heimish . They have strong good parent body and its nice school. I think its worth you look into it.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:40 pm
Op, How old is your daughter? Kesser doesn't have all the grades yet.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:46 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I must laugh how people view schools.
OP asked if BSM is very chassidish. To me very chassidish means like vishnitz, satmer, belz, square.. that's not what BSM is , honestly. BSM is a nice mix from all types , the girls speak mostly English and they do have some not chassidish kids too . I think how you describe yourself seems like you are looking for such type like BSM. ENGLISH speaking, nice hashkofa and definitely NOT ultra chassidish, it is heimish . They have strong good parent body and its nice school. I think its worth you look into it.

Bais Shifra Miriam is not an English speaking school. They used to be a mix of chassidish and litvish, by now there are almost no litvish girls there. I look at it as a mainstream neutral chassidish school.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:59 pm
Was actually thinking of chabad, know a couple of very nice families who send there but if it’s only Chabad I’ll probably be a misfit because I’m not from chassidish background at all and dh is neutral chassidish.
Kesser has kindergarten, right?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:08 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Bais Shifra Miriam is not an English speaking school. They used to be a mix of chassidish and litvish, by now there are almost no litvish girls there. I look at it as a mainstream neutral chassidish school.

When I was in BSM 15 years ago, posters like what OP describes herself was maybe 2-4% of the parent body.
30 years ago, she would've had at least 50% like herself.
I don't know if these kids had younger siblings and they are still there, or if it went all chassidish.
But it most definitely has a 99% chassidish crowd now, in 2020.
I believe that the girls do talk English between breaks and Limidue Kodesh teachers speak Yiddish during class, but with a litvish havara. Maybe younger grades do talk Yiddish between themselves? Not sure.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Was actually thinking of chabad, know a couple of very nice families who send there but if it’s only Chabad I’ll probably be a misfit because I’m not from chassidish background at all and dh is neutral chassidish.
Kesser has kindergarten, right?

Yes, they have kindergarten.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:14 pm
Oh good

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:56 pm
What about Vien fairly new probably like Bais Ruchel. Try getting someone to intervene for you

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:58 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
What about Vien fairly new probably like Bais Ruchel. Try getting someone to intervene for you

Vein is a typical chassidish school. I'm almost sure they don't allow mothers to drive, correct me if I'm wrong. And they want $10,000 registration from people trying to get in.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:14 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:

Vien is just like pupa, belz etc.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 3:04 pm
I send my sons to Bais Dovid and my daughter to Kesser. I'm extremely happy b"h. My kids are english speaking and we're heimish/chasidish.

Rosy mom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 3:06 pm
Kesser has similar parentbody to Bais Rochel. Smaller, warmer school. I'm super impressed!

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:17 pm
If your husband wears a streimel/chassidish levush your daughter prob will not fit into Bais yaakov. Ik someone who’s father is like this and she’s always embarrassed as most of her classmates fathers are in chinuch... it’s super yeshivish. Some kids in older grades come from chassidish families but now they don’t really accept this crowd. My girls are in bas mikrah and I think that would be a better choice than Bais yaakov. It isn’t chassidish in any way (families don’t speak Yiddish at home) but the girls are more open to other types than Bais yaakov. If u choose a non chassidish school keep in mind that your kids probably won’t be speaking Yiddish at home. Chabad shouldn’t even be an option. I see the kids that go there and definitely not like any above schools. I don’t know anything abt the chassidish schools, but I know that when I grew up Bais dovid and Bais Rochel we’re this type. (Even vein used to be heimish, now they don’t let women drive and it’s reg chassidish). In monsey unfortunately in non chassidish/ yeshivish schools if your husband is working and you try to get into school (after kindergarten/pre1a) they make you commit to paying full tuition. We are heimish background (no chassidish levush) and decided to go litvish bec there were no heimish options
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics