Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Drug store vs. brand name eyeshadow - difference? Or primer?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:21 pm
I'm not asking about all makeup, but specifically about eyeshadow.

Is there a difference between brand name and drug store eyeshadow? Or is it all in the primer?

I've tried a million different formulations, and I haven't managed to find a combo that really lasts.

Is the secret to buy a great primer? Or do I need an expensive shadow palette, as well?

Please recommend your favorite primers, and, if you think that the shadow brand matters too, your favorite shadow brand.

I've already used Smashbox, Urban Decay, Revlon, Elf, and a few other types of primer.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:29 pm
Makeup artist here, hey đź‘‹
I’ve tried every single drugstore eyeshadow. It’s really really hard to find one that compares to high end. I hate to sound snobby and elitist, but it’s true! It’s such a disappointment because I love so many drugstore mascaras, foundations, blushes, and eyeliners. But for some reason, they haven’t upped their games with the eyeshadow! And it makes me so sad because eyeshadow is expensive, man.
From the drugstore, the best ones are by Nyx. Wet n wild actually started putting out pretty good eyeshadow palettes, where most of the actual eyeshadows in the palettes are super impressive. Gorgeous colors, too.
Primers from the drugstore that I like- Milani. That’s it. Revlon is pretty decent.

What combos have you been using?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:32 pm
Cheaper shadows may contain toxins and are not as simple to work with. Theres tons of fallout, not smooth, and may contain products that are actually banned... Also, they are old products and eyes are super sensitive and precious and should be treated as such.

Best primer overall, Hourglass Veil primer.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:34 pm
Colourpop has good eyeshadows for a cheap price. I love them. Honestly most eyeshadows in the drugstore arent good. If you don’t want to pay a lot I’d stick to colourpop and other indie brands who charge less.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Makeup artist here, hey đź‘‹
I’ve tried every single drugstore eyeshadow. It’s really really hard to find one that compares to high end. I hate to sound snobby and elitist, but it’s true! It’s such a disappointment because I love so many drugstore mascaras, foundations, blushes, and eyeliners. But for some reason, they haven’t upped their games with the eyeshadow! And it makes me so sad because eyeshadow is expensive, man.
From the drugstore, the best ones are by Nyx. Wet n wild actually started putting out pretty good eyeshadow palettes, where most of the actual eyeshadows in the palettes are super impressive. Gorgeous colors, too.
Primers from the drugstore that I like- Milani. That’s it. Revlon is pretty decent.

What combos have you been using?

I've tried my Urban Decay primer with eyeshadow from Covergirl, Clinique, Sephora, Urban Decay, etc. - so some brand name, some drugstore - and it never lasts.

Since you say that you love so many drugstore mascaras, foundations, blushes, and eyeliners, can you recommend your favorites?

What are your favorite high-end eyeshadows?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:53 pm
Huge difference!
I’m a makeup geek!
The drugstore eye shadows do not blend.
My favorite shadows right now are the huda beauty naked sets. They’re $30 so they’re affordable and I have all 3!

QUEENY

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:55 pm
I wear Estee Lauder eye shadow..stays on all day..and Ive had it last thru shabbos. I tried Tarte or it was Too Faced..its not the same pigment at all...does not last and does not blend as well as the higher end.

Primer..I use Mary Kay and I have an Estee Lauder that I save for special occasions..im not sure I see a difference..but I feel more glowy in the Estee Lauder

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Huge difference!
I’m a makeup geek!
The drugstore eye shadows do not blend.
My favorite shadows right now are the huda beauty naked sets. They’re $30 so they’re affordable and I have all 3!

I had one of those and didn't see any difference. I gave it away to my sister.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had one of those and didn't see any difference. I gave it away to my sister.

That’s funny- I love them and I have the high end Natasha denona palettes and I keep going back to the huda ones.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:58 pm
Do you have good makeup brushes? I found that when I bought them , my makeup looked soooo much better. Everything went on much better and blended so much more smoothly.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:01 pm
Can anyone post links to a nice pallete that’s long lasting?

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've tried my Urban Decay primer with eyeshadow from Covergirl, Clinique, Sephora, Urban Decay, etc. - so some brand name, some drugstore - and it never lasts.

Since you say that you love so many drugstore mascaras, foundations, blushes, and eyeliners, can you recommend your favorites?

What are your favorite high-end eyeshadows?

I love the recommendations people posted!
Hourglass Veil and Too Faced Shadow insurance are both A+ primers!
And color pop has stunning, high quality shimmers and glitters.
My favorite eyeshadows are the Natasha Denona and Anastasia. Expensive, but it’s a business investment for me. The wet n wild palette with the maroon colors is very similar to my Anastasia Modern Renaissance palette in both color and quality!
My second favorite has to be Juvias Place and Morphe (found at Ulta, and very affordable).

Best mascara is anything from L’Oreal. They are sister companies with Lancome, and the mascaras are very similar formulas. The waterproof ones last the longest.
Foundation- revlon colorstay is a classic win. Wet n wild (I’m embarrassed that I like it so much!!!!) just redid their whole line like 2 years ago, and their foundations are bomb. Literally gorgeous, and even more gorgeous when paired with smash box primer and a good setting spray. 10/10. And last but not least, L’Oréal infallible. Lovvvvve!
Blush- milani, but the flower ones. And essence makes nice singles that are really cheap. The color “befitting” is flattering on almost everyone.
Eyeliner- L’Oréal infallible waterproof stays forever. Also rimmel London scandaleyes liquid liner, but it runs out pretty fast. But it’s really cheap, so it’s worth it. (Lasts shorter on oily skin, but looks beautiful while it’s still on!)

Btw: Makeup hack- go to the makeup section in tj maxx abs marshalls. They have high end makeup for cheap. I’ve gotten stilla liners there!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:09 pm
I love experimenting with makeup and have tried quite a bit. I personally have oily skin, including my eyelids. My favorite eye primer is Mac painterly paint pot. I apply it with my finger and only use a little.

As far as eyeshadow pallets, I love my Natasha denona biba pallet. I also have the huda beauty new nude pallet. I love it and it looks beautiful it just irritates my eyes so I wear it very infrequently. My favorite everyday pallet is a Morphe one- Jaclyn hill. I have had it a long time and use it very frequently. When I run out of that one I am planning on buying an Anastasia Beverly hills one (either norvina or soft glam)

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:11 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Can anyone post links to a nice pallete that’s long lasting?

Ya what’s ur budget? And what colors do u like? (Also, do u know your skin undertones?)

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:13 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Do you have good makeup brushes? I found that when I bought them , my makeup looked soooo much better. Everything went on much better and blended so much more smoothly.

This ⬆️
Although, it doesn’t make a difference with staying power. It’ll just look nicer while it’s on.

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:49 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Colourpop has good eyeshadows for a cheap price. I love them. Honestly most eyeshadows in the drugstore arent good. If you don’t want to pay a lot I’d stick to colourpop and other indie brands who charge less.

Where do you buy it? Online?

I considering trying this brand.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:10 pm
Ya what’s ur budget? And what colors do u like? (Also, do u know your skin undertones?)

Willing to spend up to $50 on a good pallete.

I believe warm. I like browns, golds, pinks, silver.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:12 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
Where do you buy it? Online?

I considering trying this brand.

Ulta

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:13 pm

Though this wasn't addressed to me, I'll answer: I'll also spend about $50 on a really good palette. I am very fair-skinned and have been told multiple times that lilac/lavender/purples look good on me.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:14 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Willing to spend up to $50 on a good pallete.

I believe warm. I like browns, golds, pinks, silver.

Try this https://www.nordstrom.com/s/an.....52852
Or look for the modern Renaissance palette if you want more Fall colors (burgundies, burnt orange)
(P.s. silver is cool-tone!)

https://www.sephora.com/produc.....29003

https://www.sephora.com/produc.....50887
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics