Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Old Lakewood memories...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My first year in Bais Faiga building was 4th. The freshness of that new building with workers all over the place! Was major!

Hmm... no wonder why my daughter is complaining about the cracks in the walls with bugs crawling out!

malki2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:09 am
How about when Bais Kaila was not even in Lakewood but in Belmar (in the building that would eventually house the Belmar Yeshiva)?

malki2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:11 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
This comment probably doesn't belong in this thread and the thing I miss the most about old Lakewood didn't even take place in Lakewood.

Back then in the early 80s we had to do all of our Yom Tov shopping in Brooklyn.

We were in a store in 13th Avenue in Boro Park. My mother wanted to write a check. (This was before credit cards were common ) The store owner said that he doesn't accept checks before Yom Tov becuase you have the husband and wife Yom Tov shopping and writing out checks with no contact with each other (this was before cell phones were common too)so they bounce too often Yom Tov time.

He offered to hold the stuff but my mother said she isn't coming back from Lakewood before Yom Tov again. The storekeeper immediately changed his mind and said "Oh, I didn't realize you were from Lakewood. I have customers from all over the United States but I only make two exceptions and accept checks Yom Tov time. From Lakewood people (and also Kensington, Brooklyn) becuase if their check bounces they will run after me to pay not the other way around"

I can think of other such stories from back then. One was even with a non-Jew. Back then there was an assumption of "A Yid from Lakewood would never cheat you"

Who today still thinks that way?

That is what I miss the most about old Lakewood

It’s still like that for the the Torah crowd. Speaking from many personal experiences.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bais Faiga daycamp! I can write a book about that one!
Does anyone remember swimming in the creek? Surprised

I always tell my kids they’re missing out since they don’t get to take frozen iced tea and fruit punch box drinks to camp. How did we not dehydrate sitting outside all day, before water bottles existed 😂
Remember the big scary house with the padlocked door to the second floor.. that’s where I learned what urinals were...
I still remember the Ahavath Torah camp song (same one every year) and my kids think I am completely crazy.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:32 am
When I reminisce about my Lakewood kollel days in the 80s my stepmother smirks because she and her first husband were there in the real early days.

And, don't ask me how and who I know, a 50 lb. bag of carrots cut into sticks served as a snack in the one of the school lunch programs.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:41 am
My parents were one of the first settlers here...now I wonder who you all are (talking early 80’s families)! Driving from Yeshiva area to the ‘other side of the lake’ used to take about 7 minutes tops. Bais kaila in belmar...boys and girls on the same bus, the old Bais kaila building...the coop at the irv, we used to go to Brooklyn to get glasses. Dr. Shaniks old office (before he opened we would travel to red bank for a pediatrician)

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:43 am
Who remembers the hermits house by the forest near Bais faiga? He was petrifying! That wasn’t even so long ago...
Mrs. Weiners carpool anyone?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Who remembers the hermits house by the forest near Bais faiga? He was petrifying! That wasn’t even so long ago...
Mrs. Weiners carpool anyone?

I remember both!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:46 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
My parents were one of the first settlers here...now I wonder who you all are (talking early 80’s families)! Driving from Yeshiva area to the ‘other side of the lake’ used to take about 7 minutes tops. Bais kaila in belmar...boys and girls on the same bus, the old Bais kaila building...the coop at the irv, we used to go to Brooklyn to get glasses. Dr. Shaniks old office (before he opened we would travel to red bank for a pediatrician)

Same, except we saw Dr. Hirsch early on in his career.. in a local practice with a few other doctors on Kennedy I think.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:57 am
Jamesway and odd job!! Now I feel old!

Scotty

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:05 am
Who remembers Wexelbaums (Wechselbaum's)? The general store that preceded Center of Town on second street...? That's the 80s

hearing gunshots on 2nd street!

the public library on 2nd street (where the clinic is now) the librarians would shush you

Bais Faiga daycamp! (I remember the hanochas even hapina of the building - I was tiny - I got a slice of turkey from the smorg)

WHO REMEMBERS AHAVATH TORAH (a million hearts here) and their day camp in the old historic buildings in Pine Park?????

edit: the camp song!!! OH AHAVATH TORAH, YOU'RE MORE THAN A SCHOOL, YOU'RE MORE THAN A PLACE FOR THE WORK AND THE RULE....

Who remembers Eisenmann's daycamp?????? with apple juice ices and popcorn at parsha time

I remember going to stare at Squankum.... we had never seen town homes before

I grew up with one religious friend off 14th street (if we went on the wrong bus we never got home because no one knew where we lived!) still remember them digging the foundations for Zichron Schneur

Who remembers the cherry tree that used to stand where the Israel Henry Beren Hall is now

singing, "you're not allowed to sing on the block of yeshiva" while on the bus down 7th street :-)

The old Irv!! Davening yamim noraim in the Avreichem and laughing over the boys' classrooms

the Castle apartments!!!! Remember those?

Wow this is a walk down memory lane

YES Dr. Hirsch a"h at Dr. Wolf Lemantia and Hirsch on East Kennedy!! He used to wear the funny ties to make us laugh and was our favorite doctor...

YES Mrs. Weiner's carpool! I loved that car!! We had the honor of living near her a couple years ago and I would feel so happy every time I saw her, overwhelmed with happy memories of being in her car!!! she would always laugh off my compliments but I would be suffused with joy and warmth just seeing her!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:10 am
Childrens Corner.
Fish store in a basement (I can't remember what it was called)
Gelbsteins opened a pizza shop
Caldors
Before Shanik moved to Lakewood we used to travel to Dr Sasson in Long Branch for every sick visit

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:12 am
Anyone else was driven by Mrs. Wolf a”h?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:12 am
Weinsteins prize store

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:14 am
Evelyn who drove "the Cheder bus"

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Evelyn who drove "the Cheder bus"

Was Evelyn a he or a she 😂

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:15 am
I forgot the bus driver’s name, but he wore all white head to toe.

malki2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:17 am
SuperWify wrote:
Jamesway and odd job!! Now I feel old!

Odd job!!!

We bought an overnight bag there in Shana Rishona for $10 and it’s still in great condition almost 30 years later.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:17 am
Omg Evelyn! She was so strange! Who remembers the drop stop lady?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Who remembers the yeshiva list? LOL! Smile
We used to comb thru the names and try to figure out which Moshe Cohen on Forest Ave was our teacher's husband!

On one or two pages? Or something like that.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics