Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Old Lakewood memories...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Scotty

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:52 pm
who remembers making 'teas' in the old Hebrew Day School auditorium??

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Who remembers the ‘new wing’ in Bais faiga where mrs uhrs office was? And coloring on the wall in there...

You’re basically talking about futuristic times.

Mrs. Uhr was my fifth grade teacher.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:06 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

My DD "visited" her yesterday. She needed a late note after an orthodontist appt.
Mrs. Uhr asked her if she got icecream, and why didn't she bring her some?
Smile

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:07 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Yeh I know...I’m just going through the years...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:08 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My DD "visited" her yesterday. She needed a late note after an orthodontist appt.
Smile

Oh, my daughters talk about mrs “Ort”. They probably don’t realize what her name is.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:11 pm
Scotty wrote:
who remembers making 'teas' in the old Hebrew Day School auditorium??

My 7th grade melava malka performance was there!

strawberry cola

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:12 pm
A newspaper called Hakesher which was beautifully done, and contained an offer to give a tour to newcomers to the Kollel

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:16 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Smile

I think my class was her first year in BF.

Thanks OP, I’m having a lot of fun reminiscing with this thread!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:17 pm
Scotty wrote:
EVELYN!!

Oh I always felt so awful about that later. She was such a kind person and a caring bus driver - I will never forget how I once got put on the wrong bus in first grade and was driven all around town because no one knew where to drop me off (cellphones hadn't been invented yet remember) and my driver at last went to the cheder (THE CHEDDAR!!! remember that??) and tried calling her supervisor to decide what to do with us and Evelyn came up and cheerfully said she knew where we lived (a street off Case off 14th street!) and coaxed us sobbing kids onto her bus and back home. Even all these years later I cannot imagine how she dealt with the horror and trauma of inadvertently killing a child. I've thought about it a lot actually. Even as a young kid I thought she would go crazy - she had a good heart.

That was such a terrible day. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about that poor yingele. Afterward they put all the 'arms' on the busses.

Maybe you can write an article about this? You can do it! Would be such a nice zechus to this precious lost neshama.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:17 pm
I lived “around the lake” and there was only about one frum family on each block. I still think of those streets as those families...

My father had to walk to BMG for a minyan the first few years living there.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe we should make a sep thread with old Bais Kaila memories...
The productions, the old uniforms, the togetherness of all types and stripes...
Nothing can replace it!

I didnt grow up in Lakewood, but my uncle/aunt did, they were real old timers. I used to go to them for Shabbos occasionally, so a few of these place sound familiar.
They took me to one of the BK plays (in high '80s). Dont remember what it was about, but remember a song about Slabodka.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:35 pm
BK plays are still iconic. Scotty from up thread had a lot to do with that in the more recent years.. Proud BKer here.

tymama

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:38 pm
Omg I love this thread. Brings back some good and bad memories
Klein’s shoes in their basement
Old npgs

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh yes, I remember that hermit. He would come out sometimes with long white hair. Almost like from a spooky story and we would let our imaginations run wild with ideas...
Now that whole forest is knocked down and replaced by Bais Anya.

I remember him from my BF days and I’m relatively young (was born in the early 90’s). That was a spooky house!! I wonder where he went when they knocked it down.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:24 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
When I reminisce about my Lakewood kollel days in the 80s my stepmother smirks because she and her first husband were there in the real early days.

And, don't ask me how and who I know, a 50 lb. bag of carrots cut into sticks served as a snack in the one of the school lunch programs.
I was a kid in the 90s. I remember carrot sticks in wax paper bags for lunch. Was that a thing? I have few memories from those days lol but most of them seem to center around lunch.

Salami with bits of fat in it, tuna sandwich, in later years they started serving pizza every few weeks. Maybe for Rosh Chodesh?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:27 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I was a kid in the 90s. I remember carrot sticks in wax paper bags for lunch. Was that a thing? I have few memories from those days lol but most of them seem to center around lunch.

Salami with bits of fat in it, tuna sandwich, in later years they started serving pizza every few weeks. Maybe for Rosh Chodesh?

Mondays was tuna with pickles in the wax bags that would turn the bag yellow (probably full of food coloring)
Tuesdays was egg salad on white bread (with shells 😝)
Wed my fave, Kaiser rolls with butter
Thursday salami with rocks!

You might wonder how I remember these details but it was same lunch every day for nine years!

Every so often they’d talk about getting the elusive hot lunches but that didn’t happen til well after my day.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Mondays was tuna with pickles in the wax bags that would turn the bag yellow (probably full of food coloring)

You might wonder how I remember these details but it was same lunch every day for nine years!

Every so often they’d talk about getting the elusive hot lunches but that didn’t happen til well after my day.
Oh that’s right! We had a black bus driver one year who made up a song and he’d sing it on the way home.
Monday is tuna fish
Tuesday is eggs
Wednesday is rolls
Thursday is salami
Friday if you’re hungry you’d better go home!

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh yes, the castle apts! Now replaced by huge fancy duplexes, like the rest of Lakewood!

Hey I lived there!!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

And she was my first grade teacher!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

How can you forget such a lunch schedule!! In 8th grade we started getting peanuts for snack in the wax bags and once in a while- walnuts...we used it as confetti
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics