Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Incorporating veggies into meals

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:03 am
So I'm finally seeing a dietician. Yay! Laugh

Okay, hard thing is making meals. My dietician says veggies should be a big part of any meal.
I'm so sick of having salads. I don't know how to do this. Also I love carbs and she wants me to have less.

What are meal ideas that have veggies? I cannot eat the same thing over and over again. Pls send ideas!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:34 am
Vegetable soup! Pretty much any vegetable can be sauteed, seasoned and cooked into a soup. Also, starting a meal with soup fills you up.

Teomima

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:41 am
Roasted veggies. Love em. Can't get enough. You put on a slightly different topping each time and the flavor changes drastically. Roasted cauliflower with curry powder vs roasted cauliflower with nutritional yeast vs roasted cauliflower with balsamic vinegar...one is savory, the other cheesy, the other sweet. It's awesome. And you can roast anything. Forget the plain old potatoes and sweet potatoes. When roasted butternut squash caramelizes it's like candy. Roasted cabbage wedges are always different from bite to bite because the outside could be charred but the inside buttery, and all of it both soft yet crunchy at the same time. My favorite way to make beets to to either roast whole (afterwards the skin slips right off) and thinly sliced, or diced small and roasted briefly. Both the slices and the dices are so good with goats cheese.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I'm finally seeing a dietician. Yay! Laugh

Okay, hard thing is making meals. My dietician says veggies should be a big part of any meal.
I'm so sick of having salads. I don't know how to do this. Also I love carbs and she wants me to have less.

What are meal ideas that have veggies? I cannot eat the same thing over and over again. Pls send ideas!

I'm not exactly in the same situation as you, because I love raw veggies (and raw rather than cooked), but maybe this approach could help:

I count how many different fruits and veggies I had today... 10 should be average, 15 is good, 20 is a lot...

Here is how I did it when dieting:

The principle is "4 (or more) different veggies" - salad from 4 different veggies - soup from 4 or more different veggies, stir fry from 4 or more different veggies, main course with 4 or more different veggies.

Also, some veggies are good alone, like broccoli soup, asparagus soup, celery root soup, brussel sprouts halved and baked in oven (delicious, how it caramelises, it becomes all sweet), pumpkin soup, beetroot sald (with cooked beetroots), boiled broccoli or brussel sprouts or celery roots or green beans with the main course...

Example soup with with 4 different veggies:
- sautee onions, add water, add diced zucchini, sliced carrots, sliced celery stalks

Example stir fry with 4 different veggies:
- sautee chicken breast, set aside
- sautee onions, add diced mushrooms, diced zucchini, diced eggplants, mung bean sprouts (or broccoli), add soya sauce (or white wine), put chicken breast back in...
all veggies in about the same quantity...

Serve with brown rice or whole grain noodles for family, you might take just a little of rice/noodles
(if you have to make big quantities, it might be a bit tricky in the pan, you might to need two pans... stir fry in a pan is best for 1-4 servings.

If you are interested, I can send you more (oven roasted veggies, salds).
But you also find good videos about that on youtube, like this one:

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking