Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
“Just follow rules” they cried
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:24 am
Some Ima members can only think in black and white. They don’t realize that it’s time to go back to normal life. Hospitals have empty beds and they already know how to treat the virus. Stores can’t afford to lose another months worth of sales and our kids need a normal structured school day.

From Moshe Feiglin’s facebook page:

BH
Today I went to visit a freind in who was admitted to a psych ward for having a mental breakdown.

When I got to the hospital I was shocked to hear that he was still in the emergency room after being admitted four days ago.

I immediately called my connections to find out what was going on and what I heard was beyond shocking.

All psych ward emergency rooms in the State of New York are overloaded with patients waiting for beds. There are not enough beds in the entire state to handle the tremendous mental health pandemic that is going on as result of the lockdowns.

This is no joke. The state is putting all its focus on keeping the hospital beds empty but the mental health crisis is is causing is simply immeasurable.

It’s time to step back and examine the ripple effects of lockdowns and who the true victims really are.

Several months ago another dear freind of mine that was struggling with an opioid addiction and was desperately trying to find a detox facility to help him with the withdrawals. He was told that all detox programs are overloaded and there is a long waitlist for a bed. Hatzalah, with all their connections couldn’t find a single detox facility with an empty bed for him.

He is now in heaven. May his neshama have an aliya.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:27 am
The rules everyone is telling you to follow is wearing masks and social distancing. Avoiding large gathering and weddings.

In order to prevent the fallout of having to otherwise end of up in lockdown. Which yes, comes with its own set of problems as you have mentioned. Unfortunately it wasn't our priority to do what we could to prevent it.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:30 am
double post.
deleted.

Last edited by ChanieMommy on Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:31 am
What you say would just indicate that there are insufficiant detox facilities and psych wards in the region in question and that more should be invested in public health infrastructure... Which "small-state"-advocates don't want...

I don't think it's new that it is hard to get a place in detox facilites and psych wards...

Also, I suppose your friend did not start drugs because of Covid... this looks as if it is a longer standing problem...[quote]

Success10

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Some Ima members can only think in black and white.

To some extent, your post is also a black and white mentality. The choices are not either full lockdown or fully back to normal. There is a middle ground of keeping things open, limiting gatherings, wearing masks and safeguarding immuno-comprised individuals.

I 100% agree that mental health needs to be taken into the equation, but there are still simple enough things we can do to limit spread while staying open.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:33 am
We follow the rules and we have a pretty close to normal life. We mask and social distance.

Do I miss having Shabbos guests? Yes. But with masking and social distancing, we are able to still enjoy in-person school, groceries, retail shopping, restaurants, libraries, parks, playgrounds, and other things. I work remotely, but DH is able to work in person. We have playdates outside and get togethers with adult friends and family outside. It's a very good life overall, even if I look forward to relaxing some of the precautions.

wiki

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:33 am
"Hospitals...already know how to treat the virus." Please explain to the 929 people who died of Covid in America yesterday that their virus was not fatal.

Most of the people on here who maintain "Covid is real and the frum community needs to take it more seriously" also very much support having schools open and stores open. Nearly everyone on here accepts trade-offs and taking on some risks for the sake of maintaining functional lives.

Just that people should wear their masks.

exaustedmom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:35 am
Horrific! This needs to be discussed

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:35 am
and some people have anxieties over their health being at risk. Drug rehabs are always full, regardless of a pandemic. not saying this is not a problem. but if we would all follow the rules early on, things would not be as they are now. Its easy to just go pointing fingers and say A caused B. All you can do is reach out to your friends and relatives that may be having a hard time with this.

There are countries that have completely eradicated this virus. In the U.S. its impossible bec. people just don't care about each other.

specifically in the Frum communities, we are all about chessed, but we can't do this simple thing of wearing a mask so more people don't have to die. Wake up and smell the coffee. Spare me your Bikur cholim sponge cakes, and just wear a mask.

Zehava

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:37 am
[quote="ChanieMommy"]What you say would just indicate that there are insufficiant detox facilities and psych wards in the region in question and that more should be invested in public health infrastructure... Which "small-state"-advocates don't want...

I don't think it's new that it is hard to get a place in detox facilites and psych wards...

Also, I suppose your friend did not start drugs because of Covid... this looks as if it is a longer standing problem...
Quote:

Many psych wards were turned into more rooms for COVID patients

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:38 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
The rules everyone is telling you to follow is wearing masks and social distancing. Avoiding large gathering and weddings.

In order to prevent the fallout of having to otherwise end of up in lockdown. Which yes, comes with its own set of problems as you have mentioned. Unfortunately it wasn't our priority to do what we could to prevent it.

Thank you

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:38 am
Psych wards (or the good ones at least) are always full. I know ppl who have paid tens of thousands of dollars to get a loved one into a good psych ward..

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:41 am
Zehava wrote:
Many psych wards were turned into more rooms for COVID patients

Oh, I see...

So this is one more reason to try and stop the spread of Covid-19 - so that the psych wards do no have to be turned into Covid wards...

So the conclusion from OP's article is: do whatever you can to stop the spread!

Pity that the thread title is so misleading...

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
and some people have anxieties over their health being at risk. Drug rehabs are always full, regardless of a pandemic. not saying this is not a problem. but if we would all follow the rules early on, things would not be as they are now. Its easy to just go pointing fingers and say A caused B. All you can do is reach out to your friends and relatives that may be having a hard time with this.

There are countries that have completely eradicated this virus. In the U.S. its impossible bec. people just don't care about each other.

specifically in the Frum communities, we are all about chessed, but we can't do this simple thing of wearing a mask so more people don't have to die. Wake up and smell the coffee. Spare me your Bikur cholim sponge cakes, and just wear a mask.

Oh please, which country do you believe completely eradicated the virus?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

China. Duh!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:56 am
My dad was alone, quarantined from March until June. It took a huge toll on his mental health. He will most probably never be the same again. In June, he ripped his mask off, starting buying his groceries, went back to work, and started coming to the kids and grandkids again. He said that he will never go back in quarantine again. His quality of life is important to him and whether I agree or not, that is his decision.

Mental health matters!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:59 am
“Just wear a mask and social distance”. That’s all you need to do. Well, when you live in a cramped city it’s easier said than done. It can work a month, two... but after a while it can really get to the person mentally. There is a reason that thousands of people moved out of NYC this past summer.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
My dad was alone, quarantined from March until June. It took a huge toll on his mental health. He will most probably never be the same again. In June, he ripped his mask off, starting buying his groceries, went back to work, and started coming to the kids and grandkids again. He said that he will never go back in quarantine again. His quality of life is important to him and whether I agree or not, that is his decision.

Mental health matters!

I agree mental health matters.
But the black and white annoys me.
I agree maybe he should buy his own groceries, go back to work, and visit with the kids and grandkids again. But why rip off the mask?
I'm not attacking your father. Just trying to understand.
My 92 year old grandma decided shes going to die in the next few years anyways and she's not dying a hermit. So she has grandkids visit and goes out- all with a mask.
Is she perfectly safe? No
Do I worry? Of course
But I do think she is making a good choice.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:07 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
We follow the rules and we have a pretty close to normal life. We mask and social distance.

Do I miss having Shabbos guests? Yes. But with masking and social distancing, we are able to still enjoy in-person school, groceries, retail shopping, restaurants, libraries, parks, playgrounds, and other things. I work remotely, but DH is able to work in person. We have playdates outside and get togethers with adult friends and family outside. It's a very good life overall, even if I look forward to relaxing some of the precautions.

We are similar, and it’s definitely better than lockdown.

That said, no one is enjoying this pandemic. It sucks. It just helps to remember that we’re all in this together.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

New Zealand
Iceland
china
Fiji

In china they are already being vaccinated.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics