Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
VENT- I don't want my building to reopen! Public school
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Like you said,
You are entitled to want something, for your own selfish reasons.

Yes, but some of those reasons are actually reasonable, not selfish. If they want kids in school in a way that actually benefits them, the DOE needs to stop overworking its teachers and setting totally unreasonable expectations for in-person/hybrid learning.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, but some of those reasons are actually reasonable, not selfish. If they want kids in school in a way that actually benefits them, the DOE needs to stop overworking its teachers and setting totally unreasonable expectations for in-person/hybrid learning.

Two different conversations.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Two different conversations.

True, but because I have selfish reasons for wanting the school building to stay closed does not make me a selfish person, as your comment implied. It means that my life is much easier when we are home. I am not pretending to be one of those teachers that enjoys being worked to the bone for the "welfare" of my students. Yes, my life is easier this way, and I'd like to keep it that way until all students can be in the building without overworking us like crazy to give the students no benefit.

leah233

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Also, I don't understand how the orange zone became a yellow zone when the positivity rate is still high in my area (Sheepshead Bay).

There aren't enough frum people living there.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:26 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Wow.

Talk about selfish teachers from who don't give a hoot about their students...

This one really takes the cake.

OP doesn't even want to be a teacher and she is using lockdown time to retrain for another career.

How can you blame her for not wanting to go back to a job she wants to leave anyway?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:35 am
leah233 wrote:
There aren't enough frum people living there.

I know. This is becoming more and more blatant targeting.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:38 am
DrMom wrote:
OP doesn't even want to be a teacher and she is using lockdown time to retrain for another career.

How can you blame her for not wanting to go back to a job she wants to leave anyway?

She apologized for saying that. It's okay.

Yes, I don't want to be a teacher. I burned out of it two years ago. I tried to make it work by changing a little bit, but it didn't help. So now I'm taking courses to switch.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They have not been able to socialize at all, since they need to wear masks and social distance THE ENTIRE DAY. We don't even have a lunch period - my school moved lunch to the end of the day so the kids can grab 'n go.

Actually, a lot of kids switched to remote after the first day of coming into school. It wasn't what they expected. The masks are really hard to deal with. The rooms are stuffy (no AC because it can circulate the virus due to poor ventilation). Everyone is on edge. It was hurting their mental health. Many teachers feel the same way. It's tense and not a good classroom atmosphere.

If over 60% of them are self-directed of their own choice (as they opted to go fully remote), and the kids who are coming in are actually the ones who DO learn well when self-directed, then of what benefit is it?

I should add in that my school is forcing teachers to keep track of both the kids in the building and the remote kids at the same time, illegally, so we're doing double the amount of work in the building.

My dds school requires masks all day and social distancing. They still like seeing their friends and its better than being at home all day staring at screens. I thought we all agreed that live school is best for kids, there are many threads about it. Not just Jewish kids.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
My dds school requires masks all day and social distancing. They still like seeing their friends and its better than being at home all day staring at screens. I thought we all agreed that live school is best for kids, there are many threads about it. Not just Jewish kids.

They're staring at screens all day in school, too. You're talking about a frum school where teachers are actually teaching. By us, students are doing mostly remote work. They're doing the Google Classroom work, just in school. In my classroom, my coteacher has a medical accommodation and teaches synchronous lessons ON ZOOM!! So they're literally getting remote instruction in school. I'm just there to answer questions.

Many kids are not seeing their friends, since their friends have chosen all remote or are not in the same cohort as they are. We're talking about high school kids who come in 2 days out of every 6 in a hybrid model. If their last name happens to place them in a different cohort, their friends are not in school at the same time as them. That has actually influenced the kids to go all remote.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:00 pm
delete

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:03 pm
Delete

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:04 pm
Op, off topic, but can I ask what career you're training for? I'm a burnt out public school SLP looking for a way out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Op, off topic, but can I ask what career you're training for? I'm a burnt out public school SLP looking for a way out.

I guess everyone who knows me IRL would know that I'm the OP of this thread, anyway, so...

Data science.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:08 pm
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:09 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Hugs and hatzlocha

Thanks!

enjoying kids

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:17 pm
Would you feel comfortable to pm me? I don't know you irl but I have some questions about that field.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, exactly.

Also, I don't understand how the orange zone became a yellow zone when the positivity rate is still high in my area (Sheepshead Bay).

If you're in the DOE, you know that forcing you to livestream (or generally do both in person and remote) is illegal, right?

Our windows also open 45 degrees. When I was in the building, the principal was playing games with the max number of kids allowed in the classroom. I told them I refuse to teach in a room that has a higher number (of bodies, including teachers) than the max.

Yeah I'm in public school but not nyc. Apparently they can make us livestream Sad. And the parents in my district have very high expectations. They probably *will be watching.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:41 pm
You know, it’s so interesting. I have had a corporate office job and for years it was grueling - get home close to 7 pm, need tons of babysitting, etc. My friends in the DOE were getting home at 2:30 or so, off all summer etc. After working for so many years (20!) when my kids are almost grown, I am now (briefly) in the comfortable spot, where I am working from home, and my public school friends are going nuts because they need to go back.

Maybe this will cause a shift in the careers that people choose going forward.

In any case I had no interest in being a public school teacher or therapist, so it wasn’t even a consideration for me.

STMommy

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:42 pm
Omg OP I feel you so much. It is so darn hard to be a public school employee right now and I'm not even a teacher. Its October 21st and I'm still mourning the loss of how good I had it working from home in the spring.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
You know, it’s so interesting. I have had a corporate office job and for years it was grueling - get home close to 7 pm, need tons of babysitting, etc. My friends in the DOE were getting home at 2:30 or so, off all summer etc. After working for so many years (20!) when my kids are almost grown, I am now (briefly) in the comfortable spot, where I am working from home, and my public school friends are going nuts because they need to go back.

Maybe this will cause a shift in the careers that people choose going forward.

In any case I had no interest in being a public school teacher or therapist, so it wasn’t even a consideration for me.

I get home at 4-4:30 as a public school teacher. Yes, I have summers off, but the burnout is not worth it for me.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics