Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you have cake/cookies/sweet kugel/dessert every shabbbos?
1  2  3  4  Next

Do you serve cake/cookies/sweet desserts every Shabbos? (not talking about fruit)
yes  
 78%  [ 150 ]
no  
 21%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 191

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:21 pm
Do you serve cake, cookies, other sweet desserts every Shabbos? (Not talking about fruit). eta: do you have any form of sweets at any point on most or every Shabbos for breakfast, shabbos party or nosh or meals? If you serve sweet kugel such as apple kugel, butternut squash, potato, carrot, corn, or the like, I consider that a sweet dessert. So answer yes.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:24 pm
I grew up with a healthy mother, hence no sweet stuff - except for 1 Shabbos treat. I have a sweet tooth & it was torture growing up like that!
I will never do that to my kids...

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:25 pm
Yes. I give cake Shabbos morning. We don’t eat cake during the week.
I buy snacks and sweets for Shabbos afternoon and I serve a dessert after each meal.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:27 pm
For dessert? No.
For shabbos morning along with breakfast.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:28 pm
I don’t serve an official dessert if we don’t have guests, but there’s often cake or cookies available, usually ice cream and always treats available for shabbos party. There’s also chocolate leben and sugar cereal available for breakfast. Believe it or not I’m pretty health minded otherwise Wink I just think it’s important for children to be excited for these things and associate them with the excitement of shabbos.

tweety1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:31 pm
My dh makes Kiddush every shabbos morning. We have our own mini Kiddush with cake and herring.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:33 pm
I bake a cake for every shabbos, so as to have mezonos for kiddush in the morning.

As a rule, I serve dessert, either a fruit salad, or watermelon, or icecrem, or crumble, etc...
But I also serve the cake...

So I always have sweet dessert on shabbos, but fruit is a big component of it...

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:34 pm
Yes we usually have some sort of dessert/baked good on shabbos but its rarely made by me. I enjoy baking but these days its the lowest thing on my list of priorities so we only have because either my oldest son makes cookies or cake for shabbos, the food boxes we get instead of school lunch often have some sort of babka/rugelach or someone else who sends me some food to help me sometimes has a cake or cookies in the box. Its a nice thing that we enjoy but its not a must either.

esther11

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 3:36 pm
I voted no because it’s inconsistent. Some weeks we have dessert, and some weeks not. But we do always give the kids shabbos party!

agreer

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:30 pm
I also voted no because it asked about dessert. If it's just our family, we never have dessert unless it's someone's birthday.

However, we do have a weekly shabbos party for the kids, but that's usually candy and chips, not really cake.

SuperWify

Most of the time. If I don’t have time to bake I try to buy.
It’s just not the same shabbos morning without a slice of cake!

Abi6

Every meal
DH says its the main part of every meal!

sky

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:45 pm
Yes. Typically ill have a baked item for Shabbos and dessert.

Teomima

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:38 pm
I voted no, which isn't to say there's never dessert, but no not always. I do always give a special breakfast in the morning though, usually a sweet baked good like banana bread or cinnamon rolls.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:39 pm
One of us usually bakes something like a cake, blondies, biscottis... not sure if it lasts until shabbos morning though.

MiriFr

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:39 pm
I have a really pretty cookie tray that lives on my counter. It’s a crime to leave it empty LOL

saralem

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:43 pm
Oh yes! Sometimes several cakes per Shabbos. It’s not Shabbos without baked goods!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:48 pm
Fruit dessert by night so we arent grinding sugar into our teeth before bedtime.
Cake shabbos morning after breakfast.
Brownies, ice cream, cobbler, something like that shabbos day dessert.
Shabbos party on long afternoons or dessert with melava malkas on long motza"sh.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:48 pm
Why do you ask? Are you writing a research paper? Are you planning to open a bakery? You think nobody noticed that you didn't answer the question yourself?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:01 pm
I wrote yes, but I rarely serve dessert at the end of the meal. I make cookies or cake for Kiddush and Shabbos afternoon snack though.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note