Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you have cake/cookies/sweet kugel/dessert every shabbbos?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you serve cake/cookies/sweet desserts every Shabbos? (not talking about fruit)
yes  
 78%  [ 150 ]
no  
 21%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 191

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Why do you ask? Are you writing a research paper? Are you planning to open a bakery? You think nobody noticed that you didn't answer the question yourself?

Maybe one of her kids kvetched, "Everyone has cake or sweet nosh in their house on Shabbos, even the healthy ones. We're the only ones who don't!" And she's checking on that.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:08 pm
MiriFr wrote:
I have a really pretty cookie tray that lives on my counter. It’s a crime to leave it empty LOL

Please post a link to the covered tray - I've been looking for one!

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:10 pm
My husband was diagnosed with pre diabetes a few years ago and I stopped baking for the most part. We eat fruit and we are both healthier.

MiriFr

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:14 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Please post a link to the covered tray - I've been looking for one!

K
https://www.thecloseoutconnect.....7.htm
I got mine in Kitchen Clique in Brooklyn, but this is the exact same one in closeout connection. Amazing savings had at one point, too. Very very similar, different handle I think

Edit- actually this one I linked is a bit different because of the little dividers, which mine doesn’t have.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:06 pm
Always.

There is the main course, grape juice/wine, challa, and dessert. That's essential. If I'm feeling "extra" then there might be soup and salads.

I love dessert 😁

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:49 pm
When we have guests, yes. Otherwise, I don't bake but I do let the kids have candy or store-bought cookies for dessert.

mizle10

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:01 pm
Always 1-2 home baked good on the counter for Friday after showers, shabbos breakfast, and snacking
Usually store bought rugelech on the counter also
Always Something else for dessert. Ice cream, peanut chews, mousse etc
Always a fruit salad or compote for dessert/snacking
And then there’s nosh for shabbos party

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:06 pm
I serve pareve ice cream for dessert.

My favorite flavor is Kleins Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Yum! Ice cream

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:13 pm
Why do you ask? Are you writing a research paper? Are you planning to open a bakery? You think nobody noticed that you didn't answer the question yourself?

Chill. Most OPs who don't answer the question are insecure about whether their way is normal.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:27 pm
Yes to desserts, cake, sweets and snacks but all of them fairly healthy.

paperflowers

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:34 pm
Yes, we always have fake or cookies because we like to say kiddush in the morning, but we don’t necessarily serve it as dessert.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:42 pm
One time after I had a baby, the person who was supposed to give us dessert didn't (no, I didn't post complaining about it!) Fine.
I thought.

Till my then 8 year old said only "old, seneel people don't have dessert" (apparently he read senile in a book and didn't know how to pronounce it)

Frumme

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:47 pm

Skipping the passive and straight to aggressive, I see LOL

Maybe we should all share our shabbos desserts with you... It is "stressed" backwards, after all

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:50 pm
We always have dessert. Sometimes it's pie, sometimes it's sorbet, sometimes it's mousse, sometimes it's cake, sometimes it's fruit. Whatever I was in the mood of or whatever we have at hand.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:52 pm
paperflowers wrote:
Yes, we always have fake or cookies because we like to say kiddush in the morning, but we don’t necessarily serve it as dessert.

Fake what?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:09 pm
We only have dessert if we are having company so many 2-3 times a year. My kids don’t get candy ever either they are still little and I don’t see a need to give them sugar when they are happy and ask for things like sweet peppers or cucumbers or fruit. They usually get a Shabbos treat like soda ( seltzer) at the meal that makes it special for them.
But we also don’t have cookies or cakes in the house pretty much ever so it’s not like they even know any different.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:10 pm
We always have cake or cookies or other dessert but I think it's excessive. I thought most people don't have every Shabbos. I see I'm wrong.

lovepinterest

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:27 pm
It’s not Shabbos unless I bake 2-3 diff things. My house is known to have delicious baked goods. Bh we have many many people coming thru our doors all Shabbos so majority of it gets eaten. I enjoy baking and am quite good at it!

nylon

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:47 pm
Yes. I love to bake.

Do we have different desserts for lunch and dinner and then another cake for breakfast or seudah shlishit--no. But there's always something, even if it's very simple. Sometimes I'll make one meal dairy just so we can have a fancy dessert that doesn't work so well pareve.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:49 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
We only have dessert if we are having company so many 2-3 times a year. My kids don’t get candy ever either they are still little and I don’t see a need to give them sugar when they are happy and ask for things like sweet peppers or cucumbers or fruit. They usually get a Shabbos treat like soda ( seltzer) at the meal that makes it special for them.
But we also don’t have cookies or cakes in the house pretty much ever so it’s not like they even know any different.

Warning this is going to backfire.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note