Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you have cake/cookies/sweet kugel/dessert every shabbbos?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you serve cake/cookies/sweet desserts every Shabbos? (not talking about fruit)
yes  
 78%  [ 150 ]
no  
 21%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 191

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:02 pm
my 5 year old needs four teeth pulled, and the oral surgeoun said "does he eat shabbos party?" I should show him this thread. every good jewish boy does... obviously there are other issues at play

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:15 am
I vote other. When all my kids are home, specifically one kid, I do because he says he needs a sweet to finish the meal. Other times, no because I’m mostly the one who eats it Banging head .

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:20 am
Every day, multiple times. Not just Shabbos/YT.

Oh, and I am a clinical dietitian.

myself

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:26 am
MiriFr wrote:
K
https://www.thecloseoutconnect.....7.htm
I got mine in Kitchen Clique in Brooklyn, but this is the exact same one in closeout connection. Amazing savings had at one point, too. Very very similar, different handle I think

Edit- actually this one I linked is a bit different because of the little dividers, which mine doesn’t have.

Does it keep the cash fresh overnight or is it just a fancy holder?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:26 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:

Don't you know the shoemaker goes without shoes?

etky

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 11:10 am
Yes.
Dessert is as regular a course as soup/salad (first course for Shabbat lunch is always a green salad) and main with sides.
I've never kept a ton of nosh in the house and no candy.
But I am an avid baker and we all appreciate home baked goods, so on Shabbat we indulge.
I usually have 2 separate desserts: can be cake&parve ice cream or fruit crumble/pie or something else- one for Friday night and one for lunch and a different cake for Shabbat morning before shul.
I usually freeze leftover cake and desserts after Shabbat b/c we don't really need to be eating cake all week long.
That way I usually have something to pull out of the freezer each week so it's not like I have to bake/prepare 3 desserts every Shabbat. Usually one comes out of the freezer.
I also sometimes bake one large cake in several small pans, leave one pan out for Shabbat and freeze the rest immediately.
It's very important to me to serve dessert on Shabbat as growing up we never had dessert and I always felt that was lacking compared to my friends' homes. My mother did bake for Shabbat but we only ate the cake as breakfast before shul for some reason.
I think baked goods (doesn't have to be home made) provide an extra level of comfort in a home and add a festive element to Shabbat meals. Can't imagine Shabbat without them.

yamz

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:07 pm
Yup. I always bake something. And depending on my mood/how much time I have, I might bake 3 different things. Brownies, fruit crisps, cakes, tarts, cookies, etc. Sometimes we have ice cream for dessert for one meal, and tart for another meal. But there is always dessert. Occasionally, we are too tired Friday night to eat it, and then I will freeze one of the desserts so nothing is wasted. We do not generally have dessert during the week unless something is left over.

On the other hand, I never serve "shabbos party" in the afternoon, unless I have company and it's expected. I would rather my kids each have a slice of cake/pie then stuff their faces with bags of chips and fistfuls of gummies. And unless it's the summer and there are long afternoons, nobody is really hungry an hour or two after the meal.

Like others have said, dessert is important to me, not my husband (at least he won't admit it), and I seemed to have passed this trait on to my children.

Last edited by yamz on Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

blueberry6

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:14 pm
I'm often not home for shabbos but always feel a little let down if my mother or mother-in-law didn't bake anything that week Very Happy baruch Hashem it doesn't happen often! And when I am home I really try to bake something. Like so many other posters said, it doesn't feel like Shabbos without cake!
And come on. Don't we all know that sugar and calories ingested on Shabbos don't count??

asweet

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:24 pm
Are my kids the only ones that ask right away what's for dessert??

We always have dessert, I keep a stocked freezer with cakes and chocolate mousses and molten and ice cream!

We also have Kokosh cake and cheesecake for breakfast, plain cake for the afternoon...

Kids can have a candy or two too!

Bh my kids eat healthy otherwise we( or rather me) loves cake!

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:08 pm
It don't now, because it's only me and my husband and he barely eats. Definitely not dessert.

But once I have cute little customers for dessert, oh yeah! Every week bln!

Every now and then I'll make a dessert for myself 😋 who doesn't like sweets?

And when we have guest, it's so exciting! I have a reason to cook and bake!

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:49 pm
myself wrote:
Does it keep the cash fresh overnight or is it just a fancy holder?

Cash stays fresh as long as it isn’t used 😂

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:53 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
It don't now, because it's only me and my husband and he barely eats. Definitely not dessert.

But once I have cute little customers for dessert, oh yeah! Every week bln!

Every now and then I'll make a dessert for myself 😋 who doesn't like sweets?

And when we have guest, it's so exciting! I have a reason to cook and bake!

My dh doesn’t either really like dessert. Me and my kid eat it all. Smile

Confused about your username- yiddishmom- from your post it doesn’t sound like you have kids yet. Can you clarify? Just curious by what you meant you have no customers but your username implies otherwise.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 7:20 pm
SuperWify wrote:
My dh doesn’t either really like dessert. Me and my kid eat it all. Smile

Confused about your username- yiddishmom- from your post it doesn’t sound like you have kids yet. Can you clarify? Just curious by what you meant you have no customers but your username implies otherwise.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a 1 year old, he can eat, but how much? I need to wait for him to grow up and for some more to join beH...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 7:26 pm
I'm going to edit the OP. If you serve sweet kugel such as apple kugel, butternut squash, potato, carrot, corn, or the like, I consider that dessert. Please answer poll accordingly.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:41 am
I grew up having Stella Doro or Reismans marble cake - was not good, in those days)
As a Married, I have baked desserts probably every Shabbos. & I came to realize that I learned unhealthy habits from having too much of addicting sugary things.
&I would find myself being a closet/freezer Nosher. At a certain point I stopped unless we had company.
Now we don't really.
But if my married kids come ill make more for yom tov..
I feel better when I don't do all the sugary stuff

nchr

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:36 am
I serve a lokshen kugel as part of my cholent plate...

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 7:01 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:

Any suggestions for a diabetic overweight husband who insists on dessert (or buys it himself)?

icebreaker

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 7:03 am
Yes! Need my sweets!

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 7:12 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Any suggestions for a diabetic overweight husband who insists on dessert (or buys it himself)?

You’re better off baking something for him. You can control sugar, fat, fiber content. Whatever he buys is probably loaded with trans fats and that’s something you can easily avoid. Use recipes with a small amount of canola or olive oil, sub applesauce for some or all of the oil. If your husband is diabetic, the trend to replace sugar with other sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, silan, won’t be much help. They’re all bad for him. Artificial sweeteners aren’t great either. Try to cut the sugar as much as you can. We eat our cakes very sweet, I’ve cut recipes that had two cups sugar to less than a cup. (Don’t cut out sugar in a cake entirely or you’ll ruin the texture.) Replace white flour with whole wheat, start slowly with maybe a third of the flour in a recipe. Keep in mind that a cup of all purpose is about 3/4 cup of whole wheat. You can also try spelt or almond flours. Gluten free is probably a no no unless you make it yourself and know what you’re putting in. A lot of commercial gluten free products use potato starch which is not good for a diabetic.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 7:17 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
You’re better off baking something for him. You can control sugar, fat, fiber content. Whatever he buys is probably loaded with trans fats and that’s something you can easily avoid. Use recipes with a small amount of canola or olive oil, sub applesauce for some or all of the oil. If your husband is diabetic, the trend to replace sugar with other sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, silan, won’t be much help. They’re all bad for him. Artificial sweeteners aren’t great either. Try to cut the sugar as much as you can. We eat our cakes very sweet, I’ve cut recipes that had two cups sugar to less than a cup. (Don’t cut out sugar in a cake entirely or you’ll ruin the texture.) Replace white flour with whole wheat, start slowly with maybe a third of the flour in a recipe. Keep in mind that a cup of all purpose is about 3/4 cup of whole wheat. You can also try spelt or almond flours. Gluten free is probably a no no unless you make it yourself and know what you’re putting in. A lot of commercial gluten free products use potato starch which is not good for a diabetic.

Thanks!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note