Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Leaving child in the bathtub with a monitor
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:42 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I was just going to give this scenario. My daughter slipped the other day when trying to stand up in the tub. I was sitting the tub’s ledge , I caught her in the middle of her fall. If I was not there next to her she would have smashed her head on the bathtub hard. My DH lost his front tooth after slipping in a bathtub as a young child. Injuries happen within seconds. Sometimes you need to be there to break their fall.

My daughter slipped in the shower when she was 9 or 10 and for some miraculous reason had not locked the door. I heard the bang and ran in. For some time after that, I had her keep the door unlocked, but now she would feel uncomfortable doing that. Maybe I should start a spin-off about shower and bath safety for older kids.

ally

amother [ OP ] wrote:
So according to everyone, is this safe?
Because my kitchen table right near the bathroom and I can get there just as fast as she can.
In fact sitting at the door wouldn't help me because my bathroom is set up in a way that I wouldn't even be able to see her from the door.

And no I can't do anything in the bathroom with her because she will demand my full attention if she sees me. She a 2 year old.

You must be able to see her at all times. Just take her out if you don’t have time for long baths.

amother
Maroon

I redid my bathrooms and took out all the bathtubs. I think showering the kids is much quicker and safer! Just a thought for some to hear...

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:44 pm
My kids like doing lots of things that are only safe under supervision. So we only do them as long as I can supervise. What It's just the basics in parenting.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because it's not.

For a child to drown they need to be under water for at least 30 seconds. Which won't happen because I have my eyes on her and can hear her.

30 seconds under water for what to happen:

Lungs to fill with water
Permanent brain damage
Death

Blessing1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So according to everyone, is this safe?
Because my kitchen table right near the bathroom and I can get there just as fast as she can.
In fact sitting at the door wouldn't help me because my bathroom is set up in a way that I wouldn't even be able to see her from the door.

And no I can't do anything in the bathroom with her because she will demand my full attention if she sees me. She a 2 year old.

Please stop trying to excuse negligent behavior. If you can't be bothered to sit with your child in the bathroom, just bathe her and take her out.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:52 pm
Skip the bath. Keep her filthy. Just keep her alive.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:53 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]After all those safety threads, I was wondering what the reaction to this will be.

Reaction: oh no, not another one

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:55 pm
In this case I suggest you buy a toddler tablet so she can watch videos while you eat supper in peace, nurse the baby and talk on the phone.

HakarasHatov

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:57 pm
I’m a bit unconventional, and thus have two suggestions.

let her bath in the kitchen sink

Or

Buy a blow up tub and let her bath in the kitchen floor.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:58 pm
HakarasHatov wrote:

Or

Genius! Thumbs Up

lilies

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 4:59 pm
HakarasHatov wrote:

Or

She can just as well play at the kitchen sink.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:01 pm
True story.

Someone I knew left her toddler in the bath for a minute while she went to answer the phone, an important call she was expecting.

Sadly, the little girl drowned.

It ruined the family, destroyed the marriage, and damaged her career.

She'd have given anything to get those few minutes back, and have stayed with her precious daughter.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:09 pm
I was tempted a month or so ago to do this--my 2.5 year old got very dirty for some reason so I gave her a midday bath (very unusual for us--DH usually does baths at night). My baby was sleeping downstairs so I took my 2 year old up and of course, as soon as I got the shampoo in her hair, the baby started crying downstairs.

I had a second where a part of me wanted to leave her and run down to the crying baby, but I decided it wasn't a good idea--in addition to all the terrible what-ifs, sometimes the other thing you're going to do will take more of your attention than you think, and then the child is in a potentially dangerous situation for even longer. I probably would have gotten caught up with the baby and left the toddler longer than I intended.

So I rinsed her off, rushed her out of the bath, and took her downstairs with me in a towel. I know it can be tempting to just get one thing on your list done, but it's not really worth it.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:15 pm
Reminds me of a funny story which I didn’t find funny at that time. I was once bathing a baby when thanks to Murphy’s law the bell rang just as I put her into the tub. I decided to do a quick soaping and only go to the door once done but the bell rang many times continuously. Sensing that this must be really urgent I grabbed a towel and took the baby out only to find some little neighbors at the door with a raffle or pushka. Punch

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:17 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I was just going to give this scenario. My daughter slipped the other day when trying to stand up in the tub. I was sitting the tub’s ledge , I caught her in the middle of her fall. If I was not there next to her she would have smashed her head on the bathtub hard. My DH lost his front tooth after slipping in a bathtub as a young child. Injuries happen within seconds. Sometimes you need to be there to break their fall.

I was going to say this. Besides for the obvious and very dangerous drowning risks, the bathtub is very slippery. My 2 year old would stand up in a second and could fall and bang his head. There are many possible injuries in this scenario. Please, don’t do it.

My4Jewels

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:23 pm
OP

I suggest you find someone in your home like your dh or a babysitter who can be inconvenienced enough to be sure your child remains alive and without any brain damage while you cook in the kitchen during her bath time.

Here’s another thought how would you feel if you hired a babysitter and she left
Your baby unattended during a bath and your child became severely injured from this. Would you find her negligent?? Or just something terrible that was an unavoidable accident where she did everything to keep your baby safe but something terrible still happened?

I am beyond sickened but people’s lack of knowledge about basic safety. I am seriously dumbfounded. I really am so naive.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because it's not.

For a child to drown they need to be under water for at least 30 seconds. Which won't happen because I have my eyes on her and can hear her.
what about if they inhale water? Then how long does it take?

amother
White

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:26 pm
PSA regarding all the burn scenarios

There are temperature settings on your boiler, any home with young children should always have the temperature set on the lowest possible setting.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:30 pm
I bring in my phone or ipad and I sit and work next to her while she plays in the bath. This way stuff gets done and she gets her supervised bathtime.

My kid also will suddenly stand up and try to climb out alone, but isn't able to do so safely, so that's another safety risk.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics