Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Leaving child in the bathtub with a monitor
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Blessing1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:03 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
Same. I even most of the time leave the door a crack open so I can see just by passing by. Though many times they tell me to close it cuz, ma, it's not tznuas Smile Also, I shampoo their hair, so I keep asking, where you upto...

I once had, my 6 yr old was in the bath and I called her name, no answer. I called another few times and she didn't answer. I jumped up and ran.. I find her sitting there and smiling. She was simply playing with me!! Twisted Evil gosh!! My neshama was nearly out

Oh god!! DD did the same thing! The blood started draining from my face!!

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:08 pm
malki2 wrote:
I didn’t see all of the reactions yet, but I assume that you are joking. All it takes is for you to get a phone call and get distracted for 10 seconds.

At this point in the day we are allowing our toddlers to cook already in the next thread. Why stop at bathing alone?

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:11 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
Same. I even most of the time leave the door a crack open so I can see just by passing by. Though many times they tell me to close it cuz, ma, it's not tznuas Smile Also, I shampoo their hair, so I keep asking, where you upto...

I once had, my 6 yr old was in the bath and I called her name, no answer. I called another few times and she didn't answer. I jumped up and ran.. I find her sitting there and smiling. She was simply playing with me!! Twisted Evil gosh!! My neshama was nearly out
Yes my kids think I’m nuts. I’ll tell them, you have to keep talking! I need to know what you’re up to! Baths scare the wits out of me.

I prefer when they take showers but my 6 year old doesn’t like them.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I agree you should be physically in the bathroom during a bath for a young child.

One suggestion I have is also in general, even when you're there the whole time, to put in just a little water in the bath, like a couple of inches are enough to splash around and I think it's probably safer with less water.

My older children generally take showers, but what age would you consider a child ok taking a bath alone?

5 or 6, depending on the child. I recently started leaving my 5.5 year old by himself in the bath for a couple minutes, at his request. He wants to wash his body on his own, and he calls me to wash his hair. I told him that I'm ok with it as long as he's talking or singing so I know he's safe. It's working out b"h. I stay close by, and he's keeping up his end of the deal since he likes singing while in the bath, anyway.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:02 pm
I would never risk it. I know somebody whose adorable toddler drowned in a bath tub. We get distracted even if we don't mean to. Please, dont do it.
I only allowed my toddler to play in the tub when I was able to sit there the whole time. I made sure to put away time for this at least once or twice a week.

Stars

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Skip the bath. Keep her filthy. Just keep her alive.

🏅

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 9:37 am
I know someone who left her 4 year old and 2 year old playing in the bath together while she was right nearby and able to hear them the whole time.

Her 4 year old drowned and died.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 11:00 am
a child can easily slip and go under in less then a second. Thinks of the panic the toddler has to go through while swallowing tons of water and gasping for air till you get there.
My toddler drowned in a daycamp pool and many years later is still traumatized
Besides its extremely irresponsible. Any parent questioning this obviously has other parenting issues of borderline neglect

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 11:04 am
Brain damage happens in three minutes. NO ONE, including adults, and even good swimmers should be left alone in a body of water in which they can drown. One can have a heart attack, a stroke or just pass out. I’m not saying an adult shouldn’t take a bath by them self in a normal bathtub but if it’s a bathtub for two, or exceptionally deep then you could easily lose consciousness and drown in it. This goes 1000% for children. An inch of water can be drowned in by someone who is unconscious.

I will not get off my lifeguard soap box.

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Eat supper in peace, nurse the baby, talk on the phone...

I cant tell if this is a joke or not. This whole thread.

You can eat in peace when the kids are sleeping if you really believe you need that. Otherwise, moms have to wait until their kids are out of the house for that luxury.

Nurse the baby in the bathroom while the other kid is in the bath.

Talk on the phone when kids are sleeping.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 11:28 am
The safety of doing this depends on whether there is water in the tub.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 11:38 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
The safety of doing this depends on whether there is water in the tub.
Thumbs Up

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do keep my eyes on the monitor every second. It's set up next to me on the counter and I don't move from there.

I'm not concerned about drowning. It's not possible to happen.

But thanks for pointing out the burn concern. I didn't think of that, that is why I asked.
Although she's incapable of turning on the faucet right now.

Toddlers hit milestone overnight. She might be able to next time and you wouldn't know till it's too late.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:06 pm
Rather he cry that he can’t play more than 5 minutes than you cry fir the rest of your life because you will never forgive yourself if something happens. Extremely negligent to leave the child alone in the bathtub even with a monitor.

devo1982

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:47 pm
So on the one hand, OP, you say you are keeping your eyes and ears on her the whole time even though you're in the kitchen, but then you say you sometimes use that time to talk on the phone. If you think for a moment you can appropriately pay attention to your toddler in the bath while you talk on the phone in a different room, you are telling yourself a pretty story to make yourself feel better.

I pray that you never have reason to regret the decision you apparently seem bent on making and justifying.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because it's not.

For a child to drown they need to be under water for at least 30 seconds. Which won't happen because I have my eyes on her and can hear her.

Do you know what dry drowning is? All that has to happen is that they breathe it in. Also pneumonia can be caused by bath water. Oils from soaps can coat the lungs. Maybe do some research about the topic. Thirty seconds isn’t a thing. Three minutes is brain damaged. But that doesn’t mean other things can’t happen. Head injuries. Broken arm.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:02 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
PSA regarding all the burn scenarios

There are temperature settings on your boiler, any home with young children should always have the temperature set on the lowest possible setting.

Does this work on an israeli home?

malki2

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:32 pm
DH and I are going to Israel. Can we leave the 2-year old home with a monitor? It’s a 7-hour time difference, so that makes up for some lost time if we need to hop on a plane should we happen to see anything funny. . .

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:24 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Does this work on an israeli home?

I believe there is a way to adjust the settings on a dud chashmal but I'm not sure how.

I also know someone whose kid was badly burned this way.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:37 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I believe there is a way to adjust the settings on a dud chashmal but I'm not sure how.

I also know someone whose kid was badly burned this way.

Just curious. I would never leave a kid alone but yeah.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics