Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How did you decide on a seminary?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 5:06 pm
Who helped you pick a seminary for your daughter?
What was most helpful?
Is there anyone you can recommend that can help with this?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:43 pm
Following.
I also have a daughter in 12 grade and no clue as to what to look for.
I know one of the teachers is in charge of guiding the girls about where to apply.
Now with covid I'm not even sure Israel is really a hood idea.
In the USA choices are so limited.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 6:52 pm
I just decided not to go. It was a lot simpler that way and I grew a lot that year despite not going. Never regretted it

agreer

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:21 pm
My principal told me where to apply. I went to the one that accepted me

Simple1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 7:28 pm
There are staff in my girls' school who guides the girls through the process. You have to first think through the criteria that are important to you, for example academics, level of social pressure, financials, Israel vs local.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:34 pm
Most hs have a designated teacher who guides the students and parents. Find out who it is and speak to her. They usually really understand the schools and the students

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 11:55 pm
Just throwing this in, but I went to the wrong seminary for me. I did my best for the first couple of months, but it just wasn't working - and the staff were also aware that I was very unhappy. They knew the whole system much better than I did, and once they knew me they could also tell where would be a better place for me. They actually helped me transfer to a place that suited me much better.

Obviously it would have been nice to be there from the beginning, but my year was by no means ruined. I had a great time for most of the year, and the initial mistake taught me a lot myself about and my capabilities. There were a few girls who this happened to every year,( though I didn't know if that is still the case.) A wrong seminary decision doesn't gave to be the end of the world.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:18 am
Also have a 12 grade DD. Very torn about where to send her for a multitude of reasons. Not going to list them here as I am not interested in everyone's 2 cents, which is of course jaded by their life experiences and baggage.
Israel guidance is a great department and tells you all about the schools, but their is no way that they can possibly know what is best from a combined academic, psychosocial, emotional, and religious aspect for all 100 girls in the grade. They have quotas/caps, pushy parents, and reputations to uphold. They want their girls in the best schools because it makes them look good. They can't send too many to each individual school. It's a numbers game.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:39 am
My DDs chose through a mixture of teachers' advice, speaking to older girls who had RECENTLY been, and researching the sems themselves (brochures, sem reps who visited the school etc).

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:39 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Also have a 12 grade DD. Very torn about where to send her for a multitude of reasons. Not going to list them here as I am not interested in everyone's 2 cents, which is of course jaded by their life experiences and baggage.
Israel guidance is a great department and tells you all about the schools, but their is no way that they can possibly know what is best from a combined academic, psychosocial, emotional, and religious aspect for all 100 girls in the grade. They have quotas/caps, pushy parents, and reputations to uphold. They want their girls in the best schools because it makes them look good. They can't send too many to each individual school. It's a numbers game.

Sounds like you might be a little jaded, too.

Believe it or not, most schools just want to see the kids in the right place. Yes, there are pushy parents, and yes, it's not good for a program if fully half of the girls come from the same high school. And still, a lot of effort goes into making sure that kids find the right place. Really.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:06 am
It's helpful if your dd has a teacher who she feels knows her well. She can ask this teacher to help her and give input to those in school who usually do this.

Schools usually have you apply to three seminaries. Make sure your dd is comfortable with all three, even in she has a favorite. Because once the applications go out, she will likely end up at whichever of the three takes her.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:33 am
I have a daughter in 12th grade as well. She is really the one making the decision where to apply, along with the advice given by her principal/teachers. Although I will of course look into the schools to make sure that I am comfortable sending there before she applies, it's really up to her to narrow down the options, not me. She has spoken to girls who came back from seminary within the past 1-2 years and is in touch with friends who are there now (although we both know that this year the situation is different, but it does help to hear how the different schools are handling everything). Does your daughter know what she is looking for in a seminary?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions