Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Will my 20mo qualify for speech therapy?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:53 am
My 20 month old son says
Nuh (nuch-more)
Doo (this/here)
Hemmm (when riding his toy cars)
Heis (hot)
Eeee (eech-me. Used only when I ask in a drawn out way "who wants.......?" And he'll answer regardless if he wants that or not.)
He says the B sound for baby book bus etc...
I may have missed a word or 2, but not more. He doesn't have any typical first words like tata, mama, yes, no....
But. He's a smart child. Tells me exactly what he wants without a word. Follows directions well. Feeds himself with spoon. Jumps with both feet off the ground simultaneously. Points to all body parts on himself, a doll, or a picture in a book. Etc...
So while I'm not really concerned, and have confidence in him that he'll start talking when he's ready, I wouldn't mind getting him speech therapy. But I don't want to go through the hassle of applying and evaluating if he very likely won't qualify. (I remember hearing that a child has to be delayed in more than one area in order to qualify.)
Do you think he'll qualify? I live in Rockland County and have Fidelis if that makes a difference.
Whom do you recommend to do the evaluation by?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 11:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 20 month old son says
Nuh (nuch-more)
Doo (this/here)
Hemmm (when riding his toy cars)
Heis (hot)
Eeee (eech-me. Used only when I ask in a drawn out way "who wants.......?" And he'll answer regardless if he wants that or not.)
He says the B sound for baby book bus etc...
I may have missed a word or 2, but not more. He doesn't have any typical first words like tata, mama, yes, no....
But. He's a smart child. Tells me exactly what he wants without a word. Follows directions well. Feeds himself with spoon. Jumps with both feet off the ground simultaneously. Points to all body parts on himself, a doll, or a picture in a book. Etc...
So while I'm not really concerned, and have confidence in him that he'll start talking when he's ready, I wouldn't mind getting him speech therapy. But I don't want to go through the hassle of applying and evaluating if he very likely won't qualify. (I remember hearing that a child has to be delayed in more than one area in order to qualify.)
Do you think he'll qualify? I live in Rockland County and have Fidelis if that makes a difference.
Whom do you recommend to do the evaluation by?

my 20 month old said more and got approved for 2 times a week...definitely get him evaluated.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:05 pm
I am a speech therapist. I think your son would qualify.
However, for your own peace of mind, don't worry too much about him if his comprehension is good.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:13 pm
Is this another one of those lighthearted threads? I'm confused. Scratching Head

DD only knew a few words, and several "baby signs" at 20 months. She understood everything that was going on around her, though, and always responded appropriately.

At 22 months she started speaking PARAGRAPHS with perfect enunciation. I kid you not. By the time she turned 3, everyone called her "The Little Professor".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is a joke thread, then I suggest you read the dictionary to your child every night. Do not allow them to go to sleep until they can repeat 5 new words perfectly, and use them in a sentence. Do this every single night until they pass their SATs.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Is this another one of those lighthearted threads? I'm confused. Scratching Head

DD only knew a few words, and several "baby signs" at 20 months. She understood everything that was going on around her, though, and always responded appropriately.

At 22 months she started speaking PARAGRAPHS with perfect enunciation. I kid you not. By the time she turned 3, everyone called her "The Little Professor".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is a joke thread, then I suggest you read the dictionary to your child every night. Do not allow them to go to sleep until they can repeat 5 new words perfectly, and use them in a sentence. Do this every single night until they pass their SATs.

Duh! Of course I read him the dictionary! And the encyclopedia! He writes well, but doesn't speak yet. His writings are all over my walls. In pen, he's too mature for crayons. Little professor indeed!

I was serious lol.
The reason I'm not concerned is because his comprehension is fine. I have a feeling that one day he'll decide to talk and everything will come in at once. But until then I wouldn't mind having someone come play with him every few days... (I know, unlike monitors therapists are not babysitters, and I'll probably have to sit right there, but sitting on the couch watching someone play with my child sounds enticing! Maybe I'll even get to drink a coffee without my toddlers help!)

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Duh! Of course I read him the dictionary! And the encyclopedia! He writes well, but doesn't speak yet. His writings are all over my walls. In pen, he's too mature for crayons. Little professor indeed!

I was serious lol.
The reason I'm not concerned is because his comprehension is fine. I have a feeling that one day he'll decide to talk and everything will come in at once. But until then I wouldn't mind having someone come play with him every few days... (I know, unlike monitors therapists are not babysitters, and I'll probably have to sit right there, but sitting on the couch watching someone play with my child sounds enticing! Maybe I'll even get to drink a coffee without my toddlers help!)

One day a week I go to a family that speaks Spanish at home, so I can play with their daughter and speak English to her. The girl is in Gan and her Hebrew is coming along pretty well. She recently turned 4 and she's almost completely trilingual.

You gotta step up your game!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:28 pm
Yes! He can totally get approved. Good news is, he’ll make quick progress because he’s doing so well in all the other language areas. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
One day a week I go to a family that speaks Spanish at home, so I can play with their daughter and speak English to her. The girl is in Gan and her Hebrew is coming along pretty well. She recently turned 4 and she's almost completely trilingual.

You gotta step up your game!

Well my kid writes in Chinese. Beat that! Tongue Out

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well my kid writes in Chinese. Beat that! Tongue Out

My kid babysits the monster in his bathtub

mommy100

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:55 pm
Not sure where you are located but in NY if he is under two and his comprehension is good he will not qualify for speech services, you are better off waiting for his second birthday and then applying.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:10 pm
mommy100 wrote:
Not sure where you are located but in NY if he is under two and his comprehension is good he will not qualify for speech services, you are better off waiting for his second birthday and then applying.

Do you know if NYC or NYS makes a difference? I'm in Rockland County. I think he'll be talking before he turns 2.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:12 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
My kid babysits the monster in his bathtub

Mine babysits the neighbor's monsters via a monitor!

mommy100

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:57 pm
Sorry not familiar with Rockland country regulations I work in Brooklyn

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:13 pm
It's true, once they hit 24 months they are much more likely to qualify. But it is a waste of 4 months.
Can you afford to go private?
Based on what you are saying, there is a possibility of verbal apraxia. I'm by no means a therapist though so can be way off.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:23 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
It's true, once they hit 24 months they are much more likely to qualify. But it is a waste of 4 months.
Can you afford to go private?
Based on what you are saying, there is a possibility of verbal apraxia. I'm by no means a therapist though so can be way off.

Apraxic kids generally only use vowels. (Obviously there are some exceptions).
OP, does he seem to be groping for the word to use? Is he struggling to get his sounds out.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Apraxic kids generally only use vowels. (Obviously there are some exceptions).
OP, does he seem to be groping for the word to use? Is he struggling to get his sounds out.

While I'm sure you are right in that it's usually the case- my son was diagnosed with MILD (so might be diff) appraxia around 20 months. He was saying consonant sounds but only the beginning sounds. Like bah for ball and bottle etc. Receptive vocabulary was off the charts high. Bh all is well now.
Anyway OP, if possible, pay private until 24months , then get EI evaluation

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 7:37 pm
If he says at least 10 words and copies what you say and babbles then he wouldnt be qualified for speech. My son around the same age is like that and was evaluated and wasnt approved

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:07 pm
While I'm sure you are right in that it's usually the case- my son was diagnosed with MILD (so might be diff) appraxia around 20 months. He was saying consonant sounds but only the beginning sounds. Like bah for ball and bottle etc. Receptive vocabulary was off the charts high. Bh all is well now.

That's interesting. I never heard of that. He isn't struggling to get words out, he isn't even trying. He babbles, I'm not sure he has all consonants but I think he does. None of his words have 2 consonants though.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:10 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
If he says at least 10 words and copies what you say and babbles then he wouldnt be qualified for speech. My son around the same age is like that and was evaluated and wasnt approved

He doesn't have 10 words. I'd say he has 5-7. He doesn't copy what I say. Not even single consonant sounds.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:13 pm

For drinking coffee on the couch you can get a babysitter for $12 an hour , or $6 in a group? No need to pay $200 an hour for that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics