Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Wokeness is our biggest danger right now

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:10 pm
Wokeness will be our downfall. I don’t even wanna call them democrats because that word used to mean something.
Woke culture is toxic for Jews. All jews. Even the woke jews who are still fawning and trying to get into the cool kids club.
It is the end of freedom we’ve enjoyed for decades.
I really feel it will be the downfall of America as a whole but specifically for Jewish people across the spectrum.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:14 pm
I know. I'm terrified.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:15 pm
I think what I dislike most is this idea to need to make it very apparent how "woke" one is. I don't like the idea of needing to show everyone how (self)righteous I am in order to be a "good person".

banana123

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:19 pm
What does "woke culture" mean?

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:21 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I think what I dislike most is this idea to need to make it very apparent how "woke" one is. I don't like the idea of needing to show everyone how (self)righteous I am in order to be a "good person".

Virtue signaling
It’s kind of a survival thing for some and a brainwashed thing for others. Kind of cult-like if you think about it.

Fox

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:30 pm
banana123 wrote:
What does "woke culture" mean?

I'm not a fan of Wikipedia, but this sums it up pretty well:

Quote:
Woke is a political term originating in the United States referring to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice. It derives from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

By the late 2010s, woke had been adopted as a more generic slang term broadly associated with left-wing politics, socially liberal and cultural issues (with the terms woke culture and woke politics also being used).

Wikipedia

Another phrase, "woke capital," refers to businesses using expressions of solidarity with social/racial justice concerns as a marketing strategy.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:33 pm
Love how they're so woke about being equal. But suddenly fall aslope when it comes to the Jews.

Fox

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:34 pm
This post from Quora in 2017 explains some of the features of "woke culture" in more concrete terms:

Quote:
“Woke” culture is a subculture from America that focuses on social justice-related, anarchist, or leftist issues, such as

* microaggressions (offensive phrases that make others feel excluded),
* police actions against Blacks,
* high rates of poverty driving Blacks, Native Americans, and Latinos into poverty,
* attacks against Muslims, or suspicion against them by associating them with the terrorists who use similar beliefs,
* and some degree of environmentalism.

The “woke” part of its name is from the slang phrase “stay woke”, which means “to be aware of an issue”: in this case, it is various issues affecting minorities in the United States and other Western countries.

It also focuses on feminism and pushing for LGBT rights, even forcibly interrupting social venues
to draw everyone's attention towards them. Even though it has attracted younger and tech-savvy audiences who look up to the “woke” subculture to demand improvements to their current condition, due to the subculture's members’ irritable and aggressive behaviour, many people also avoid it.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:41 pm
So explain to me again why we live in a blue state where people are expected to be"woke"? I may feel bad for the blacks but my day to day life won't change because of their situation. I like on a street that is 💯% Jewish. No diversity here.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:48 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Love how they're so woke about being equal. But suddenly fall aslope when it comes to the Jews.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics