Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
When to get a wig washed and set

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:16 pm
Hiya, been married a few months... new to this all... how do I know when my sheital is due for a wash and set? It looks pretty flat now with some bounce at the bottom (more natural)... not sure if that means it needs to be freshened up

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hiya, been married a few months... new to this all... how do I know when my sheital is due for a wash and set? It looks pretty flat now with some bounce at the bottom (more natural)... not sure if that means it needs to be freshened up

It sounds like it's ready to be washed. How often do you wear it and when was the last time it was washed?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
It sounds like it's ready to be washed. How often do you wear it and when was the last time it was washed?

Since I got married it got washed and set once. Then I was home all the time bc of covid so I wore snoods but I just started working so maybe Ive worn it like 20x in total

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Since I got married it got washed and set once. Then I was home all the time bc of covid so I wore snoods but I just started working so maybe Ive worn it like 20x in total

If you wear it every day it needs to be washed after about 6 weeks. You'll see when it needs it.
If you don't wear it every day then basically the equivalent amount of wears.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:49 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
If you wear it every day it needs to be washed after about 6 weeks. You'll see when it needs it.
If you don't wear it every day then basically the equivalent amount of wears.

I sound so ignorant I dont really know what that means. I switch off between my wig and a fall so I wear it like 3x a week maybe

Does a wig start to look greasy after a while and maybe thats how I can tell it will need to be washed?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:53 pm
whenever you think it looks like it needs. my shabbos shaitel I wear for seudah friday night and a few hours shabbos morning. I wash it 1-2 times a year- and even then it really can go for longer, but I feel weird leaving for so long. if it smells good and looks nice, you dont need to run. some ppl like it natural.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
whenever you think it looks like it needs. my shabbos shaitel I wear for seudah friday night and a few hours shabbos morning. I wash it 1-2 times a year- and even then it really can go for longer, but I feel weird leaving for so long. if it smells good and looks nice, you dont need to run. some ppl like it natural.

WOW! I just got a new sheital for shabbos and Ive worn it a few times and the curls/flips all dropped by now, I was debating to get it restyled. How does yours looks? Natural?

cuffs

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

When it starts to look oily or doesn't smell good. I would day once every 3 months.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I sound so ignorant I dont really know what that means. I switch off between my wig and a fall so I wear it like 3x a week maybe

Does a wig start to look greasy after a while and maybe thats how I can tell it will need to be washed?

Yes it gets greasy and flat. If you're wearing it half time then probably around 12 weeks. Keep your eye out in case it needs washing sooner than that.

amother
OP

cuffs wrote:
When it starts to look oily or doesn't smell good. I would day once every 3 months.

it smells fine thats the thing! but the curls all just dropped. its an rx, are those more natural looking?

amother
OP

amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Yes it gets greasy and flat. If you're wearing it half time then probably around 12 weeks. Keep your eye out in case it needs washing sooner than that.

thanks amber!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
WOW! I just got a new sheital for shabbos and Ive worn it a few times and the curls/flips all dropped by now, I was debating to get it restyled. How does yours looks? Natural?

Ask your stylist to show you how to touch it up, for the in between times when it falls, before it needs to be washed.

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:40 pm
The person who does my wigs told me to hold off washing as much as possible. She said the wash and sets are what shortens the life of a wig. I’ll pop in to have it styled if I’m going somewhere special. Wigs are looking more natural today - unless you have something super styled. I find wigs with bangs need more frequent washing, although sometimes I wash the bangs in my own and that does the trick. Wigs without bangs can usually go a long while.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 8:51 am
Btw advice for curls is to get a shorter head for the sheital so the curls are supported and not drooping. Also you can get 'curlers' to help hold the curls in. Or use hairspray to help keep the curls in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels