Home

Anyone have a daughter in Bais Faiga- 7th grade?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:57 pm
How is she managing with the workload, homework, tests this year?
My daughter is completely overwhelmed. She is miserable. After a whole day of working hard in school she has hours of studying every night.
If other girls are feeling similar then perhaps we can do something to ease the pressure.
Back to top

proudmom8




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Oct 22 2020, 6:55 pm
Omg I feel so validated for myself and my daughter. My daughter is in 6th grade and the amount of exams, quizzes and homework is not fair. She is working so hard and so overwhelmed. Some nights she literally complains that she’s so tired and wants to go to sleep already but can’t bec she still has too much schoolwork. Why?????

ETA: Bais Faiga as well
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Oct 22 2020, 7:15 pm
proudmom8 wrote:
Omg I feel so validated for myself and my daughter. My daughter is in 6th grade and the amount of exams, quizzes and homework is not fair. She is working so hard and so overwhelmed. Some nights she literally complains that she’s so tired and wants to go to sleep already but can’t bec she still has too much schoolwork. Why?????

ETA: Bais Faiga as well


Yes, last year was a crazy amount of work as well. Just when I thought we couldn’t take the intense pressure anymore, school was closed due to corona. It only gets harder in 7th grade. I’m not sure why they do this. My daughter told me that she heard girls complaining on the bus how stressed out they are. So sad.
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post  Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:38 pm
Bais faiga seventh grader here also. Mine definitely complains a lot but she definitely has plenty of free time on her hands so I don’t get the impression she is overworking. She is outside playing ball tons and on the phone with camp friends half the night.
Just curious what time yours go to bed? Mine complains bitterly about her 10:45 bedtime.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Oct 22 2020, 8:57 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Bais faiga seventh grader here also. Mine definitely complains a lot but she definitely has plenty of free time on her hands so I don’t get the impression she is overworking. She is outside playing ball tons and on the phone with camp friends half the night.
Just curious what time yours go to bed? Mine complains bitterly about her 10:45 bedtime.


In general my daughter has a hard time with school work so the extra pressure of so many tests is too much for her. She rarely has free time and could really use it.
She’s officially supposed to go to sleep at 10 but gives me a hard time. Most nights she’s probably still up till close to 11 and of course is very tired in the morning. She’s usually busy studying till around 9:30 and needs down time. She likes reading in bed until I realize that her light still on.
I guess if a girl isn’t struggling academically it isn’t too much work as it seems with your daughter. It’s just hard for me to see my daughter struggling and under so much pressure.
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post  Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:41 pm
Last year was super hard for my daughter to get used to the amount of work she had, so I hired another 6th grade Bais faiga teacher Who really taught her how to study and deal with the work load. I really believe that is why this year is much easier for her.

This isn’t my first daughter... some worked really hard and some less. Depending on how consciences they are or how academic. Also depending on the teachers. Some are definitely more demanding.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:17 pm
My DD seems okay (7th grade BF) but my experience has been that it varies by the teacher. Some are known to load it on more than others.

I would say that every night she does a few minutes of math h.w. which I then check to make sure she gets it (I find that math isn't her strong point and sometimes she totally misunderstood the teacher and had no idea what she was doing. I've basically taken over teaching her math. But it doesn't take long), followed by maybe 10 minutes of Chumash. On top of that, depends if there's a test. She likes me to test her (usually sheets, etc.) and that can take time. I wish she were a little more self-sufficient.

Gray amother, would you share which teacher taught your DD study skills?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:30 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My DD seems okay (7th grade BF) but my experience has been that it varies by the teacher. Some are known to load it on more than others.

I would say that every night she does a few minutes of math h.w. which I then check to make sure she gets it (I find that math isn't her strong point and sometimes she totally misunderstood the teacher and had no idea what she was doing. I've basically taken over teaching her math. But it doesn't take long), followed by maybe 10 minutes of Chumash. On top of that, depends if there's a test. She likes me to test her (usually sheets, etc.) and that can take time. I wish she were a little more self-sufficient.

Gray amother, would you share which teacher taught your DD study skills?


So good you know the math! I’m not always sure embarrassed Can't Believe It
And for Chumash (quiz every day) there are no sheets but pages and pages of dd’s hand written notes which I can barely read
I think this year dd’s teachers are not the best. They seem young and happy to pile up work. They’re missing the touch of warmth and spark of fun that even the big girls need and appreciate.
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:36 pm
I feel for all of them
BTDT
I remember when my girls were in H.S.
MOST nights they were up past 12
As soon as they got home they ate dinner and went straight to the dining room to do hw and study.
When I complained they told me they try to keep the girls busy so they don’t get into trouble.
I don’t believe this a girl that wants to do trouble will find a way
It got so bad that I had to get the literature reading on audio and they would listen while getting ready or on the way to school
Sometimes work just was not done.

The worst was one science teacher, she would teach something different than from the text book.
The tests were from the text book. Teacher would teach current innovative discoveries, which is great but that meant the girls had to learn the subject matter on their own. She would say “just read the chapter”. Chemistry and Physics gets hard.

If a group of parents agree and ban together maybe you’ll be heard.
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:40 pm
It got so bad that my girls would not be part of production just to get a respite and catch up with makeup tests and assignments
Back to top

amother




Papaya
 

Post  Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So good you know the math! I’m not always sure embarrassed Can't Believe It
And for Chumash (quiz every day) there are no sheets but pages and pages of dd’s hand written notes which I can barely read
I think this year dd’s teachers are not the best. They seem young and happy to pile up work. They’re missing the touch of warmth and spark of fun that even the big girls need and appreciate.


If your daughter is having a hard time def speak up- I wouldn’t bother complaining but rather ask for solutions. For example- can the teacher share her notes if your daughter isn’t a great note taker? (Or get from someone else in the class but if the teacher had hers clear that’s the best). Can she be exempt from somethings?
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:01 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I feel for all of them
BTDT
I remember when my girls were in H.S.
MOST nights they were up past 12
As soon as they got home they ate dinner and went straight to the dining room to do hw and study.
When I complained they told me they try to keep the girls busy so they don’t get into trouble.
I don’t believe this a girl that wants to do trouble will find a way
It got so bad that I had to get the literature reading on audio and they would listen while getting ready or on the way to school
Sometimes work just was not done.

The worst was one science teacher, she would teach something different than from the text book.
The tests were from the text book. Teacher would teach current innovative discoveries, which is great but that meant the girls had to learn the subject matter on their own. She would say “just read the chapter”. Chemistry and Physics gets hard.

If a group of parents agree and ban together maybe you’ll be heard.


Interesting. When we were looking for high schools for my oldest DD, one high school administrator told us this - that they deliberately keep the girls very busy to keep them out of trouble.

I have more confidence in my DD's than that. We sent to BK and there they have extras that can keep a girl busy if she wants it. But she doesn't have to. Those who didn't need the pressure didn't volunteer for the extras. They had the downtime they needed (except during exam time which of course was crazy, but at least for limited duration.) And B"H my girls never got into trouble, their good kids.

That's really ridiculous, that a teacher would expect the girls to basically teach themselves. I personally did not encounter that till college classes. I would complain to the school about that.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So good you know the math! I’m not always sure embarrassed Can't Believe It
And for Chumash (quiz every day) there are no sheets but pages and pages of dd’s hand written notes which I can barely read
I think this year dd’s teachers are not the best. They seem young and happy to pile up work. They’re missing the touch of warmth and spark of fun that even the big girls need and appreciate.


Yikes I'm sorry. That is tough. Maybe you can find something online to help you with math so you can help her. Sounds rough.

About the notes boy I can relate. Illegible hand-writing runs in my family, I actually sent DD to OT for that. Last year, I had her read me her notes and I used to type them up. Then I'd print it off and test her off of my notes. By teaching it to me, she studied.

This year she's gotten somewhat better (so far) and is needing less help (so far).

B"H DD's Hebrew teacher seems great, youngish but she seems to get the students, and the pace has not been crazy. English teachers, well, I'm teaching her math so far. One teacher seems rarely comes, lots of subs.
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:18 pm
My daughter is in 7th grade in another Lakewood school. She's KAH extremely bright and still finding the work load overwhelming. She spent one night last week 4 hours doing h.w.!
I think it's a combination of the grade shift, more teachers this year, also they're not used to working so hard bec out of school/regular schedule for so long.
I guess it takes time!
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 1:25 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Interesting. When we were looking for high schools for my oldest DD, one high school administrator told us this - that they deliberately keep the girls very busy to keep them out of trouble.

I have more confidence in my DD's than that. We sent to BK and there they have extras that can keep a girl busy if she wants it. But she doesn't have to. Those who didn't need the pressure didn't volunteer for the extras. They had the downtime they needed (except during exam time which of course was crazy, but at least for limited duration.) And B"H my girls never got into trouble, their good kids.

That's really ridiculous, that a teacher would expect the girls to basically teach themselves. I personally did not encounter that till college classes. I would complain to the school about that.


We live OOT
The science was a college credit course, but still teacher needs to teach the course not tell students to learn it on their own reading the text book
Back to top

amother




Burgundy
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:24 pm
Please also consider writing an letter to the voice of lakewood (and if you want) some people wrote in about 2 weeks ago. But it was not addressed because there was not enough response. The principals are going crazy competing who could produce the smartest students its getting out of hand. My child is in a different school 2 grades younger but pressure is already starting. I would rather they put in an extra gym class that I feel these kids could use. I overheard a parent complaining to a high-school teacher that her daughter studied so hard, was so stressed for a test and came home crying because she got a 80. the teacher told her that was the highest mark. High school students need the challenge to sharpen there mind. Im getting stressed just thinking about it. This is mental child labor
Back to top

keym




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:32 pm
I feel we need to separate two very different educational concepts
1) the level of learning 2) study skills and note taking

My daughter found that 6th and 7th grades were the two most challenging years, not so much for the level of learning, but the independent study skills and multiple teachers.
They were learning how to take notes as opposed to relying on teacher handouts. To review the material for the next day, and to plan their assignment schedule including breaking up studying for tests.

I will say that my daughter is in 9th grade in high school, and she can tell which schools teach these study skills and which schools the students head into 9th grade totally unprepared for juggling the workload of 14 teachers
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:47 pm
keym wrote:
I feel we need to separate two very different educational concepts
1) the level of learning 2) study skills and note taking

My daughter found that 6th and 7th grades were the two most challenging years, not so much for the level of learning, but the independent study skills and multiple teachers.
They were learning how to take notes as opposed to relying on teacher handouts. To review the material for the next day, and to plan their assignment schedule including breaking up studying for tests.

I will say that my daughter is in 9th grade in high school, and she can tell which schools teach these study skills and which schools the students head into 9th grade totally unprepared for juggling the workload of 14 teachers


Did your daughter go to Bais Faiga?
Back to top

keym




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did your daughter go to Bais Faiga?


Yes
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:07 pm
BTW it's a known thing that BF ups the academic level in 6th grade. Mrs. Epstein believes in keeping things a bit more chilled for younger children, so they have more downtime, and then upping the level later on in order that they come to high school prepared.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Bais Yaakov of the Rockies
by amother
2 Today at 8:29 pm View last post
Anyone know of Chedvy Weinberg Wigs??
by amother
16 Today at 7:59 pm View last post
ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH ZISSY WIGS?
by amother
10 Today at 7:50 pm View last post
Anyone have info about the lunch pick-ups?
by amother
1297 Today at 4:34 pm View last post
Did anyone make aliyah and it didn't work out?
by amother
5 Today at 10:31 am View last post