Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
A serious thread- what age do you allow children to cross th
1  2  Next

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:57 pm
The street?

In a busy city with crossing lights?

Quieter area with only stop signs and no side walks?

I know it really depends on maturity of child but curious on approximate age range & what you look at to decide child is ready to cross.

And ladies- I love you all and your sense of humor, but I really do want to keep this discussion serious & respectful (no mom shaming, cps calling threats etc)

Thanks!

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 12:59 pm
Between 8-10

Depending on the kids maturity.

Bp.

cbg

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:03 pm
10 if mature enough, and they need to show me

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:03 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Between 8-10

Depending on the kids maturity.

Bp.

I was allowed to cross one-way streets at age 8, two-way streets at age 9-10, and Coney Island/Ocean Parkway at 10-11 (since my parents had no choice). I'm the oldest and pretty responsible ftr. Flatbush.

I think I'd follow my parents' lead, depending on the maturity of the kid.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:06 pm
I let my son cross the quiet side street next to my house when he was 8. I think this year as he is turning 10 I will teach him to cross busier streets that have a stop light.

ExtraCredit

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:06 pm

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:20 pm
What about a 1 way street in Brooklyn without a light? What about a 2 way Avenue without a light and no stop sign ex 19th Avenue 17th Ave?

ExtraCredit

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
What about a 1 way street in Brooklyn without a light? What about a 2 way Avenue without a light and no stop sign ex 19th Avenue 17th Ave?

I don’t suddenly allow street crossing because they had their 9th birthday. I train them in. Teach them the rules. See if they can cross responsibly whenever I walk together with them. After quite a bit of practice I trust them alone. How am I doing Gamzehyaavor? Keeping a straight face. Forehead creased. wondering

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:33 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

One way without a light - is there a stop sign? Same age as one with a light, I think, unless it's an all-way stop sign that drivers often ignore.

19th Ave and 17th Ave have no light or stop sign? At which streets? Never noticed that, but as I said, I'm from Flatbush.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:34 pm
8 or 9 for small side streets and around 10 for busier streets near our house. Once I see they can do that responsibly, they come back on time and they know directions well enough I allow them to walk to friends or stores that are more than a block or two away.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:36 pm
One way or very quiet streets 8-9 depending on the maturity of the kid. Busy streets with many lanes or very busy intersections with no lights 11-12.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:36 pm
I was allowed to cross one way streets, with light, at age 6. Two way streets, with light, at age 7.

In the book Ramona the Pest, Ramona and Howie were allowed to walk to school - crossing a few streets, without a traffic light, at age FIVE. This was written in 1970s.

Also a first grade check list from the 1970s listed being able to walk around the neighborhood as a
readiness sign for First Grade.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
One way without a light - is there a stop sign? Same age as one with a light, I think, unless it's an all-way stop sign that drivers often ignore.

19th Ave and 17th Ave have no light or stop sign? At which streets? Never noticed that, but as I said, I'm from Flatbush.

There are no lights on 19th pretty much, I grew up there. So many accidents and really difficult to cross those streets.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:45 pm
Monsey.
I just started letting my 9 year old cross our dead end street. Crossing the street is more dangerous in Monsey because every street is a 2 way and the roads have turns and it can sometimes be hard to see people crossing. So I don't know yet at what age I'll allow to cross busy roads.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:45 pm
I think it’s safer to cross the busier streets with traffic lights
Especially in Brooklyn where cars don’t make full stops at a stop sign
I never understood this

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:47 pm
I teach a mature, responsible child to cross a small street at around 9 and busier streets at 10-11. I think it depends what the drivers are like in your area, though. I've seen too many drivers run stop signs and red lights where I live to allow a younger child to cross. If I lived somewhere that drivers were safer I would be fine teaching them at a younger age.

One thing I do is spy on my kids when they don't know I'm watching, soon after I first allow them to cross independently. I want to make sure they are actually doing what they were taught even when they don't think anyone is checking. I've seen so many kids run across streets without checking for cars! I assume they were taught crossing safety, but their parents don't realize that they aren't mature enough to implement it independently.

sky

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:53 pm
8 - quiet side streets. , 7 on Shabbos when there are little to no cars

We live near a busy st with no light and no one ever stops at the cross walk. Many friends live across that rd. The busy st they start at 11 in Shabbos with supervision (its quieter) and gradually cross alone closer to 12. But it terrifies me every time (it’s scary for adults to cross...)

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 1:56 pm
My issue iny community is not the lights. It's the drivers. It's affluent and entitled. And so many have been struck in my small town.

It's a point of contention between me and my husband. Because I don't think he is safe to cross our main st. And he wants him to be.

I just can't verify that it's a sign of maturity in my town. As the drivers are just so scary here. They stop for no one.

behappy2

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:15 pm
I live in monsey.

Quiet road on shabbos from age 4

Quiet road weekday from maybe age 5, 6 depending on kid (I would ideally wait but this is already past my neighborhood standard which is age 3)

Age 10 cross busier streets with light, cross semi busy streets without light

It's really dependent on the child. In my neighborhood it's either isolate them/stunt their independence and social life or teach them safety rules and go out of comfort zone. I've chosen the latter.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 2:18 pm
10 years if they’re mature. Busy streets- probably not before 11
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics