Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Did you pierce your daughter's ears when she was 3?
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:06 pm
DD wants earrings. I told her we can get them for her third birthday, which is pretty soon.

But where/how is the question. A woman here sells earrings and disposable guns, and a friend with 6 daughters has offered to do it for me. That's the best option where I live.

Online, everyone says that getting pierced with a needle at a tattoo parlor hurts less and is less prone to infection. Two American friends concur, and they recommend a place in Yerushalayim.

What have you done? What would you do? Any tips?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:12 pm
NO GUN!!! Those things should be illegal. Mad

I've had my ears done both ways, and I can tell you that the difference was like night and day.

The first time I had my ears done was with a gun, and with the first ear I screamed bloody murder and broke into sobs. As soon as I could talk I said "Why didn't you tell me it would hurt so bad?" Granted, I was 12 at the time, and I had been desperate to get my ears done, and I wanted it really badly. My mom forced me to get the other side done, even though I wanted to leave. She told me that if I only had one side done I "would look stupid, and everyone would know I was a big baby."

Several years later I had two more holes put in my right ear, with a needle at a professional tattoo place. It pinched sharply, but it was over and done in no time. It healed perfectly. Having a professionally trained piercer was so reassuring, and she was so calm and patient. She let me breathe, told me when to count to 3, and was just plain awesome.

blessedjmom

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:14 pm
I think the whole tatoo parlor idea is exaggerated.
I had daughters ears pierced.
The ears actually get pierced with the sterile earrings themselves- they have pointy ends. And screw backs.
No gun is reused.
They bh never got infected.

The woman that did them did apply bactroban- or some ointment. And I did the same for the first week after.

I had them done when they were babies , I just feel it's less traumatic then.
For a 3 yr old I'd get hold of numbing cream and apply it a little before hand.

I feel like a tatoo parlor in general will be traumatic/scary for a little girl due to the nature of the place...

I'm excited for her! Mazel tov!!

Last edited by blessedjmom on Sat, Oct 24 2020, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

mandksima

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:16 pm
I did one daughter at a year old and another at 8 months old. Both at our local jewelry store (not too far away from you but call first for the owner to be there). Very quick and didn't bother the girls for more than a moment. With a 3 year old, I would suggest 2 people doing the 2 ears at once because after the first ear, she won't want you to do the 2nd ear. My oldest daughter had it done at 5 years old when she wanted it. I just did much earlier for the next two.

blessedjmom

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:17 pm
FFI I just read your post.

Ok ok. I don't have experience with a tatoo parlor and the way they do it. Seems like your experience there was way better.

I guess from my end- I'll say that I've been very happy with the earring piercing and so have my friends.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go!!

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:19 pm
blessedjmom wrote:

I feel like a tatoo parlor in general will be traumatic/scary for a little girl due to the nature of the place...

I'm excited for her! Mazel tov!!

I disagree. Make an appointment. Come in the early AM. Tattoo shops are not filled with thugs at 10 or 11 am. It's actually empty.

Rappel

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:23 pm
I agree that tattoo parlor culture would probably be way out of my daughter's comfort zone,

Will numbing cream manage the pain entirely? My daughter would be the one to walk out after only one ear was done if it was in any way uncomfortable. Someone recommended Elma cream - has anyone used it to good effect?

What gauge are baby earrings anyway?

Last edited by Rappel on Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:23 pm
Wow, now my heart is pounding just thinking about that gun piercing. I can remember it like it was yesterday. Sad

Make sure that her starter earrings are small surgical steel hoops. They are easier to clean, you can rotate them as you clean them, and they will allow a lot more oxygen to get to the hole so it will heal faster. This style is the best.
https://www.bodycircle.com/med.....1.jpg

Posts are a nightmare to clean, especially for someone who is too young to do it herself.

Tattoo parlors these days are not like in the movies, LOL! Tattooing has gone mainstream, and a lot more than just "thugs" are getting them these days.

If the place is legal, it will be so clean you could eat off of the floor. It will be well lit, and most likely any colorful images on the walls will be way beyond registering on the consciousness of a 2 year old. Tell her they are cartoons.

Many places these days do the piercings in a separate room that the tattooing. Many piercers are independent contractors, so you are not exactly paying a person who does tattoos. The most they would do, is pay rent towards the upkeep of the building and the use of the space.

If you call ahead, ask if they have a female piercer. Explain to her that you are frum, and that if she has tattoos you would appreciate if she wore some kind of cover up, just for your appointment. Make sure that you don't say it in a judgmental way (cleaning lady thread, anyone?). You can also ask when would be a good time to make an appointment, to avoid running into other clientele. As long as you are pleasant, and make it all about YOUR sensitivity, I doubt anyone with an ounce of professionalism is going to take it personally.

Wait a minute - I just thought of something. I took DD to get her ears pierced at a tattoo place in Nahariya, and even though she was 14, and I was with her, and giving consent, they wouldn't do it. They said something about the law being that the customer has to be 18. Something about parents not being allowed to do body modifications on their children. I think because they are licensed and inspected by the government, they are held to stricter standards that some "lady with a gun".

Maybe the place in Jerusalem is different. Call ahead to make sure.

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

blessedjmom

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:28 pm
Rappel wrote:
I agree that tattoo parlor culture would be way out of my daughter's comfort zone, and I morally object to supporting a business that's against halacha in Israel, no matter how nice the person is. It would be different if we were in the States.

Will numbing cream manage the pain entirely? My daughter would be the one to walk out after only one ear was done if it was in any way uncomfortable. Someone recommended Elma cream - has anyone used it to good effect?

I think the numbing cream is called Emla. I know ppl use it before laser/electrolyses appointments. So it's should be good.

And doing both sides at once is a good idea.

The earrings my babys got then we're sterile surgical steel.
And I simply put some antibiotic ointment on their ears every night with a cotton swab. No big deal.

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:33 pm
I did not pierce my daughter's ears, but would have no problem taking her to get them pierced if she ever ask for it.

I got mine pierced at my request when I was 7. They used a piercing gun and I got small studs. It hurt, but just for an instant. I never had any infection.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 3:39 pm
Rappel wrote:
I agree that tattoo parlor culture would probably be way out of my daughter's comfort zone,

Most earrings are 18, but IMHO you're better off with 16, because when you switch out to 18 later on, the hole will have healed much better.

Emla is good stuff. Put it on 1/2 before the piercing.

These days a tattoo parlor isn't any more scary than a hair salon, and it doesn't smell like nasty chemicals, either! You child would probably be a lot more traumatized at the pediatricians, than in a shop with colorful prints on the walls.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 4:05 pm
Do Jewelers' still pierce earrings? My grandfather was a jeweler and he did mine at 3 weeks old. I doubt he used a piercing gun.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 4:27 pm
I was sixteen before I had mine done. My father wouldn't let us, but my mother said when we were children we had to listen to him, but when we were sixteen she considered us old enough to make up our own minds. I went to a jewelry shop, and they used a piercing gun. Little studs with pointed ends. Not sharp, but pointed enough that they made the hole easily. I chose the heart shaped ones. I don't remember it hurting for more than a minute or two. Then I had to use alcohol on them for the next week to make sure they didn't get infected.

To get back to the original question, you could make the whole thing a special birthday day out if you go to Yerushalayim. Maybe after getting her ears done, go to the zoo (if its open) for a couple of hours, and end up going somewhere for pizza or whatever she likes. And buy her a little necklace to match the earrings.

WitchKitty

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 4:28 pm
I got my ears pierced at age 12 with a gun. (not disposable. what are those made of?)
It was fine. Hurt for about a second. Worth the earrings.

#Happymom

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 5:35 pm
Emla cream is great. She won't feel a thing. Put a big dollop of cream on her ear for abt an hour beforehand, don't rub it in and it'll keep it numb for abt ,45min once you wipe the cream off.

Some kids will have sensitive ears and get infected, about most won't.

Gun is fine. Even one side at a time.

Enjoy!!!

Have fun picking out cute earrings!!!

Shuly

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 6:05 pm
I had 2 girls ears pierced in jewelry stores in Geulah. They did it with what they call the "American" ear piercing gun. It looks like THIS.
The earring comes in this white plastic holder and they squeeze it on her ear and then throw the holder out. I had 2 ladies do it together on my three year old and she just flinched but didn't even cry. Afterward she said it hurt a little so I bought her a slushy and she held it on her ears between sips.

kenz

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:29 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I was sixteen before I had mine done. My father wouldn't let us, but my mother said when we were children we had to listen to him, but when we were sixteen she considered us old enough to make up our own minds. I went to a jewelry shop, and they used a piercing gun. Little studs with pointed ends. Not sharp, but pointed enough that they made the hole easily. I chose the heart shaped ones. I don't remember it hurting for more than a minute or two. Then I had to use alcohol on them for the next week to make sure they didn't get infected.

To get back to the original question, you could make the whole thing a special birthday day out if you go to Yerushalayim. Maybe after getting her ears done, go to the zoo (if its open) for a couple of hours, and end up going somewhere for pizza or whatever she likes. And buy her a little necklace to match the earrings.

My parents had the same rule so I went at 15 with 2 friends to a jewelry store in BP, it hurt for like 2 seconds and I was delighted to have earrings. I have never heard of anyone having ptsd from getting their ears pierced. I took my own girls at 2-3 months to a jewelry store that specializes in piercing babies’ ears, (probably a reaction to my own upbringing in this regard) it was over in a less than a minute and they all grew up happy to have pierced ears.

Fave

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:43 pm
I had my daughter’s ear pierced when she was 3 days” old at a mother baby home.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 8:49 pm
I got my daughters ears pierced at 3. She wanted them very badly and I was very honest with her that it will hurt for a minute and then she is done. I did it at Claire's in the US. They used a "gun" and pierced both ears at the same time which I thought was very smart. One lady at each ear.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:15 pm
At the age of 20 I took myself to a jeweler who pierced my ears with surgical steel "rivets" set in a gun. It was no worse than getting a flu shot. After a week or two the rivets were removed and I bought a pair of beautiful stud earrings. I still have the earrings 40 years later and they're still gorgeous.

IMHO piercing a child's ears without her consent is a form of child abuse. Wait till the girl is old enough to ask for them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics