Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Ear piercing on babies

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:12 pm
I’m so conflicted if I should get my babies ears pierced. Why should she go through the pain? I see that people are recommending not to use a gun and to go to a professional piercing place. Is there anyone who has done that in Lakewood? If you can recommend someone that would be helpful.
Ty

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:24 pm
If you don't want to do it, then don't. Why put your child through pain for a body modification she can't consent to?

I don't pierce my daughters' ears until they're old enough to both express an interest and take care of it themselves. My 12 year old has never been interested and my 6 year old has expressed interest but isn't old enough yet so we will wait a few more years.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 9:57 pm
I do it when they are babies, because I have never met a woman that doesn’t like the fact that she can wear regular earrings so it’s a pretty valid assumption that my daughter would too. I do it as a baby so that she won’t have to go through the anxiety of knowing the pain is coming. As soon as she felt pain it was done. Paci in her mouth cuddling against me for a couple minutes after and she was all set.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:00 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
If you don't want to do it, then don't. Why put your child through pain for a body modification she can't consent to?

I don't pierce my daughters' ears until they're old enough to both express an interest and take care of it themselves. My 12 year old has never been interested and my 6 year old has expressed interest but isn't old enough yet so we will wait a few more years.

I feel EXACTLY the same way.

Mindys_mommy

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:06 pm
My earlobe tore so I had to get it stitched up and re-pierced last week. The piercing itself wasn’t too bad but it felt burning and sore for the rest of the day. I never pierced my babies’ ears and this just reinforced my decision not to. When they are old enough to want it, they can get it done.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:07 pm
The advantage of doing it to a baby is that you can take care of the piercings for her so she never has to, and the piercings are less likely to close.

If you do choose to have it done, make sure that whoever you choose knows how to get the placement right on a baby, considering how it will look when she grows.

nchr

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:09 pm
It's not painful. But it is very ethnic so it's a dead giveaway if that's a problem to you. Guns are also not recommended but you won't find a reliable place who will pierce an infant with needles as they usually only pierce with consent.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I do it when they are babies, because I have never met a woman that doesn’t like the fact that she can wear regular earrings so it’s a pretty valid assumption that my daughter would too. I do it as a baby so that she won’t have to go through the anxiety of knowing the pain is coming. As soon as she felt pain it was done. Paci in her mouth cuddling against me for a couple minutes after and she was all set.

This
I rather them not remember the pain
In my day they did it at birth in the hospital
My kids at 3 months at the pediatrician office

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Oct 24 2020, 10:10 pm

This.
Both my girls didn't cry. One squirmed. The other slept thru it! Lol!
I had a friend who got hers pierced at 12. She was always upset her mother didnt do it as a baby. And was self concious that all the girls in the class have earrings except for her. But now with her own kids she still didn't do it. Go figure.

happy chick

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:04 pm

This. Absolutely.
Also, because babies generally stay cleaner than older kids, no need to wash it and keep it clean. It's much less likely to get infected.
But if you do it now, keep in mind getting a hat on/off baby's head not to catch the earring.

DREAMING

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:17 pm
I had my ears pierced around first grade. I think The fear was worse than the pain. I do my kids at age 2.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:52 pm
My parents have a “shittah” not to do it until bas mitzvah. I was always embarrassed that I was the only one without earrings and felt very silly with the tiny baby earrings they pierce with at age 12. I remember the comments and feeling like a baby. I did my daughter at 5 months. She looks adorable.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:54 pm
I don’t remember my ear piercings. I appreciate that my mom did it before I can remember the pain or the fear. I do the same to my girls. Hope they won’t sue me for not waiting for their consent. Confused

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:51 pm
I got my ears pierced in kindergarten but they got infected so my Mom took them out and my holes closed.
I was so envious of the girls with earrings, I begged my mother to repierce them.
Don't ask my why but in 4th grade she attempted to reopen them by herself with a needle. But the holes were too small and no earring fit through.
Finally by the summer of 5th grade she took me to the pediatrician and had it pierced there.
It wasn't pleasant. The pain wasn't terrible because I wanted it badly enough, but I was so nervous.
Why go through all that?
When I finally had my girl after a few boys you bet I got her ears pierced right away.
She cried for a second but that's it. It was easy to keep clean. B"h no issues with it. And she looks adorable.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:27 pm
nchr wrote:
It's not painful. But it is very ethnic so it's a dead giveaway if that's a problem to you. Guns are also not recommended but you won't find a reliable place who will pierce an infant with needles as they usually only pierce with consent.

Maybe in your great-grandma's day but not any more. I went to a very large, cosmopolitan secular college and work in a very large, secular organization. Almost all the girls in my classes, regardless of ethnicity, had pierced ears, and the same goes for the women I meet on the job. The ones whose ears are not pierced are a minority so small as to be almost negligible.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:06 pm
I prefer saving it as something my daughters can earn when they start wanting it. My mom did the same. I wanted earrings when I was 6 and I earned them (I don't remember how though Smile . I had friends whose parents didn't let them get their ears pierced until their bas mitzvah and I always felt so bad for them. I really don't understand that "rule".

In the scheme of things, the pain is extremely temporary (a few seconds!) and not something to be concerned about. I don't "remember the pain" when I got my ears pierced when I was 6!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics