Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Winter coats that cost several hundred dollars
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:02 am
I’m really scratching my head trying to understand this phenomenon of high schoolers getting Moncler or other coats that cost 400$ and upwards. Why are you buying these for your kids???!!!! What are you teaching them? Bh I can afford it but would never buy one for a teen. When will this craziness stop? How did we get here? Are you part of the problem?
Posting anonymously because I’ve just discussed this IRL.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:09 am
No, I'm not 'part of the problem'. I buy what I want to buy, within my budget, and you do the same.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:13 am
My kids haven’t yet asked for $400 coats. Not sure what I’d do if they did. Because here’s the thing. My parents tried to teach me lessons on principle and not buy me certain things. And it caused a lot of damage. So I have a very hard time not getting my kids nice things that they want. And they’re really not spoiled brats thank God, so if I said no they’d live with it, but my own issue is I can’t say no.. it has more to do with me than with them.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:14 am
Very many buy them on ali for alot less....

Zehava

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m really scratching my head trying to understand this phenomenon of high schoolers getting Moncler or other coats that cost 400$ and upwards. Why are you buying these for your kids???!!!! What are you teaching them? Bh I can afford it but would never buy one for a teen. When will this craziness stop? How did we get here? Are you part of the problem?
Posting anonymously because I’ve just discussed this IRL.

MYOB

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:45 am
Ali knockoffs look exactly the same. Many people get them on Ali.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:47 am
Zehava wrote:
MYOB

I think it’s a valid respectful discussion. Please don’t be rude.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:48 am
Yes, I’m part of the problem.
I bought my daughter an expensive coat, best thing I did.
It’s warmer than any other we tried.
Sorry.

Zehava

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:48 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I think it’s a valid respectful discussion. Please don’t be rude.

No it’s not. It’s a judgement

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:50 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Yes, I’m part of the problem.
I bought my daughter an expensive coat, best thing I did.
It’s warmer than any other we tried.
Sorry.

If its just for warmth, there are plenty of American and Canadian coats that are just as warmer (if not warmer) and much cheaper.

I have no issue with people spending $$ as they see fit, I just don't like the excuses they try to rationalize it with. Just be upfront and say it as it is

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:51 am
Zehava wrote:
No it’s not. It’s a judgement

You can say that on every thread here. Not every question means judging. She’s trying to understand how important it is to teens since she has teens of her own. I would like the discussion to continue since I have teens as well.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:54 am
A real moncler, even on super sale is over a thousand. This years pieces not on close out run over 2,000 and way beyond.
Whole frum world looks ridiculous walking around in moncler when it’s obviously from Ali.
A coat that’s a few hundred like SAM might be a good investment because it will last a couple of years. Not because of better quality, just because it will still be “in” and your daughter won’t ask for another one.
I find if I buy designer coats, they last longer because I can wear them for years.
A jacket from Zara, might cost me 100$ but I only get a year or two out of it.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:59 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
If its just for warmth, there are plenty of American and Canadian coats that are just as warmer (if not warmer) and much cheaper.

I have no issue with people spending $$ as they see fit, I just don't like the excuses they try to rationalize it with. Just be upfront and say it as it is

It’s actually a Canadian coat, not moncler.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:01 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Ali knockoffs look exactly the same. Many people get them on Ali.

My husband worked in a law firm to stop the selling of counterfeit Montcler coats, all Montcler coats on Ali Baba, dhgate, and wish are counterfeit. These coats are made illegally — no supervision of the workers, how workers are treated/conditions, or the products. These coats are not as warm as the genuine coats, leaving people much colder than expected. They can also be contaminated with diseases and other hazardous chemicals/substances. Never mind that it’s technically stealing from the company. Highly recommend you not buy these. Not judging you, just want to help you be an informed consumer. It’s dangerous to buy these products, and now I know this first hand, so I wanted to pass that info on to all of you.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
A real moncler, even on super sale is over a thousand. This years pieces not on close out run over 2,000 and way beyond.
Whole frum world looks ridiculous walking around in moncler when it’s obviously from Ali.
A coat that’s a few hundred like SAM might be a good investment because it will last a couple of years. Not because of better quality, just because it will still be “in” and your daughter won’t ask for another one.
I find if I buy designer coats, they last longer because I can wear them for years.
A jacket from Zara, might cost me 100$ but I only get a year or two out of it.

The kids’ ones are in the $500 range.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
My husband worked in a law firm to stop the selling of counterfeit Montcler coats, all Montcler coats on Ali Baba, dhgate, and wish are counterfeit. These coats are made illegally — no supervision of the workers, how workers are treated/conditions, or the products. These coats are not as warm as the genuine coats, leaving people much colder than expected. They can also be contaminated with diseases and other hazardous chemicals/substances. Never mind that it’s technically stealing from the company. Highly recommend you not buy these. Not judging you, just want to help you be an informed consumer. It’s dangerous to buy these products, and now I know this first hand, so I wanted to pass that info on to all of you.

People don’t care... as long as they can make believe they’re wearing designer clothes.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:17 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

No one that buys it at these prices thinks it will be as warm.
And absolutely don’t give a flippen hoot about the other issues you wrote.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:04 am
Cyan, her daughter is hs age. That’s adult sizes already. Can’t get adult moncler for 500$
People who buy the Ali knockoffs look silly because everyone knows they can’t really spend that kind of money.
Same with the fake Channel shoes. Makes no sense to me.
Just buy a real Canada Goose, SAM, moose knuckle... at least they’re believable.

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:17 am
It's sad that broadcasting one's social and economic status through flashy items is a thing in frum communities.

You'd figure that the Torah values we teach would insulate us from that sort of shtuyot.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:46 am
It's weird. I'm MO and live in Israel and there is no such pressure. B"h I could afford to buy my daughter new clothes if I needed to (not hundred dollar coats, but new clothes), but half the time I don't buy new because friends or friends of my parents give us gorgeous second hand clothing that their kids/grandkids outgrew. No stigma here for second-hand.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics