Home

Colleges with a large frum presence
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Cobalt
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:59 pm
I too have a 12 grader and we completed and submitted the common app today.
Is your son in a MO school or something more yeshivish?
If he is in a MO school, the college guidance department should be helpful. If not, what is he looking for?

1) schools are infinitely harder to get into than they were 20 years ago. If he is coming for a school where nobody else is applying and he has something specific to offer, that will help. But just know, the numbers are not the same as they used to be.

2) is he looking for a big community where he can coast or a small community where he will be forced into leadership roles. My friend's son is in a school with a small community, but he can never sleep in and miss shacharit as they count on him for a minyan, and he takes that responsible very seriously.

3)how does he feel about BDS on campus. Some campuses are more political and liberal than others, some are just apolitical and ambivalent-making for a non-contentious atmosphere.

4) some have other campuses nearby and interact with others and some don't.

5) confide reacing out to the chabad or JLIC couple on campus.

6) is he looking to dorm or commute? Or leave with other students off campus in an independent community?

Is he looking to not be forced "on the derech" or looking for a real life diverse experience? Why does he want not YU?

If I just knew the answers and right choice for mine 🤷‍♀️
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:06 pm
Librarian wrote:
UPenn (aka JewPenn)


Do you know how competitive it is to get in these days?

I went to an IVY 20 years ago and comparing the numbers for how many of my classmates got in and SAT scores vs my children's classmates, the difference is astounding, and it is not a deficit on the part of the college guidance department. Kids friends with perfect or near perfect scores and GPAs over 98 did not get in.
Back to top

amother




Dodgerblue
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:41 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
It's possible that what he wants to study, they don't do there, or don't do well. We're dealing with that right now for one of our kids. It's not simple, especially if you don't live near a school that has frum kids and if commuting isn't a thing.


Which major?
Back to top

Librarian




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:12 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Do you know how competitive it is to get in these days?

I went to an IVY 20 years ago and comparing the numbers for how many of my classmates got in and SAT scores vs my children's classmates, the difference is astounding, and it is not a deficit on the part of the college guidance department. Kids friends with perfect or near perfect scores and GPAs over 98 did not get in.


My son graduated UPenn Law 2 years ago. He got in with a regular Talmudic Law bachelors degree from Yeshiva. He had a nice group of friends who did the same. Some of his professors were frum. There was kosher food offered at all school events. He lived in Bala Cynwd which is full of frum students. He is married but he hosted many frum singles every Shabbos. He and my dil still miss it.
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:24 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Cultural issues aside, most college sports are played on Saturday.
Maryland has a significant number of frum kids, though it has a reputation as a party school.


She's asking about intramurals, not inter-college competitive sports. A group of MO boys won intramural softball 3 years straight at one university (unfortunately, they didn't play in their senior year due to covid), so clearly its possible to play intramurals.

Binghamton, Maryland, Michigan, Johns Hopkins, Boston University, Brandeis, Wash U, Albany. Off the top of my head.

Someone mentioned Muehlenberg. Its actively recruiting Orthodox kids, but doesn't have a large population. Yet. Same with U Mass Amherst.
Back to top

amother




Jade
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:28 pm
We run Chabad on a college campus (with great sports). Sometimes I feel like my main job here is talking kids who are any kind of frum or traditional into going somewhere else... It's just too painful to watch kids dropping in their frumkeit because they're the only ones.
Back to top

amother




Denim
 

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:30 pm
Brooklyn College has a large frum presence, have a chalav yisrael pizza place in the lunch room, Hillel, plus it's a 15 minute walk to Ave J.
Back to top

amother




Silver
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:32 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Do you know how competitive it is to get in these days?

I went to an IVY 20 years ago and comparing the numbers for how many of my classmates got in and SAT scores vs my children's classmates, the difference is astounding, and it is not a deficit on the part of the college guidance department. Kids friends with perfect or near perfect scores and GPAs over 98 did not get in.


Yes, exactly. Even NYU - which was relatively easy to get into 20 years ago - is much more competitive at the undergraduate level now that New York City is a popular place to be.

College decisions and apps are tricky to navigate so I second the recommendations to see a college counselor.
Back to top

nylon




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:46 am
A counselor is a good idea but does he have a general idea of what he wants to major in? For example if he wants engineering, there are some colleges I wouldn't suggest as they do not really have such programs.

I know quite a few Orthodox people who went to Brandeis (including quite recently, and people who actually made aliyah after); it is not anti-Israel, though there are people who are more to the left, which you'll see on any campus with a substantial Jewish presence.
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:23 am
nylon wrote:
A counselor is a good idea but does he have a general idea of what he wants to major in? For example if he wants engineering, there are some colleges I wouldn't suggest as they do not really have such programs.

I know quite a few Orthodox people who went to Brandeis (including quite recently, and people who actually made aliyah after); it is not anti-Israel, though there are people who are more to the left, which you'll see on any campus with a substantial Jewish presence.

Nobody is saying that your child will become anti-Israel if you go to Brandeis. In fact, the anti-Zionism and andi-Semitism may make you run to make Aliya. Their have been Anti-Israel speakers and publications and rallies there more recently. At the virtual open house, I asked about that and my child feeling safe. The response I got shocked me. There was nothing about my child feeling safe and that violence and hate is not tolerated. I was told that Brandies is very proud of free speech and providing a platform for people to express themselves .......

It got crossed off the list of potential schools at that very moment.

My child does have nice, frum Zionistic counselors from who are currently enrolled there who are very happy, but I'm not sending my child.
Back to top

samantha87




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 11:09 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Nobody is saying that your child will become anti-Israel if you go to Brandeis. In fact, the anti-Zionism and andi-Semitism may make you run to make Aliya. Their have been Anti-Israel speakers and publications and rallies there more recently. At the virtual open house, I asked about that and my child feeling safe. The response I got shocked me. There was nothing about my child feeling safe and that violence and hate is not tolerated. I was told that Brandies is very proud of free speech and providing a platform for people to express themselves .......

It got crossed off the list of potential schools at that very moment.

My child does have nice, frum Zionistic counselors from who are currently enrolled there who are very happy, but I'm not sending my child.


Good for you for bringing it up!
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
SUPPORT OUR STORES List of frum stores w/ websites that ship
by amother
63 Today at 6:34 am View last post
Frum Poetry
by amother
13 Today at 3:00 am View last post
Best careers for frum women
by amother
56 Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:08 pm View last post
Frum weight watchers group for men online??
by amother
2 Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:28 pm View last post
Ft lauderdale schools, frum; shuls
by amother
5 Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:45 pm View last post