Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Please be responsible. Please!!
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:41 pm
gold21 wrote:
My mom had chicken pox three times

It is very plausible that some people will get covid twice Sad

But many will not

Viruses are random like that Confused

We all get the common cold (which is also a coronavirus) again and again.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

The common cold is usually a different strain each time.

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:49 pm

When you get sick, you develop antibodies for the virus serotype you’ve caught, Dr. Greninger explains. This keeps you from catching it again right away. But those antibodies won’t necessarily protect you from other forms of the virus.

Say you catch the serotype HRV (human rhinovirus)-A60, then improve right as your partner catches HRV-C17. You could get the common cold again if your body is vulnerable to that new rhinovirus serotype.

Alternately, you could have just triumphed over a coronavirus then come down with a rhinovirus from your cubemate soon after. Yes, it seems unfair. File your complaints with evolution and let us know when you hear back.

This doesn’t mean that you’ll always get sick if you’re exposed to a virus or virus serotype that’s different from the one you just got over. You may have developed antibodies for some circulating virus serotypes thanks to previous colds. Also, even though it’s not a guarantee, sometimes antibodies for one virus serotype do protect you from closely related serotypes, according to Merck Manuals.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:52 pm
gold21 wrote:
When you get sick, you develop antibodies for the virus serotype you’ve caught, Dr. Greninger explains. This keeps you from catching it again right away. But those antibodies won’t necessarily protect you from other forms of the virus.

Say you catch the serotype HRV (human rhinovirus)-A60, then improve right as your partner catches HRV-C17. You could get the common cold again if your body is vulnerable to that new rhinovirus serotype.

Alternately, you could have just triumphed over a coronavirus then come down with a rhinovirus from your cubemate soon after. Yes, it seems unfair. File your complaints with evolution and let us know when you hear back.

This doesn’t mean that you’ll always get sick if you’re exposed to a virus or virus serotype that’s different from the one you just got over. You may have developed antibodies for some circulating virus serotypes thanks to previous colds. Also, even though it’s not a guarantee, sometimes antibodies for one virus serotype do protect you from closely related serotypes, according to Merck Manuals.
the reason for getting repeat rhinovirus infections isn’t just strain shifting. It’s also because of fading immunity.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:56 pm
A close relative age 29 tested positive back in April. He then had antibodies.

About 1-2 weeks ago he went to test to help bring down the positive numbers knowing that he's a great candidate cause he has antibodies. The test came back positive. A few days later he got symptoms but they were milder this time. Possibly because he right away started taking vitamins.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
The common cold is usually a different strain each time.

Could be, but the immunity from each one doesn't last long. You could still catch it again if it's circulating.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:31 am
According to a recent Israeli study:

- 20% of verified coronavirus patients do not develop immunity/antibodies.
- For those who did develop immunity, it lasts about 3-4 months

https://www.jpost.com/health-s.....46228

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:00 am
Could be, but the immunity from each one doesn't last long. You could still catch it again if it's circulating.

Not necessarily. Not all common colds are coronaviruses. Rhinoviruses, the more common cause of the common cold, are thought to mutate so fast that when someone catches it from you, it can circulate among a small group of people and then come back to you as a different strain.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:08 am
Someone DH knows was in their 40's and healthy - no preexisting conditions. Got COVID back in March very mildly barely felt anything just a loss of taste and smell. They got COVID again about a month ago and it led to their death. They started have breathing issues, heart issues etc and eventually died.

I just heard from someone who works in a Kupat Cholim they've had at least 50 people who have gotten it the second time - and some get it the same and some get it worse.

Protection from Reinfection according to a few doctors we spoke to should last a month or two they think - no one really knows. A good friend of mine got corona last month and has been symptom free for 21 days allowing according to my doctor me to hang out with her without SD and masks for a few weeks, which is very fun and exciting.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:10 am

The common cold does not leave you with heart disease, heart palpitations, lung problems, breathing issues, weakness, etc for months afterwards. Neither does the flu.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:16 am
The flu kills. It is bad, and we should oppose it.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:15 am
crust wrote:
I'm freaking out.
Forget it. What's a difference.

If I freak out too much I will be living a freaked out life in exchange for a virus that I may or may not get again.

Don't freak out.

There's a nice medium there between acting in an unsafe manner and freaking out. IMNSHO, that's where we need to be.

Try to socially distance. Wear a mask when you can't distance. Create a social bubble for yourself and your family. So maybe Moishe isn't playing with ALL his friends, but there's a group of 3 boys who play with each other, and not with other kids (except at play that can be done at a greater social distance).

There have been only a few documented cases of reinfection. But that happens even with diseases that most people don't get twice, like chicken pox. "Antibodies" aren't conclusive, as the antibody test is notoriously inaccurate.

And remember. Treatments are improving all the time. I'm davening that there will be an end to this.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:57 am
DrMom wrote:
According to a recent Israeli study:

- 20% of verified coronavirus patients do not develop immunity/antibodies.
- For those who did develop immunity, it lasts about 3-4 months

https://www.jpost.com/health-s.....46228

that's detectable immunity correct? Not all immunity is detectable so soon or via antibodies. Because I've spoken to ID doctors who say there is a difference between detectable and protective and most likely the protection is probably 97ish% of patients and probably around 12 months with some fading before and after for a range. They said the 3-4 month is inconsistent with virology and those at risk are less likely to develop protective immunity.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics