Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Doesn't open her eyes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:21 pm
I had a baby a few days ago and she HARDLY opens her eyes. Once in a blue moon she'll squint a bit but even when shes up it takes ages to open her eyes. And once I start nursing her, she immediately closes them again.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:31 pm
Perfectly normal for that age. As she get older she'll start opening them more.
Mazel tov.

yksraya

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:40 pm
She might be jaundiced. It's normal the first few days.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:42 pm
yksraya wrote:
She might be jaundiced. It's normal the first few days.

yes shes looking quite yellow-how do I know if I need to go to the hospital and if she needs the lights??

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:43 pm
When did she last see the doctor and when is she scheduled again?
Mazel tov btw

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:45 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
When did she last see the doctor and when is she scheduled again?
Mazel tov btw

We left the hospital on Friday....

ETA that they told me upon discharge that she lost too much weight and that I should supplement, but I felt that was because my milk didn't come in yet. Now it did, and she is making sufficient diapers but not gaining so much weight...I'm concerned.

Otherwise she's acting normally-waking up to eat, eating well....but sleeping a lot.

mfb

If she looks yellow take her in to a doctor to check how high it is. It can be dangerous and with everyone leaving hospitals early it might not have been detected there.

yksraya

amother [ OP ] wrote:
yes shes looking quite yellow-how do I know if I need to go to the hospital and if she needs the lights??
normally they test that in the hospital. If they released her, she is most probably fine.

If you are still concerned, go for a checkup.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:49 pm
yksraya wrote:
normally they test that in the hospital. If they released her, she is most probably fine.

Do I need to go to the hospital to do a blood test or can I just see a regular pediatrician?

mfb

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do I need to go to the hospital to do a blood test or can I just see a regular pediatrician?

Call your regular doctor. You don’t want to go to the hospital if you don’t have to

mfb

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:01 pm
yksraya wrote:

I think due to Covid some hospitals release early and then it might not show up before they leave.

Stars

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:12 pm
Mazel tov, is this your first? Sounds normal to me but you can always take a newborn to the doctor to double check.
Ask around in your community and find a pediatrician you can trust. It’s ok if you don’t like the first one you try.

TYH17

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:16 pm
Keep nursing non stop. The more you nurse the more the baby poops out the yellow. The yellow poop shows the jaundice is leaving the body. Keep nursing as much as you possibly can. These days are crucial to do that, just nurse and you will see difference. Can still take her to Dr if nervous but nurse a lot in meanwhile. That's only thing that helped me, was advice I got from an Indian Dr in nicu

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:19 pm
Was baby early at all?
My sisters baby was born 3 weeks before her due date. She was sooooo sleepy it made my sister so nervous - once she passed her due date, her baby become more alert! Like “oh now is when I’m supposed to arrive! Hi guys!”

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:22 pm
Go to your pediatrician to look at her. My baby had sever jaundice and had to go back to the hospital to be monitored. It can be really dangerous if the levels get very high. You are supposed to follow up with your pediatrician 3 days after discharge so they can make sure baby is doing ok.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:26 pm
It sounds like you should go in tomorrow to pediatrician.
You can call and tell them you’re coming with a newborn can they take all precautions.
If you’re concerned overnight- that’s what the on call doctor is for.

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:28 pm
Speaking as an experienced mother of yellow babies, I'm RH negative so all my babies are yellow even if blood type is the same: give your baby 2 oz of warm water plus 1 Tablespoon brown sugar 3-4 times a day after a feeding for a few days. It'll make your baby have lots of dirty and wet diapers causing to flush out all the jaundice. It works well. It's only for a few days so don't worry.
ETA: this is not in place of seeing a Dr. Personally I don't go to a Dr I have a real experienced mohel come look at my babies even at the girls. So far this has worked for me. I've had babies put on the light. Both boys and girls but not always.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:36 pm
I'm going to reiterate again because some people don't seem concerned. She must be seen. Very high levels of jaundice can lead to brain damage, this is not a joke.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:38 pm
My first baby needed to be hospitalized two days after we were discharged because of jaundice. Please go to the doctor tomorrow

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:40 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I'm going to reiterate again because some people don't seem concerned. She must be seen. Very high levels of jaundice can lead to brain damage, this is not a joke.

This! Very jaundice babies are also very sleepy. Btw, I dunno where you live but personally I'd go to the hospital. The local labs where I live don't do a heel prick test to check for jaundice. They do a regular blood test. The heel prick is so much easier on the babies.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics