Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Convince me to take the CPA
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:42 pm
Title says it all. I graduated with an accounting degree a few years ago, and life circumstances prevented my taking the CPA upon graduation. I have a good accounting job with upward mobility, but obviously being a CPA would increase my value and earning potential. My reservations are that I have some small children and a hectic life and I was never into hardcore studying, which is obviously a HUGE aspect of taking the CPA! The cost of these CPA review programs is also not insignificant, but if it is a worthwhile investment, it's the least of my worries. I just don't want to look back in 5 or 10 years from now and regret not taking it... Thoughts? Personal experiences?

bisbettertheni

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:15 pm
I think life just gets busier (unless you wait till all your kids are grown up) take it now.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:24 pm
Do you work in public accounting? Will it make a difference to your employer?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:36 pm
OP, are you me???? I could have literally written your post, except that my kids are a little older.... life is still very hectic. I'm halfway through studying for FAR and I'm like - why in the world am I doing this? 200 hours studying for FAR, 150 hours for REG, 100 hours for AUD and BEC.... and that's if I pass the first time.

Convince me - why do I want to do this????

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:37 pm
bisbettertheni wrote:
I think life just gets busier (unless you wait till all your kids are grown up) take it now.

Which is exactly why I feel like if not now, it will never happen. But is studying practically a full-time job? Does studying a couple of hours a night cut it?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which is exactly why I feel like if not now, it will never happen. But is studying practically a full-time job? Does studying a couple of hours a night cut it?

I think you have to study in the morning when your mind is fresher. Yes, if you add it up, you can study a few hours a day and it works. It'll take a few months though.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Do you work in public accounting? Will it make a difference to your employer?

I work in a small, private firm that is fairly new and BH growing. In my short time there I have already been promoted, and my employers are very open about wanting their employees to grow within the firm. I'm sure that greater flexibility (such as retaining my job in the case of relocation) and a faster track to growth (and of course a raise!) would be a result of passing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:41 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
OP, are you me???? I could have literally written your post, except that my kids are a little older.... life is still very hectic. I'm halfway through studying for FAR and I'm like - why in the world am I doing this? 200 hours studying for FAR, 150 hours for REG, 100 hours for AUD and BEC.... and that's if I pass the first time.

Convince me - why do I want to do this????

Where are your numbers from? I am soooo not a study-er, seeing those hours put down in black and white is so intimidating!! Don't scare me off! TMI

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:43 pm
I think you have to study in the morning when your mind is fresher. Yes, if you add it up, you can study a few hours a day and it works. It'll take a few months though.

That's what my husband thinks, that morning is better than evening. But I am so not a morning person, the thought of waking up at 4 AM to get a few hours in before my kids wake up is too much!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:50 pm
If you think it will make a real difference, go for it. Otherwise it’s a huge and stressful undertaking.
If you’ll be a valuable employee without it, I would probably skip. A family member of mine did 2/4, switched to private, never finished and yet remained a valued employee at the new job for over 20 years. Don’t know about the flexibility you mentioned though... this field isn’t really known for its flexibility...

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where are your numbers from? I am soooo not a study-er, seeing those hours put down in black and white is so intimidating!! Don't scare me off! TMI

Well, I have the cpa study plan (I'm using Becker) and that's the hours they're giving me... more or less. They say that if you put in the hours you will pass. Ha ha. (Maybe you can manage with less, I was using worst case scenario).

It's not so bad though, because it's videos and then multiple choice so it's not like you're reading a book straight (I would never be able to do that at this stage of life).

No way can I get up at 4! I'm not a morning person either. Don't have any ideas for you....

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:51 pm
I found that I couldnt advance without a CPA. Even though I was appreciated at the small firm I worked at, I felt that there was just so much I could advance there with mother hours. I didnt want to work full full time with little kids. I couldnt move to another firm without a CPA as a senior or manager nor could I go out on my own.

it took me a year to study and take the 4 exams. B;h passed on the first try. I started when I had 3 little children. AT the end I was pregnant again! About a year later I opened my own practise and work from home ever since! (and b'h make good parnasa!)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:57 pm
Well, I have the cpa study plan (I'm using Becker) and that's the hours they're giving me... more or less. They say that if you put in the hours you will pass. Ha ha. (Maybe you can manage with less, I was using worst case scenario).

It's not so bad though, because it's videos and then multiple choice so it's not like you're reading a book straight (I would never be able to do that at this stage of life).

No way can I get up at 4! I'm not a morning person either. Don't have any ideas for you....

So that's a whole other question - Becker vs Roger review. What made you choose Becker? Also, may I ask if you work? When do you find the time to study, especially with older kids (who presumably don't give you a large chunk of free time at night, as mine do)?

ellacoe

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 10:59 pm
Have you discussed taking the CPA with your boss? It may have a value to them that you get your CPA and they may assist you in getting it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I found that I couldnt advance without a CPA. Even though I was appreciated at the small firm I worked at, I felt that there was just so much I could advance there with mother hours. I didnt want to work full full time with little kids. I couldnt move to another firm without a CPA as a senior or manager nor could I go out on my own.

it took me a year to study and take the 4 exams. B;h passed on the first try. I started when I had 3 little children. AT the end I was pregnant again! About a year later I opened my own practise and work from home ever since! (and b'h make good parnasa!)

Wow good for you! Pregnancy takes it to a whole other level!
It seems like your advancement came as a direct result of opening your own practice. I don't see myself doing that... I wonder if the CPA really makes all the difference when switching jobs - are you saying that despite being a senior or manager at a small firm, another small firm would not hire you for a similar role without a CPA? Is that the norm?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:04 pm
ellacoe wrote:
Have you discussed taking the CPA with your boss? It may have a value to them that you get your CPA and they may assist you in getting it.

We have not discussed this, I know that this is done in large firms, but like I said, this is a fairly new company and they don't have a precedent for this. How would I even approach such a conversation?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So that's a whole other question - Becker vs Roger review. What made you choose Becker? Also, may I ask if you work? When do you find the time to study, especially with older kids (who presumably don't give you a large chunk of free time at night, as mine do)?

I bought Wiley - FAR only. Everyone said to take Becker, and I thought I was smarter because I was saving money... I realized that I was saving money but losing time, and for me, time is money. Becker is honestly the best review course - it's just done right.

I didn't consider Roger because they don't have enough multiple choices questions and I didn't like his style, and anyway Becker had a sale then so it was around the same price. But Roger definitely is more interesting.... try a demo of each and see how you feel. (and you can always supplement with Ninja or whatever).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:10 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
If you think it will make a real difference, go for it. Otherwise it’s a huge and stressful undertaking.
If you’ll be a valuable employee without it, I would probably skip. A family member of mine did 2/4, switched to private, never finished and yet remained a valued employee at the new job for over 20 years. Don’t know about the flexibility you mentioned though... this field isn’t really known for its flexibility...

I am a valuable employee now, but who is to say that I won't stagnate a few years down the line due to the growth of the firm and the new hires being actual CPAs? You say your relative was a valued employee for over 20 years, but did this relative continue to advance within the company? Re: flexibility, I was mostly referring to the ability to relocate (which there is precedent for in my firm), but I agree with you that flexibility is incorrectly touted as a perk of this field. That was a tough reality check for my classmates and me in our last semester of college, as we had all somehow been convinced that accounting was a flexible field before starting college!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:13 pm
I bought Wiley - FAR only. Everyone said to take Becker, and I thought I was smarter because I was saving money... I realized that I was saving money but losing time, and for me, time is money. Becker is honestly the best review course - it's just done right.

I didn't consider Roger because they don't have enough multiple choices questions and I didn't like his style, and anyway Becker had a sale then so it was around the same price. But Roger definitely is more interesting.... try a demo of each and see how you feel. (and you can always supplement with Ninja or whatever).

Thanks! I will definitely try a demo.
I just don't know how I will convince myself to carve out the enormous amount of hours this requires! I NEED my time to decompress alone at night, like a textbook introvert.

Someone convince me that it's worth it!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:26 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

I'm starting to study for the CPA so I can work from home too. Can you describe how you went about starting your own practice?
(Technically not derailing the thread because this will help convince OP to take the CPA since you really need to be a CPA to do this!)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics