Home

Harry Potter mistakes
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:52 am
Let's write contradictions or mistakes found in Harry Potter.

I never looked it up so it could be there's an explanation, if you know please share:

In the first book Harry is introduced to quirrel (at the leaky cauldron with Hagrid) as a teacher at the school, meaning he's teaching there for a few years already. In a later book it said about the curse of that job and no teacher stayed for more than a year...

In the 7th book, Hermione performs the obliterating curse on her parents so they're out of danger. Later in the book in the Cafe on Tottenham Court Rd she needs to perform the curse on the death eaters and she says to give her time because she's never done this curse before.

Always wondered about these. I'll add if I think of more.
What's yours?
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:03 am
Quiller was the Muggle studies professor before he took a year off for practical and came back as defense about of the dark arts.

was a different spell. She modified her parents memories to make them think that they were someone totally different. And she was wiping the death eater memories.
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Let's write contradictions or mistakes found in Harry Potter.

I never looked it up so it could be there's an explanation, if you know please share:

In the first book Harry is introduced to quirrel (at the leaky cauldron with Hagrid) as a teacher at the school, meaning he's teaching there for a few years already. In a later book it said about the curse of that job and no teacher stayed for more than a year...

In the 7th book, Hermione performs the obliterating curse on her parents so they're out of danger. Later in the book in the Cafe on Tottenham Court Rd she needs to perform the curse on the death eaters and she says to give her time because she's never done this curse before.

Always wondered about these. I'll add if I think of more.
What's yours?


I thought about the first one too when I read it the most recent time. I don’t have an answer for it...it seems that the weasley twins were already familiar with him too so it must be that he taught there before...

7th book-is it possible that there are different memory modification charms?

The one I still don’t understand which has been addressed but not to my satisfaction is Harry not seeing the thestrals at the end of the 4th book after seeing Cedric die. (Some people are also upset that he can’t see them until now after seeing his parents die which is definitely valid too.)
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:05 am
singleagain wrote:
Quiller was the Muggle studies professor before he took a year off for practical and came back as defense about of the dark arts.

was a different spell. She modified her parents memories to make them think that they were someone totally different. And she was wiping the death eater memories.


Where did you get that background info on Quirrel from?
Back to top

Crookshanks




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:08 am
Harry's parents are killed on Halloween, October 31, 1981. Halloween that year came out on Shabbos. That night Hagrid brings Harry to the Dursleys. But in the book, that day is a Tuesday... We're missing Sunday and Monday in between. I realized this after rereading the series for the 10th time...never figured out a way to resolve it. Anyone?
Back to top

Crookshanks




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:


The one I still don’t understand which has been addressed but not to my satisfaction is Harry not seeing the thestrals at the end of the 4th book after seeing Cedric die. (Some people are also upset that he can’t see them until now after seeing his parents die which is definitely valid too.)


JK wrote later that you can only see them once you've processed a loss and lived through it, but Harry didn't go through that when his parents died since he was 1.
Back to top

tigerwife




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:11 am
There is an incredibly powerful time-changing tool called the time-turner and it is used exclusively to help an over-ambitious 13-year-old get to extra classes.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:14 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I thought about the first one too when I read it the most recent time. I don’t have an answer for it...it seems that the weasley twins were already familiar with him too so it must be that he taught there before...

7th book-is it possible that there are different memory modification charms?

The one I still don’t understand which has been addressed but not to my satisfaction is Harry not seeing the thestrals at the end of the 4th book after seeing Cedric die. (Some people are also upset that he can’t see them until now after seeing his parents die which is definitely valid too.)

The Super Carlin Brothers (youtube) addressed this brilliantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBQPZ5JvN58
Back to top

SuperWify




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:19 am
Honestly the books are so brilliant and thought out I doubt there are any mistakes or contradictions. It was all planned and mapped out before she even wrote book1.

Crookshanks, I love your username!
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:23 am
Crookshanks wrote:
JK wrote later that you can only see them once you've processed a loss and lived through it, but Harry didn't go through that when his parents died since he was 1.


Yes that’s not the part that bothers me it’s the way back to Hogwarts express after Cedric dies at the end of the 4th book
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:24 am
Crookshanks wrote:
Harry's parents are killed on Halloween, October 31, 1981. Halloween that year came out on Shabbos. That night Hagrid brings Harry to the Dursleys. But in the book, that day is a Tuesday... We're missing Sunday and Monday in between. I realized this after rereading the series for the 10th time...never figured out a way to resolve it. Anyone?


Wow what made you think to look up the day?
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:24 am
watergirl wrote:
The Super Carlin Brothers (youtube) addressed this brilliantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBQPZ5JvN58


I’ll have to check it out!
Back to top

Crookshanks




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:26 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Wow what made you think to look up the day?

Don't even remember now...all I'm left with is the question!!
Back to top

Crookshanks




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:27 am
SuperWify wrote:
Honestly the books are so brilliant and thought out I doubt there are any mistakes or contradictions. It was all planned and mapped out before she even wrote book1.

Crookshanks, I love your username!

Haha thanks I tried Minerva first it was taken Laugh
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:32 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Where did you get that background info on Quirrel from?


I don't remember it was either some Harry Potter fan website probably supercrawling brothers talk about it I'm sure they are a very great resource for Harry Potter theories and such I just don't remember an interview or or something like that
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:36 am
singleagain wrote:
I don't remember it was either some Harry Potter fan website probably supercrawling brothers talk about it I'm sure they are a very great resource for Harry Potter theories and such I just don't remember an interview or or something like that


So it could just be a fan theory?
Back to top

cuties' mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:37 am
The dates and days of the week don't match in the end of book 4 and beginning of book 5. In book 4, history of magic exam was on Shabbos. In book 5, it says that September 1 was Sunday. According to the calendar, it was Friday.
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:38 am
tigerwife wrote:
There is an incredibly powerful time-changing tool called the time-turner and it is used exclusively to help an over-ambitious 13-year-old get to extra classes.


And to drive the plot of an officially approved piece of fanfiction that contradicts and affirms everything in the books in a weird way.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:39 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
So it could just be a fan theory?


No there's definitely an official source.

Besides supercarlin Brothers are rooted in sources.
Back to top

imanonymous




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2020, 9:54 am
Shakla v'tarya on Harry Potter? Sources?

A shanda!

Tongue Out
Back to top
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Mistakes in parenting - real life 3 Wed, Nov 18 2020, 3:40 pm View last post
Harry Potter Frum Fanfiction: Yehuda (Anthony) Goldstein
by amother
308 Sun, Nov 08 2020, 5:04 pm View last post
Harry Potter Quiz 200 Thu, Nov 05 2020, 11:54 pm View last post
What mistakes had you done?
by amother
22 Mon, Oct 26 2020, 12:16 am View last post
If you could have ONE Harry Potter spell.......
by debsey
61 Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:01 am View last post