Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Curious to hear why you think kids can't learn on zoom
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Not true. Peppa pig and curious George keep my kids focused more than their rebbi or math teacher can.

They’re still staring at a screen either way

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:20 am
That's not a good thing! Them being focused on shows sets the bar for an unattainable level that a teacher now has to reach in entertainment value.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:23 am
Another point not yet mentioned... The amount of internet spottiness both on the teacher's end and the student's end lends itself to so many missed words and we watched one of our children's minds wander off when we realized this was happening and the kid didn't even pick up on it. He thought he had focusing issues, which he didn't in school, and then we realized it wasn't him, it was the audio.

It's also either not collaborative (all kids muted) the same way school is, or if it's not muted, way too much background noise and you can't filter to hone in on the person you want to hear the same way you can in person.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:24 am
I actually enjoy teaching on zoom. I can incorporate video clips, online games, google forms, breakout rooms - the lesson is actually very varied and fast moving. It's much easier to show a quick clip of whatever I am discussing than it is in the classroom.

I force everyone to turn on their cameras, so there is some sort of connection, we can all see each other. One big perk is there are very few discipline problems on zoom:)

Our whole staff is very adept at zoom, even the older teachers nearing retirement. We made it a priority (school is in Israel).

Of course teaching in person is much better, you can't substitute the human presence. But zoom can be amazing in certain cases - mainly for good pupils with good concentration. The weaker pupils or those who can't focus suffer, and the gap between them grows.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I actually enjoy teaching on zoom. I can incorporate video clips, online games, google forms, breakout rooms - the lesson is actually very varied and fast moving. It's much easier to show a quick clip of whatever I am discussing than it is in the classroom.

I force everyone to turn on their cameras, so there is some sort of connection, we can all see each other. One big perk is there are very few discipline problems on zoom:)

Our whole staff is very adept at zoom, even the older teachers nearing retirement. We made it a priority (school is in Israel).

Of course teaching in person is much better, you can't substitute the human presence. But zoom can be amazing in certain cases - mainly for good pupils with good concentration. The weaker pupils or those who can't focus suffer, and the gap between them grows.

I bet you teach in my kids school...

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I bet you teach in my kids school...

Very few English speakers at my school, but who knows Smile

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:30 am
It doesn't work for me or my kids, because we get bored and wander off.
Also- when you go out of the house putting in effort to get somewhere, and you're in a more appropriate setting you're brain is more receptive to lessons.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So are the teachers just not equipped with enough tools to run a remote classroom?
Or perhaps the kids not coming on because they don't have a computer? My daughter's teacher made a point and prize system for kids that enter on time.

We have the tools. It's not about the tools. It's about the fact that most kids are not created to sit on a computer and be quiet all day. It's about the fact that there are so many distractions on tech. It's about the fact that it's so easy to skip a Zoom class without accountability. It's about the fact that some families have more kids learning on Zoom than devices and/or rooms for the kids to learn. It's about the fact that parents are trying to work simultaneously and don't have the time or ability to run classroom management all day.

keym

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:34 am
I would not appreciate my kids being forced to leave the camera on.
That's an excessive and unfair pressure to me to make sure that my house, or at least my child's space is clean enough and free from a newly toilet trained brother running around in his birthday suit..

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:34 am
I am a SLP, not a teacher, so I am working with smaller groups than a teacher. Some of my students are actually doing better on Google Meet, especially older ones. Others just can't focus. There are also some households that aren't very conducive to staying focused.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:36 am
Remote learning is more realistic for kids who are already fluent readers and writers. Meaning they can read directions, read slides, communicate effectively via chat or email, and help themselves a certain amount if questions arise by looking up answers.

One on one Zoom learning can be quite effective with younger kids in my experience and can keep the child engaged, even at age 4.

Group Zoom for younger kids can be great for telling the parsha, practicing davening, or having social time like show and tell. But, even with well-disposed kids, I just don't think group Zoom is an effective way to deliver actual skill development in math, beginning reading, or writing.

elsily

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:36 am
They just simply won’t sit there n watch a screen for hours. Kids aren’t meant to do that to learn!

little neshamala

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:37 am
My son is doing beautifully on zoom. His school is very organized...they take real attendance, the teachers were all trained how to use zoom...you need to raise your hand to ask or answer a question, the teacher unmutes you to answer, or unmutes the class for a give and take...its working quite nicely. For all subjects

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:39 am
We encourage but don't force students to turn on their cameras.
Chat is a good way for shy students who wouldn't otherwise, participate in discussions.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:44 am
The relationship between teacher and students is non-existent via zoom. There's little motivation for lots of kids without that aspect.

keym

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:45 am
little neshamala wrote:
My son is doing beautifully on zoom. His school is very organized...they take real attendance, the teachers were all trained how to use zoom...you need to raise your hand to ask or answer a question, the teacher unmutes you to answer, or unmutes the class for a give and take...its working quite nicely. For all subjects

When you say it's working nicely, do you mean as a first choice, or as the better of all bad choices?
Because I'm seeing a trend of people saying, "hey remote is turning out better than we thought, let's consider turning this into the new normal". I mean doctors, therapists, tutors, etc.
Now I'm happy for those that Zoom is doing well for, but as a society, I think we should remember that in-person dr and therapy and school is usually infinitely better.
Remote dr can't get all the information.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Let me preface this by saying that I HATE ZOOM. I want my kids out of the house and on a normal schedule. I work full time and I am losing my mind being on top of all that is involved with zooming.
Logistically we are not yet really set up with enough computers, web cams and head phones.
But-
On a different thread somebody mentioned that ZOOM is not like homeschooling and therefore kids won't be learning much on it.
If you think so, I would like to understand why you are saying that.
If a child is set up properly and is being taught on his level-- why wouldn't he progress scholastically?

Isn't this how the chabad sheluchim in remote locations have been doing elementary school for a while now?

I haven’t read through all the comments yet, so I don’t know what others said. For my kids, zoom was (is- I currently have one on zoom) a disaster. My kids don’t sit still. In the classroom, it’s dealt with, but on zoom, they need to have their faces in the camera at all times. No breaks when they need them, no fidgeting in their seats....My children also need to SEE what they are learning, and holding up a little board to demonstrate just doesn’t cut it. They need to see you working out the math problem, which is really hard to do on zoom. They need to be able to look at the board for the lists of shorashim and milim while they are learning, not be looking at the teachers face.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:47 am
For more success there would have to be more of a need and buy in from parents kids and staff and CDC said schools can open in person.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 10:55 am
I use to teach in a center that had kids on virtual school for high school.
Some excelled some didn’t
Some could do their assignments on their own others needed help, some constant help and motivation.
Virtual school is not like zoom, though.
There is no live teacher during the lesson.
If a child wanted to he could contact the teacher for clarification on assignments or help.

I’m not sure why distance learning could not use the virtual school model that is already set up at least for 6-12 grade, english studies.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 11:01 am
I think a lot of kids can do well on zoom if it’s properly run. But in person school is obviously more ideal if possible.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics