Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
4 year old not ready for big boy bed?

Redbird

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:34 am
I transitioned him to a bed around his 4th bday, a few months ago. (I know, super overdue, but he didn't care and neither did I)

He moves around alot and I keep hearing the BANG of his head hitting the wall. I put rolled up blanket against the wall for padding and he just ends up on it, or moving it... It doesn't usually wake him up but it can't be good

Last night he rolled off the bed. That means he rolled all the way off the foot of a twin size, because his bed is 80% surrounded by wall / guardrail.

Is this typical? Will he outgrow it soon?

Have I enabled this by waiting so long and giving a guardrail?

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:55 am
What was he in before?

Seems interesting. I have a kid who moves around a lot including wall-banging but she doesn't usually fall OFF off. Sometimes I find her with various parts of her body hanging off but she adjusts in her sleep before tipping over (she's 8 now and hasn't fallen in a long time, but she's been doing this forever. Slept in a toddler bed from about 2-4 and I'd find her all over the room. Big kid bed she seemed to stay on better, I think the edge feels more limiting.)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:34 am
My sister fell out of the bed as long as I can remember, sometimes 2 or 3 times a night. (I wonder if she still does? LOL )

There are guard rails you can put on the edge of his bed, that still have a place for him to climb out of if he needs to get out. Put the gap in the rail by his feet.

Nothing wrong with your son, he just has a super active sleep rhythm. He also seems like a really deep sleeper, so going over the edge doesn't wake him up enough for him to catch himself. A rail can make all the difference, without it feeling like an enclosed "baby" crib.

https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-.....K8E3H

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:31 am
Following. My 2 year old moves all over and I can’t see him being safe in a bed!

Op, maybe you can get a bed with a footboard so he’s protected on all sides?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:35 am
My four year old moves all over. He has been on a low high riser bed since he is 18 months. Sometimes he falls off but it's on carpet and really low to the floor. It's normal

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 10:39 am
My kids are in toddler beds. I find them half off of the bed sometimes.
I would be hearing thumping if they are in a higher bed!

All kids move around during sleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers