Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/o appropriate earrings for yeshivish girl
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:07 am
My 6 yr old wants earrings. What is an appropriate earring for a little girl. Im looking for the opinions of fellow yeshivish women. I assume studs. But style? Cubic zirconia? Fake pearls? Cute shapes like hearts or unicorns.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:17 am
You autocorrected to "earnings", not "earrings". You might want to fix that, unless your 6yo has a really good job. Wink

As long as the earrings don't dangle, she should be fine. Let her pick them out! Steer her towards the stud earrings, and then let her get a few pairs.

Maybe let her wear a tiny dangle for Shabbos, if it makes her feel fancy.

mfb

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:18 am
https://www.amazon.com/Bevan-H.....Z515Q

salt

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:22 am
Look what her friends are wearing.
Ask her.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:23 am
Not pearls! lol.

Kinor Dovid

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 6:27 am
Stay away from pearls!!
She’ll be in shidduchim in 12 years and some people might remember that she used to wear pearls.
Laugh

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:51 am
probably not unicorns, either. some people have a problem with a. tref animals and b. nonjewish myths.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 7:59 am
Small studs make sense for 1st earrings. Fewer things for them to get stuck on, etc.

As for what type of studs: Why don't you let her pick out something she likes?
- small cz
- different colored cz gems
- small shapes.

As long as it's nothing weird (little handcuffs, for example), shouldn't it be okay?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 8:03 am
I bought by double header. They have great jewelry for all ages! They also have a great website. They usually have whatever current and trendy.doubleheaderusa.com
I am addicted to that store btw!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:31 pm
I see a tiny dangle on girls, like a little charm on a hoop look.. Gold toned.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:40 pm
https://www.simplywhispers.com.....rings

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:42 pm
I actually avoided studs at that age as my girls were sensitive to it. I like a hoop earring so there's air circulating around the earring hole.

Like a small hoop with a little heart or flower hanging from it, something like that, is what my girls used to wear at that age.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:47 pm
zaq wrote:
probably not unicorns, either. some people have a problem with a. tref animals and b. nonjewish myths.

How can a fake animal be treyf? Just curious

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:16 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
How can a fake animal be treyf? Just curious

I remember having a whole discussion on unicorns in my 10th grade BY Chumash class. Some say the colorful Techashim whose skins were used for the mishkan were unicorns. Probably not the unicorns we think of today, but whatever....

So, they may not have been fake, but they were not kosher animals.

I have no issue with unicorns, but I have heard that Sephardim consider it to be a big no-no. As told to me by DD, whose close friend is Syrian Sephardi.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:21 pm
I always found hoops to be most comfortable and cause the least infections. I personally cannot sleep with stud earrings in. Can't imagine my little daughter would be too comfortable either! And no way am I taking them out/putting them in every morning like I do for myself.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 3:45 pm
This is the pair my 6 yr old daughter wears. I wouldn't call myself yeshivish, but I would say I am frum and live in Lakewood.
https://www.amazon.com/Molly-G....._1_dc

The brand 'twin stars' is also popular. Both brands come with non-hanging earing options too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 4:02 pm
I like the leverback style. Bought twin stars several times, different shapes, for my daughters.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 4:28 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I remember having a whole discussion on unicorns in my 10th grade BY Chumash class. Some say the colorful Techashim whose skins were used for the mishkan were unicorns. Probably not the unicorns we think of today, but whatever....

So, they may not have been fake, but they were not kosher animals.

Shabbat 28a says that the tachash was kosher.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 4:58 pm
In which case they were not the unicorns of Disney and Unicorn Tapestry fame, especially since in Christian tradition the unicorn is associated with the Nazarene.

Techashim may be kosher but unicorns ain't. Their hooves aren't split and they don't chew their cud. Cud chewing is very unattractive and no self-respecting unicorn would dream of doing anything so uncouth.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 5:08 pm
zaq wrote:
Techashim may be kosher but unicorns ain't. Their hooves aren't split and they don't chew their cud. Cud chewing is very unattractive and no self-respecting unicorn would dream of doing anything so uncouth.

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics