Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
At what age are you too old to keep up with styles?
Previous  1  2

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:51 am
etky wrote:
I agree with your thesis with the caveat that I think that women's figures do change regardless of pregnancy or other weight gain. Not every year - but maybe every decade or so. There are changes in the breasts, hips, stomach that have to do with shifting hormones and fat redistribution. So, for example, even if you stay the same weight, something that will look good on you in your thirties might not look good anymore in your forties. The changes might be subtle but they often require you to buy new clothes.

That I agree with. But it's not a yearly change as it is for children and teenagers. You have more time to take a step back from fashion and think, 'Is this what I want to wear?' without the urgency finding something that will fit. Excluding pregnancy, body changes are gradual.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:57 am
As soon as one is old enough to pick out their own clothes.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:48 am
I was too "old" to keep up with styles in the womb. (I'm 25 now.)

Or, more like I just don't care. I think fashion is one of the dumbest things ever invented. Wear what looks good on you.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:26 am
Elfrida wrote:
That I agree with. But it's not a yearly change as it is for children and teenagers. You have more time to take a step back from fashion and think, 'Is this what I want to wear?' without the urgency finding something that will fit. Excluding pregnancy, body changes are gradual.

For me it is Smile
Normal
Pregnancy
Postpartum
Nursing
Normal

Each of those stages lasts from 6 months - a year/year and a half

giselle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:34 am
You do you. There are no rules.

One of the many imamother phenomena is that when there are threads on styles, people seem to be fixated on one or two very specific styles (Browns! Plaids!) In the real world there are usually quite a few trends you can follow. If you care enough. And if you don’t, that’s fine too. I love fashion but will only wear what looks good on me. Which sometimes means skipping some trends altogether.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:14 am
I'm in my 40s and I love fashion. I wear the trends that don't look ridiculous on me. So I'll wear a slight puff sleeve but not an exaggerated one. No humorously large lace collar sweaters on me either.

Whereas I used to shop more at places like H&M, now I'll find these items at somewhere like Banana Republic or J Crew, where the cut is more for a woman and the quality is better.

I have daughters and sometimes we do dress alike and there's nothing wrong with that. They dress tsnius and usually somewhat basic. A black skirt and oversized sweater and booties looks fine on all of us.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:31 am
People in their 30's and 40's are still young enough to care about fashion but there is no longer much interest at my age and youngish clothing looks ridiculous on people my age. For example, I have old lady feet so high heeled sandals would look terrible on me but terrific on a young woman.

Simple1

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:40 am
Your op is based on the false premise that all young women dress trendy. Many many 20s and 30s dress classic while still looking great. (And older women too!) There's a different between dressing current and stylish vs dressing super trendy. Clothes that fit and suit your body will make more of a difference than following specific trends.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:54 am
Never confuse "style" with "trendy fashion"; they are not the same. "Style" has to do with selecting clothing and accessories that make you look your best. Cut, color, fit, fabric and quality all play a role and are more important than what's on the pages of this month's fashion rag.

Classics become classics for a good reason: they tend to flatter most people regardless of age, and in the long run they are most economical because they can be worn forever. They seldom go completely "out" although at some times they are more "in" than at others. If you wear classics, you will not often be dressed at the height of fashion but you will always be well-dressed.

Another plus of classics is that they don't date you in pictures. If your high school picture showed you in a miniskirt or bell-bottom jeans, acid green-and-fuchsia-striped poorboy sweater, peace symbol medallion and white go-go boots, you have just placed yourself squarely in the Twiggy-era 1960s. If your suit jacket had the shoulders of an NFL wide receiver, you were an adult in the 1980s and no use pretending you're 25 even if you've "had work done." OTOH, if your high school picture shows you in a striped oxford shirt, pleated knee-length skirt, and penny loafers, that photo could have been taken at any time in the last 60-70 years up to and including yesterday.

Super trendy clothing looks ridiculous on almost everyone, regardless of age. It may be excused on the very young because one expects the very young to do foolish things. Once people have reached the age of reason, one expects them to act--and dress--with greater intelligence. and discretion.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:02 am
Unless, of course, you're Cher or Lady Gaga, in which case ridiculous costumes are your stock in trade and you wear them till you die. You still look ridiculous, but unlike the average fashion victim, you get paid to look that way.

giselle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:08 am
Btw I follow a few fashion bloggers on Instagram, and while they have a few super trendy pieces, most of the time they’re dressed comfortably and casually.

skcomputer

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:26 am
I just came across this story this morning. It covers keeping up with (rather modest) style in various age ranges.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/fe......html

Stylists who DEFRUMPED the royals: How fashion gurus including Cara Delevingne's mum secretly transformed the likes of Sophie Wessex and Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie

Troop of discreet style professionals has begun overhauling Royal ladies from frump to fabulous
Gone are the unflattering hemlines, clunky colours and millinery mishaps
These are the unacknowledged experts breathing fresh life into their wardrobes

mirror

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:54 pm
As always, I am offering you the opportunity of a lifetime, for you to simply ship all your jewelry to me - or whatever your cleaning lady neglected to pocket - and I will pay for shipping and insurance. This way you will have enough closet space for the trendy stuff.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:42 pm
I try to wear what looks nice & flattering on me, not the latest crazy styles.
I browsed the Zara's women's website- OMG! Where has taste gone?

I saw a heavy set woman by simcha, wearing a short top with a band at waist, puffy sleeves with a tie at center of her stomach. It made her look 3x her size. Her weight is in her stomach.

I basically stick to long cardigans to cover my weight.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics