Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Chassidishe boys
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:50 pm
My husband wears his v neck tshirt and white underwear most nights.

LOL.

I also asked him about the chasidish underwear lol. I didn’t know there was such a thing haha.

He also has a night shirt (nightgown sounds too girly) but he hardly ever wears it.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:51 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
My husband wears his v neck tshirt and white underwear most nights.

LOL.

I also asked him about the chasidish underwear lol. I didn’t know there was such a thing haha.

He also has a night shirt (nightgown sounds too girly) but he hardly ever wears it.

I imagine your DH wears chassidish underwear, he just doesn't know that it's called chassidish underwear.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:14 pm
keym wrote:
This is a fascinating thread.
OP, as a mother of a newly bar mitzvah Litvishe boy, I'm going to mention some things you don't want to forget to buy- universal
Hat brush
Black Raincoat- the large ones that cover the hat
Black wool winter coat
Plastic bag for tefillin bag- my son likes the kind that has a strap that can be worn over the stroller
Tefillin mirror- Judaica stores sell them for under $5. My son said it's a huge help for positioning the tefillin
2 weekday jackets, coats, chalats, whatever you use. Machine wash- one to be worn and one to be washed.

I started washing wool tzitzis in the machine. I use the plastic Magen Tzitzit thingies (I found them in Gourmet Glatt at the checkout aisle). Cold, delicate load, and I remove the plastics and let drip dry as soon as possible. If the tzitzits get left outside, they might need to be ironed, but it gets properly cleaned.

That’s so interesting, I am dati leumi- the only thing on this list that my DS got for his bar mitzvah was a tefilin mirror (it came with his tefilin case).
When my son became Bar mitzvah the only thing I bought for him was new tzitzis with techelet.
My ILs bought him his tefilin and his tefilin case - not a traditional bag but a protective case that boys and young men here in Israel use for tefilin - more like a thermos and it comes with a mirror (I remember the mirror being a big deal with DS) and my father bought him a talit because it’s his families minhag to wear a talit from bar mitzvah and DS wanted one because many of his friends are Sefardi. He didn’t change anything about the way he dresses (except for tchelet), so obviously I bought new clothes for the event and Shabbat, but the same styles that he’s always worn.

keym

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:30 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
That’s so interesting, I am dati leumi- the only thing on this list that my DS got for his bar mitzvah was a tefilin mirror (it came with his tefilin case).
When my son became Bar mitzvah the only thing I bought for him was new tzitzis with techelet.
My ILs bought him his tefilin and his tefilin case - not a traditional bag but a protective case that boys and young men here in Israel use for tefilin - more like a thermos and it comes with a mirror (I remember the mirror being a big deal with DS) and my father bought him a talit because it’s his families minhag to wear a talit from bar mitzvah and DS wanted one because many of his friends are Sefardi. He didn’t change anything about the way he dresses (except for tchelet), so obviously I bought new clothes for the event and Shabbat, but the same styles that he’s always worn.

Truthfully some of these things are more practical.
The raincoat has a wide hood to go over the hat also.
The hatbrush is to clean the hat.
If the tefillin bag is a classic never go out of style velvet, it needs a plastic to protect it from the rain- so I'll choose the plastic with a strap for more practicality, especially going to school.

Some schools in Lakewood have a white shirt, black pants, black shoes dress code beginning in 7th grade. So I bought all that months before his bar mitzvah.
It's interesting to me how posters are talking about undershirts and underwear and socks. I deliberately budgeted to buy him new around 4 months before his bar mitzvah. He was going through a growth spurt. Technically he'd be ok for a bit longer but I didn't want to deal with buying the basics at the same time I'd be spending on the parties.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:03 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I imagine your DH wears chassidish underwear, he just doesn't know that it's called chassidish underwear.
Why would you think so? Unless he happened to buy his underwear at a chassidish dry goods store and happened to buy chassidish underwear unknowingly.

nchr

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:30 pm
The regular length of gatches is just below the knee. A nightgown is white and a little longer and is what it is. I think there may be colored ones but that is not standard.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:03 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Um....yes....he does know what chasidish underwear is.

:/

My husband is not stupid Sad

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:04 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Why would you think so? Unless he happened to buy his underwear at a chassidish dry goods store and happened to buy chassidish underwear unknowingly.

My husband knows what he’s getting. He’s not dumb or stupid Smile

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:27 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

I said that I imagine so because the way she has described how her husband dresses (in other threads) I can only imagine such a person wears chassidish gotches. I didn't mean it as an insult. She asked what chassidish underwear is.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:33 pm
No one mentioned the different hats and
Different suit lengths
Lange rekil, kortze rekil, 3/4 rekil, Single breast double breasted
Flache biber hit, hoyeche, krach,
Depends on your chassiduS
Shvarze zoken

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:34 pm
nchr wrote:
The regular length of gatches is just below the knee. A nightgown is white and a little longer and is what it is. I think there may be colored ones but that is not standard.

The mens nightshirts come in the same prints as the mens pj's. DH wore them in yeshiva. They all wore colored prints.

rowo

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:07 pm
This is so interesting! I don’t think this is stupid at all. Even though I can see that the boys in our community start davening with a hat and jacket at bar mitzvah I had no idea where to get them from till I asked around.
I love learning about other communities and their minhagim!

My son was also recently bar mitzvah and basically wears the same clothes he wore before. He got tefillin, a hat, new suit etc but the same shirts and everything else. Plus a jacket for davening that he often wears most of the day. I think a mirror was included in the tefillin bag my parents bought him.
If it’s raining the boys here put their hats in a plastic bag or hat box and wear a regular rain coat.

Can I ask, why does the type of shirt, underwear and sleepwear change at bar mitzvah?

Reality

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:16 pm
This is one of the most distasteful threads I have ever read!!

This is why initially people were suspicious to post information. This thread turned into complete voyeurism and I am appalled!! Nobody needs to know such minute details about other people's underwear!! I am sorry I opened this thread at all!!

Is someone planning on writing an article about chassidish men's underwear and pj's? Ugh!!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:29 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
The mens nightshirts come in the same prints as the mens pj's. DH wore them in yeshiva. They all wore colored prints.

The real chassidish ones are white some have a navy line around the cuff or buttons. The colored ones are more modern.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:32 pm
Can you define “modern” for us clueless imas please?

Just One

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:35 pm
rowo wrote:
This is so interesting! I don’t think this is stupid at all. Even though I can see that the boys in our community start davening with a hat and jacket at bar mitzvah I had no idea where to get them from till I asked around.
I love learning about other communities and their minhagim!

My son was also recently bar mitzvah and basically wears the same clothes he wore before. He got tefillin, a hat, new suit etc but the same shirts and everything else. Plus a jacket for davening that he often wears most of the day. I think a mirror was included in the tefillin bag my parents bought him.
If it’s raining the boys here put their hats in a plastic bag or hat box and wear a regular rain coat.

Can I ask, why does the type of shirt, underwear and sleepwear change at bar mitzvah?

They start dressing in Black and White only at bar mitzvah which is when they start wearing their specific chassidish levush.

Types of underwear and and sleepwear are traditional to certain chassidim (basically for kedusha reasons) starting from bar mitzvah when boys adopt the levush

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
The real chassidish ones are white some have a navy line around the cuff or buttons. The colored ones are more modern.

DH learnt in Gibbers. Please find me a less "real chassidish" yeshiva. It's one of the most farfrumt yeshiva's.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:40 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
DH learnt in Gibbers. Please find me a less "real chassidish" yeshiva. It's one of the most farfrumt yeshiva's.

Maybe Tosh,queens, who knows but I don’t know the pj rules there 😂

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:54 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
My husband knows what he’s getting. He’s not dumb or stupid Smile

Some of them are plain white boxers.

giselle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:58 pm
Wasn’t there a locked thread a few months back about boxers vs briefs? Getting de ja vu..
Boxers vs Briefs, Chasidic edition
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics