Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
When is the garbage taken out?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:52 am
When it's full?
Every night before bed?
When it's about to be full?

Dh and I argue about this Wink
I think it should be every night (so we wake up to a clean house, not a smelly leftover dinner house). Dh thinks only when it's already full.
Thoughts?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 7:55 am
When its full which is usually daily. So nothing sits there more then a day.
Never had a problem with it smelling really bad and if I did put in something nasty it went right out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:00 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
When its full which is usually daily. So nothing sits there more then a day.
Never had a problem with it smelling really bad and if I did put in something nasty it went right out.

It's not a nasty smell but if the garbage with dinner leftovers sits overnight, then we smell dinner in the morning...

LifesBliss

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:01 am
Every night after dinner cleanup

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:05 am
When it's full.

But if the smell bothers you, odor shield garbage bags are not that much more expensive that unscented.

elaela

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:18 am
is there a correct answer to this?
will this be a question asked by potential inlaws?
it depends on the size of your family/bin/garbage content...
in our house: the office bin gets thrown out when its full (mostly paper), paperbin gets thrown out when ful (recycling), glass and metal bin gets also thrown out when full (usually clean content, no smell). the kitchen garbage can and the bathroom garbage can (and diapers) get thrown out daily (idont care whether in the evening or morning)- they have a lid, so usually we dont smell it. we still bring it out daily though soo it doest accumulate, and its nice and empty for the next person to throw in sth.
I have freinds with special diaper garbage cans they throw them out only ones a week, cos they apparantly dont let smell through. we dont have that.
I have friends with an open kitchen garbage bin and they bring it out twice a day, cos otherwise it smells.
so what is the CORRECT answer?
why would this cause a discussion beween husband and wife? do what works for you. If the dinnersmell bothers you in the morning, why wouldnt your husband agree to bring it out at night?
are binliners expencive where you live? sometimes generic work just as well (or better)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:19 am
singleagain wrote:
When it's full.

But if the smell bothers you, odor shield garbage bags are not that much more expensive that unscented.

Maybe I'm crazy
I hate the scented smell

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:23 am
Before Thanksgiving dinner.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:41 am
When it's full, which ends up being almost every night.

My garbage can has a lid, no bad smell comes out really. If I do put in something strong, like leftover from a pot, I usually put it first in a bag.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:48 am
Same issue OP - were only two people so it takes a few days for it to fill up. We have a cover and when its gets really smelly even if not full we chuck it.

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 8:50 am
OP, if you can't agree... Get a smaller can so it will be full every night and go out.

Win win

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:54 am
I take it out when it's full, or Erev Shabbos if it's almost full, so as to have it clean and with plenty of space on Shabbos. I've never noticed dinner related smells, and you can always leave a window partly open to help aerate the house.

If you want to take it out every night, there is nothing stopping you taking it out. Contrary to popular belief, a Y chromosome is not a prerequisite for the advanced skill of carrying a rubbish bag out of the house.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:57 am
AFAIK there's no domestic law or halacha that addresses this issue. We're all free to so what works for us, and that will be governed by variables such as the type of trash ( raw chicken skin, weeks-old cooked cabbage and moldy cottage cheese vs. rinsed-out eggshells, barely-used paper napkins and cereal boxes), the volume of trash, the convenience or inconvenience of removing the trash, and the willingness or unwillingness of any individual to do the job.

We live in an apartment building. Taking out the trash involves taking an elevator down to the basement and taking an elevator back. It's just one small elevator, something we try to avoid in these days of COVID, and the wait time can be significant. There's an exit from the basement to the street, so it's no trouble remove the trash on my way out in the morning. Unless the trash is overflowing, already putrid or has a high potential for putrefying overnight (e.g. hot weather combined with lots of putrescible content like chicken scraps), there's no reason to make a special trip just to dump it at night when I can do so on my way out in the morning. And if on any given day we generate very little trash (it happens; we recycle a lot) and it's not highly putrescible, it can linger for two or even three days as long as it doesn't smell. Once it smells, out it goes, even in the middle of the day, even if it requires a special trip.

Like silverlining3, I usually sequester the really wicked stuff (which is usually wet and leaky, anyway) in a reused plastic bag tied tight. That buys us a little time before it makes its presence known in an unmistakable fashion.

Also, when we have a mouse infestation, the trash goes out every night. Don't want to leave anything around for those four-footed momzers to feed on.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:04 am
When it’s full. A few times a day sometimes!

sky

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:06 am
When it’s full.
My garbage has a cover. When closed there is no smell.
I specifically gave a 30 gallon trash can so we can take it out less often.

ETA - I bag smelly stuff (diapers, leftovers) in supermarket bags. I hope they don’t do away with it. We would just end up wasting more garbage bags...

Question do you want him to take it out every night? If he doesn’t want to can’t you just do it yourself?

Last edited by sky on Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:07 am
when its full and erev shabbos regardless if its full or not. do you have a can with a lid? I feel like its wasteful to change every day when it only gets filled up every couple of days, but thats just my nature. I dont throw out leftovers either...

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:08 am
Contrary to popular belief, a Y chromosome is not a prerequisite for the advanced skill of carrying a rubbish bag out of the house.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:18 am
I am physically disabled and it's very hard for me to take the garbage out. I push myself to do it anyway sometimes but if I did it every night it would backfire and I would regret it (and so would Dh because I wouldn't be able to function properly as a wife and mom).

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, a Y chromosome is not a prerequisite for the advanced skill of carrying a rubbish bag out of the house.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

But it helps.

blessedflower

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:31 am
In Antwerp the garbage goes out once a week! Oh the smell... (and the flies)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics