Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you know how to ride a 2 wheel bike?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you know how to ride a two wheel bike?
Yes - I'm MO  
 8%  [ 21 ]
No - I'm MO  
 2%  [ 5 ]
Yes - I'm JPF  
 12%  [ 31 ]
No - I'm JPF  
 3%  [ 8 ]
Yes - I'm Yeshivish  
 19%  [ 47 ]
No - I'm Yeshivish  
 1%  [ 4 ]
Yes - I'm Chassidish  
 34%  [ 84 ]
No - I'm Chassidish  
 5%  [ 14 ]
Yes - I'm something else right wing  
 9%  [ 23 ]
No - I'm something else right wing  
 2%  [ 5 ]
Yes - I'm something else left wing  
 0%  [ 2 ]
No - I'm something else left wing  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 244

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:13 am
I love bike riding but can only do it in a park now...I stopped riding in my neighborhood when I was 12.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 10:18 am
Chassidish. We didn't have a bike at home, but during summers I would ride in the bungalow colony. Taught myself on training wheels and then graduated to 2 wheelers.
Recently rented a NYC bike and didn't feel the same control I thought I would. Not sure if that's because the bikes are poor quality, or because I'm out of practice. That took the wind out of my sails and lost my cheshek for biking, whereas before this trip I'd been dreaming of biking for Chai.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:03 am
What's JPF?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:19 am
Yes and chassidish. I wasn’t supposed to learn how to ride but I taught myself with my brothers bike in the country when no one was watching. Now I go riding on trails in state parks.

sub

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
It is totally acceptable for girls in Williamsburg to ride bikes. Just not Satmer girls. Girls from other schools do ride bikes. We rode our bikes till Bas Mitzvah age. I see many girls on rollerskates, I think it's not tzenuis for girls and we don't allow our girls to use their skates outside.
My girls learnt to ride a bike at about age 5/6.
I love to bike and I do so whenever we get the opportunity.

Why is this less tznius than bike riding?
Biking causes skirt to ride up and legs are revealed.

sub

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
What's JPF?

Just plain frum

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:30 am
Yes. But what I am now is not what I was when I learned to ride. Not sure what you want from this poll.
And Btw are all these chassidish ladies who were not allowed to bike in the street past age 12, the same ones who do family bikes on Shore pkwy (along the Belt). Not any more tznius than a singular bike. Cant tell you how many womens' skirt were riding up.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:34 am
No, but not because of religious reasons. My father tried to teach me, my husband tried to teach me - my balance is terrible.

In theory, I would not ride a bike locally but would ride in more isolated areas. I would let my girls ride bikes but we don't have bikes because they would get stolen within the week (even if chained. Btdt)

Right wing, other, in your poll

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:35 am
MO. We all learned at age 4-5 in my family.
Community was mixed MO/JPF/Yeshivish and all the kids rode bikes.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:37 am
sub wrote:
Why is this less tznius than bike riding?
Biking causes skirt to ride up and legs are revealed.

I don't think the body movements made while skating are tzenuis. I taught my girls how to sit on their skirts so it doesn't pick up when they're riding their bikes.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:40 am
I don't think the body movements made while skating are tzenuis. I taught my girls how to sit on their skirts so it doesn't pick up when they're riding their bikes.

Please teach me!!! I haven't quite figured it out.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:43 am
I never learned to ride a bike. Somehow I never managed on my own, and no one had the time to teach me when I was growing up. Tried several times, got thrown off, and gave up.
My girls can all ride...DH taught them.

Good Friend

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:50 am
I never learned to ride a bike or swim. I am just afraid of activities that aren't two feet on the ground. They just feel dangerous to me. I wish my parents would have put in more effort to help me overcome it and learn these skills, but they left it up to me to figure out on my own and after a little while I gave up on the bike riding. I was only taken to a pool like once or twice a year, so not often enough to overcome my fear and learn.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not allowed in many Chassidish communities. Even not for some boys but definitely not girls. Guess if you live in Monsey or BP you have neighbors who do but not in KJ or Williamsburg

Most girls ride bikes when younger, and still do when older on the occasional vacation or trip. Agreed that you wouldn't see girls riding the streets of Williamsburg, but the same girls would do so in a private area.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:55 am
I am sixty and still do

Malkqueen

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:04 pm
I learned to ride a bike when I was a kid (my dress getting stuck in the chain and having to cut if off is a memory I won't quickly forget!)
At about 12(?), I stopped bike riding and did more roller blading (preference, not tznius - my younger sisters stayed on bikes until they got married). In my older teens, I tried riding again and debunked the statement that it's a skill you never forget. My balance was off, I felt insecure and wobbly, braked too sharply... Back to roller blades for me.
Chassidish.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:11 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Most girls ride bikes when younger, and still do when older on the occasional vacation or trip. Agreed that you wouldn't see girls riding the streets of Williamsburg, but the same girls would do so in a private area.

No. Many Chassidishe families have girls who never ride a bike. Maybe they are not represented in this thead since it is online. Purpose of thread is stam a poll. Is that not allowed?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:13 pm
I know how to ride a bike. But my father, my sister, and my husband all don't know how. And none of them grew up frum.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:17 pm
I didn't learn because we didn't have a bike or anywhere to store in our tiny apt. It wasn't a priority to teach me. I tried teaching myself a few years ago. I'd launch my self down a grassy hill and pedal. I spent a month trying. Then gave up.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:32 pm

Long slinky skirts usually work or even better wear leggings under your skirt!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics