Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chulent challenge-no onion or garlic

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:28 pm
Is it even possible to make a good Chulent without?
Having a guest who cannot eat onion or garlic- even in powder form.
I can use salt, pepper, paprika... what else can I use for flavor?

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 12:29 pm
Hmmm ..sweet potatoes, carrots, honey? For the onions

Garlic is an interesting one. I don't know how you replace that

ETA - ahhhh, I forgot about asefoetida! It really does taste halfway between onions and garlic when cooked. Don't let the raw stinky deter you -- it's good stuff.

https://www.verywellhealth.com.....24033

^^and check out this article - it has a lot of good ideas

EsG

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:00 pm
I would just leave out the garlic and onions. Meat (assuming you add this) has wonderful flavor on its own. You can do paprika, salt, maybe some chili powder if you want more depth of flavor. I sometimes add ketchup and honey.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:06 pm
I was going to say nope not possible but I think the point about the meat is true. I recommend using a nice amount of flanken. marrow bones are good too. as far as the chili powder and ketchup mentioned above, be careful because they both might have garlic powder as an ingredient.

I assume that also includes leeks and shallots? if not I would use those. also maybe red wine? tamari/shoyu? not a substitute but they give good flavor.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:17 pm
Thanks for responding-

Ketchup has onion powder in the ingredients...I’m thinking maybe a tiny drop of vinegar with tomato paste and brown sugar? .... will use meat

I will definitely make my regular Chulent for everyone else!

EsG

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:21 pm
I really think as long as you salt the cholent generously it should be delicious! I have definitely left out onions if I didn't have any. Couldn't taste any difference quite honestly.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:23 pm
maybe sautee celery and mushrooms in olive oil? and then add a little honey to the pan and sautee for another min till it starts to bubble, and then put in bottom of cholent pot. (I usually do this with onions)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:46 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
Is it even possible to make a good Chulent without?
Having a guest who cannot eat onion or garlic- even in powder form.
I can use salt, pepper, paprika... what else can I use for flavor?

Yes! I've done it and it was still great. Put in all the ingredients except raw meat. Taste the liquid and keep seasoning with salt until it's very tasty. Kosher salt gives more flavor. Then add the meat and put it up to cook.

If you want more than that, add equal amounts brown sugar, ketchup (or tomato sauce that doesn't have the onion/garlic seasoning), and oil, in addition to the salt. Delicious.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:49 pm; edited 3 times in total

jflower

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:46 pm
I add smoked paprika and a bit of cayenne pepper which adds a kick and lots of flavor.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:59 pm
I never make my cholent with onion and/or any garlic, just with some oil, salt, paprika, and white pepper. I add meat-flanken and potato Kugel. My cholent is most of the time really delicious!!

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:28 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
I never make my cholent with onion and/or any garlic, just with some oil, salt, paprika, and white pepper. I add meat-flanken and potato Kugel. My cholent is most of the time really delicious!!

That’s very encouraging! I don’t usually cook with white pepper. I use a lot of black pepper (both fine and course). What is the difference between black and white pepper?

newyorker5

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:48 pm
White pepper adds a ton of flavor!

cholentfan1

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:56 pm
I never use onion and garlic in my cholent. I put salt, ketchup and paprika. I find the meat, beans and barley usually give it enough flavor.

shanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:04 pm
Yes! We’ve done that. You can still make a yummy Chulent.

Last edited by shanarishona on Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

#1baker

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:09 pm
1 onion diced (I use frozen about 1/2 pack) 
1 pk cholent mix (I use navy beans) 
5 oz barley 
1/4 c. Oil 
8 cups water 
1 tbs. paprika 
1 tbs salt 
1 tbs sugar 
1 tbs honey 
1 tsp black pepper ( I use a bit more that 1/2 tsp.) 
Soak beans and barley put in crockpot add onions and rest of ing. Cook for a few hours on high and then put on low. I add a bit of meat or chicken gizzard and turkey neck.
I make this recipe every week and usually skip the onion

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:40 pm
Diced celerY, carrot And an aromatic herb you like such as dill or rosemary as a flavour base. Also we like lamb belly. Lots of flavour here. Oh also soy sauce/miso.

cbg

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:32 pm
I’m not sure if it has onion or garlic powder, but Trader Joe’s makes an umani spice

Odelyah

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 9:56 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Diced celerY, carrot And an aromatic herb you like such as dill or rosemary as a flavour base. Also we like lamb belly. Lots of flavour here. Oh also soy sauce/miso.

lamb yum-- I'm coming to you for shabbos Smile we always have lamb stew for shabbos pesach cholent as a treat.

is rosemary good with beef andrea? we love it with chicken and potatoes. and I never tried dill with beef either-- I always use it in my chicken soup and on fish.. and of course lamb stew Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus