Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Different, interesting cultures
1  2  Next

Petra

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:27 pm
I had the occasion to meet an ethnic Karen person today. (they are from Burma/Northern Thailand). Knowing zero about the Karen culture, I looked it up later. I was surprised to read that it's a matriarchal society. A new husband marries into the wife's family and lives with the wife's family. He helps to support her and the family. They have (generally) 50-50 family duties. They can be Christian, Buddhist, Muslim or practice animism.

I find this fascinating. It's also a bit unsettling to know so many people that have such different but strong religious beliefs.

Anyone else with interesting cultural experiences?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:37 pm
I'm obsessed in looking up different cultures and groups. Its fascinating that so many groups and religions have similar dynamics. It was eye opening for me that so many different smaller groups function in a similar to the way I grew up.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:44 pm
I was roommates in the icu with what we called “the abandoned baby” (And he was an extremely sick baby) my other (Philippino) roommate couldn’t handle the nebach’ness of that baby & begged the nurses to let her soothe him when her son was sleeping (was not allowed though) Anyway, one day she shows me an article on her phone- basically this baby was from a culture (Asian) where mothers must adhere to very very strict rules postpartum. She couldn’t understand how this mom didn’t get a “heter” to come to this very sick baby. Not sure if dad was overwhelmed with the wife’s & possibly other kids care but we only saw him once when the hospital called them down to an emergency meeting.

To me this whole postpartum culture was extremely interesting. Especially that there are some chasidus that take some things very strict after having a baby (like not leaving the house).

ETA I definitely had a good chuckle when I heard those Beiging moms have a kimpeturin heim Laugh

Last edited by Sunny Days on Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:45 pm
Petra wrote:
It's also a bit unsettling to know so many people that have such different but strong religious beliefs.

Why?

avrahamama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:48 pm
I'd love to know what culture does this.
https://cafemom.com/news/groom.....tuals

Petra

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:56 pm
zaq wrote:
Why?

It implies religion and beliefs are cultural and dependent on who you happen to be born to.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:07 pm
Petra wrote:
It implies religion and beliefs are cultural and dependent on who you happen to be born to.

They are. Why would you think otherwise? Do you imagine that Maori tribesmen and Masai warriors are born knowing Torah but willfully choose to ignore it and live as Maori tribesmen and Masai warriors lehach'is? Do you imagine that Roman Catholic nuns know their religion is false but choose their path because they like the uniforms?

And, unless you are giyoret, in which case this is, in fact, true for you, do you imagine that if you had been born into a Shinto family in Japan or a Hindu family in India, you would have somehow, mystically, known that you were committing idolatry, rejected it and gone searching the world over for the true religion?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:13 pm
Growing up I thought that we are the only one taking traditions so seriously. Reading up on different people I was really shocked how serious a lot of people take their traditions and beliefs.

moonstone

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:13 pm
Petra wrote:

Of course, that's how it is. Look at the vast differences between different sects of Jews- sometimes it's hard for me to believe we're all the same religion.

Zehava

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:28 pm
Petra wrote:

Well duh

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:44 pm
Because individual davening is a big part of Orthodox Jewish shul services, I assumed church services are similar: mostly individual prayer, the pace set by a leader who intersperses the general prayers with either his individual chanting or communal hymns, plus a sermon in there for good measure, and, if roman catholic or eastern orthodox, some sort of rites with bells and smells.

Imagine my surprise when my Lutheran friend told me that in her church there are no bells or smells and not that much prayer, either. It's all about the sermon, which can last up to several hours! Yikes!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:58 pm
A really good friend of mine is Yoruba. I met her by the time she was married but got to attend the marriage of her sister. It was honestly really beautiful. Some parts that stood out: the groom laying in front of his parents (I don’t know or remember if he kissed their feet; I was too far away to see) as a sign of respect and honoring them. The presenting of the bride by the groom to his parents. How involved the in-laws were. The dancing! Omg so much dancing. The colors!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:44 pm
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:18 pm
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:24 pm
I really thought the OP was joking when she was discussing the Karen culture. are you making fun of the Karens of teh world or is it a real culture?

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:40 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I really thought the OP was joking when she was discussing the Karen culture. are you making fun of the Karens of teh world or is it a real culture?

It's a real culture, pronounced KahREN, in Southeast Asia.

https://ethnomed.org/culture/k.....nmar.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:05 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Keren are one of the hilltop tribes in Asia (Thailand, Burma, Laos). The women used to (some still do) wear gold rings around their necks, stretching their necks beyond their natural height.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:21 pm
I used to have Assyrian neighbors. When their daughter got married, I got a peek into some of their traditions. The groom had to come to the bride’s home and pay a ransom for her. Then, for some reason, they were throwing money all over! The front yard was covered with bills and children were running around collecting it. Unfortunately for us, it was shabbos LOL

Petra

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 5:36 pm
zaq wrote:
They are. Why would you think otherwise? Do you imagine that Maori tribesmen and Masai warriors are born knowing Torah but willfully choose to ignore it and live as Maori tribesmen and Masai warriors lehach'is? Do you imagine that Roman Catholic nuns know their religion is false but choose their path because they like the uniforms?

And, unless you are giyoret, in which case this is, in fact, true for you, do you imagine that if you had been born into a Shinto family in Japan or a Hindu family in India, you would have somehow, mystically, known that you were committing idolatry, rejected it and gone searching the world over for the true religion?

My comment to which you responded was written intentionally vague. (Of course I wouldn't think otherwise.) To explain more would involve a conversation that invokes apostasy, or at least that is what other people will think. Then this thread will be blocked. So, I will let it lie.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 6:48 pm
Mongolian women nurse their children for an average of 8 years. Yes, until the child is eight years old!

Mongolian mothers are treated like queens, with great respect. Not only that, but they can nurse in public anywhere they want, any time. They even have "nursing parks" where mothers get together on park benches and chat while they nurse their kids.

Wrestling is the national sport of Mongolia, and it is serious business for them. They firmly believe that a first born son who nurses for at least 8 years is going to be the fastest and strongest.

Cringe and "ewwww" and shudder all you want. If you live someplace where extended nursing is not just considered normal, but highly praiseworthy, and you might even be looked down on if you DON'T do extended nursing, then it will seem like a pretty basic part of parenting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics