Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o Interesting cultures- getting punished for your faith?

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:12 am
If Avoda Zara is assur, and a person does avoda zara because he was born into it, never thought there was anything better, and really, truly, believes in it, will he get punished or is there also the idea of "tinok shenishba"?

I once read a book about an amazing giyores who was born very religious- her father gave up all his possessions to the church.
Since his belief in christianity is, according to some, avoda zara, this man did a complete aveira in his sacrifice. But he believed he was doing the best he could.

cbsp

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 12:54 am
FWIW, Christianity is not necessarily avodah zorah for an aino yehudi. I think it boils down to (to quote Rabbi Viener) if they are permitted to believe in "1+" (which is effectively what the trinity is) rather than 1 alone (as yidden are commanded).

I wonder what Rabbi Tovia Singer would say about the essence of your question, though, as applied to a religion that's unequivocally avoda zarah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics