Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift “from baby” to older siblings

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 9:51 am
I’m iyh expecting a baby soon and I’d love to give my older children a gift when the baby is born. My kids are already preteen and older and I have no idea what to get. They really have everything they want.. any ideas of something nice (doesn’t have to be anything huge) that can just make them feel good? I know it’s not a necessity and the baby is a huge gift itself, but I’d love to get something if I can think of anything. The only thing they really want is to go on vacation as we haven’t gone in so long, due to covid, but I’m hesitant to book tickets anywhere with the future being so unpredictable. And I wouldn’t travel right now with a newborn anyway so they’d have to go without me which I don’t love anyway. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:06 am
Books or a game they can play together works--you'll be busy with the baby, and it's something to keep then occupied as well.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:15 am
Go with your kids and their interests. If it's a girl and she's into jewellery, get her something new. Boy could get another game that he likes, or whatever takes his interest. I would tailor the gifts for the children so it's personal to them.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:16 am
It doesn’t have to be so grand. The baby can “gift” each sibling with a toy/book/game/piece of jewelry ect.

The main thing is that they should feel that the new baby loves them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:18 am
The problem is I literally don’t know what toy or game to get them.. I don’t need it to be something big at all.. but for example my daughter recently had a birthday and said there’s nothing she needs/wants.. maybe they just have too much stuff!

amother
OP

I guess I’m looking for an interesting original idea.. for the kid who has everything

amother
Orange

My pediatrician gave me great advice when I had my second. He told me not to bring too big of a gift from the baby to the older sibling, because you'll just have to keep getting bigger and bigger gifts.
Whatever you decide, just keep that in mind.
How about matching long sleeve t shirts "big brother" "big sister" and "little brother"?
You can get them online at Children's Place or Carter's around holiday season (far family pics).

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:20 am
I just read your reply.
I came across a great quote last week.
"Children have too many things and too little attention."
Your kids will want your attention more than anything else with a new baby in the house.
That's not a gift from the baby, though. It's a gift from you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
My pediatrician gave me great advice when I had my second. He told me not to bring too big of a gift from the baby to the older sibling, because you'll just have to keep getting bigger and bigger gifts.
Whatever you decide, just keep that in mind.
How about matching long sleeve t shirts "big brother" "big sister" and "little brother"?
You can get them online at Children's Place or Carter's around holiday season (far family pics).

Love this idea but we already got these to “break out” the pregnancy..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I just read your reply.
I came across a great quote last week.
"Children have too many things and too little attention."
Your kids will want your attention more than anything else with a new baby in the house.
That's not a gift from the baby, though. It's a gift from you.

I agree. I’m super conscious about this. I guess I thought it would be cute to get a little gift too..

tichellady

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 10:36 am
Really cozy slippers or a robe, a good family board game, a gift certificate for a date with mom or dad without the baby for ice cream, dinner, etc, a gift certificate for a family photo shoot, good chocolate,

littleprincess

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:29 am
What about buying matching pjs for the entire family including baby ? I did that once. Kids loved it .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:32 am
littleprincess wrote:
What about buying matching pjs for the entire family including baby ? I did that once. Kids loved it .

Such a cute idea! Any ideas where to get that?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:47 am
Children's Place goes crazy with the matchy matchy around the holidays. I'd check there first.
The carry kids and adult sizes.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Love this idea but we already got these to “break out” the pregnancy..

Thats adorable! you seem like such a great mom!! Unfortunately, my pregnancy "breakouts" look more like IV poles and zofran pumps, and a mom who cant even open her mouth to talk to her children! Sad
I dont have ideas, because my kids arent preteens yet, but good luck!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:52 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Thats adorable! you seem like such a great mom!! Unfortunately, my pregnancy "breakouts" look more like IV poles and zofran pumps, and a mom who cant even open her mouth to talk to her children! Sad
I dont have ideas, because my kids arent preteens yet, but good luck!

So cute to come across this thread a month later..
I ended up getting my older one a cozy blanket and my younger one a bath set with bath bombs, moisturizer, etc. They both loved their gifts Smile
Hope you feel better soon!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:11 pm
Yeah look for fur throw blankets at target. I recently bought my 12 year old daughter and she is obsessed. You can get something nice for 30 bucks

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:27 pm
https://www.target.com/p/50-x6.....metab

https://www.target.com/p/50-x6.....metab

https://www.target.com/p/60-x5.....metab

I bought one in the store so not sure which one but my kids are obsessed.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 6:32 am
This backfired on a friend of mine.

Her very intelligent 3yo looked at her and said "The baby is too little to go to the store, and she doesn't have any money. Where did the doll really come from?" LOL

Big sister is a smart cookie, and she doesn't appreciate it when adults try to trick her into thinking that something is true, if it doesn't make sense.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics