Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What happens if you don’t pay up a dr/hospital?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:01 am
And it gets sent to collection?
Does it just affect your credit?

singleagain

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:03 am
Yes and yes

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Oct 29 2020, 11:05 am
It goes to a collection agency but AFAIK medical bills don't affect your credit. As per my sister who was charged due to insurance issues on the part of the hospital and after talking and talking blue in the face, she decided to ignore them.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:39 pm
Dealing with this now - if I ignore hospital bills what happens. I have bills from over a year ago and keep getting the same letter. I got a letter at one point that they are giving a 50% discount.
Now they are not honoring that anymore and insist on full payment. I am so annoyed but also curious - what happens if I keep ignoring.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:48 pm
I had a dentist bill that I ignored for years eventually the collections company got a court order to take the money directly out of my bank account. It never affected my credit score though.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 6:03 pm
best to call them and make a payment plan a little each month over a long period of time.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 6:07 pm
My anesthesiology bill is on my credit score. I saw it there the other day. The hosp bill is not. The hospital claims it’s not recordable. This is from a yr ago…I just ignore them. I already do own a home so I don’t care as much

mfb

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 6:13 pm
Is there any way to bargain with a collection agency?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 2:28 pm
many hospitals will allow a payment plan or even knock a good percentage off the price just for paying. it's worth asking them. also if there is a real financial need and it shows on your taxes, you can ask for the hospital if they have a fund for the needy, it's probably a process of submitting the paperwork to prove it but if you qualify you should take advantage of that.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 2:48 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
many hospitals will allow a payment plan or even knock a good percentage off the price just for paying. it's worth asking them. also if there is a real financial need and it shows on your taxes, you can ask for the hospital if they have a fund for the needy, it's probably a process of submitting the paperwork to prove it but if you qualify you should take advantage of that.

Thanks for the reply.
It’s already by a collection agency.
So I wanted to know if I can try that with them.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
best to call them and make a payment plan a little each month over a long period of time.

Yea this is smart, because I’ve heard of times when they just forget about it

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:58 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
Yea this is smart, because I’ve heard of times when they just forget about it

What about if it went to collections already?

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:28 pm
I had a huge bill as a teen, went to collections and everything.I went to Israel and when I came back (9 years later) it was off my score .

miami85

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:36 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
It goes to a collection agency but AFAIK medical bills don't affect your credit. As per my sister who was charged due to insurance issues on the part of the hospital and after talking and talking blue in the face, she decided to ignore them.

I don't think this is entirely true--I was also told this, and then a "collections" bill came up as a ding on my credit score and it was one I didn't know about, and I tried challenging it and it was legit, they just didn't really send me a lot of bills about it.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:58 pm
Many years ago my insurance in error removed me after birth instead of just removing the prenatal care.

Even though it was in collections I went down to the hospital and filled out paper work showing my financial situation and the doctor and hospital reduced the bill 75%. I paid a few hundred in total. They then told the collections company that it was paid and cleared.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:40 pm
call them and settle it. they will offer an amount to pay either per month or a lump sum

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And it gets sent to collection?
Does it just affect your credit?

It gets you an aveiroh.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:27 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
It gets you an aveiroh.

Yes, this is what I don't understand about this thread.

You owe money. If you owe money, and you don't pay it, it's stealing.

Not paying becuase you're curious to see what will happen? I just don't understand.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:34 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Yes, this is what I don't understand about this thread.

You owe money. If you owe money, and you don't pay it, it's stealing.

Not paying becuase you're curious to see what will happen? I just don't understand.

May you never be presented with a million or more dollar bill that you would never be able to pay off even if you worked all your life if you really can’t understand the challenge. Hospitals are billing exorbitant amounts and taking advantage that people don’t know the prices until after the fact. Billing you $10 if you ask for a cup of juice or $25 for a Tylenol or even better $150 for a dollar store pregnancy test that they insist a single Bais Yaakov girl needs to take. In most cases their services are more than paid for with the 80% or whatever amount insurance pays. It’s not so simple that it’s stealing, especially when it’s emergency care which they are obligated to not turn a person down if they can’t afford .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics