Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can it really cost over $20k to furnish an office

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:03 am
We are looking to furnish our new 4 room office and just got a quote of over $20k for the whole thing.
Including 2 executive desks, 9 additional desks, and a conference room along with some more odds and ends.
To me that seems very extreme....input?

Stars

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:16 am
Yes if it’s good quality stuff.
You can diy it on Amazon or at ikea but guaranteed you’ll need to start replacing stuff in less than a year.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:23 am
Just make sure everything done makes sense.
My DH was involved in an office setup a top designer was hired and expensive furniture was purchased.
And there were really stupid oversites - cabinets too short for printers or monitors, blocked windows, walking paths too narrow, not enough leg space for ppl sharing long desks.
Look everything over and think about what makes sense.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:26 am
Thanks for making me aware, will try to be thorough....

crust

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:14 am
Yes 20k is over the top.
Very good office desk shouldn't be more than 500 dollars executive desk a bit more.
Very good office chair 125 but I bet they're not giving you something for more than 80 bucks.

Maybe they're getting you a fancy conference table which makes it shoot up?

4g01o

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:28 am
Are you talking about a complete refurb? Electrics, plumbing etc? If not, it does sound pricey.

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:32 am
My office recently redid the board room and that alone was way over 20k.

You need 2 executive desks. Those will be easily 2k at least. 9 additional desks; those will be at least 1k each. A whole conference room will be very costly. Yes, it seems normal to me.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 8:40 am
I used to work in interior design.

For 4 offices, your quote is right in the middle, and on target. You could go cheaper, but you'll end up unhappy with what you get in a year or two. You could go more expensive and be fancy, but it sounds like you mostly just need things to be presentable, quality, and well functioning. 20K is a great price point for that.

Sure, you can find cheaper office chairs at Office Depot, but if you get a client who weighs 350 pounds, and he sits down and the chair collapses, neither of you are going to forget it for a very long time. First impressions are priceless.

A word of unsolicited advice: Get a service to come in and maintain live plants. Do not under any circumstances think you can get away with silk plants! Live plants make your office look successful, rich, inviting, and "thriving". They are also excellent air purifiers, especially if your windows don't open. A service will water the good ones, remove wilting plants, and replace them as needed. It's really not that expensive, considering the impact it will have on your environment, your workers, and your mood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics