Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm going back to work tomorrow...

Yakira

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 5:44 pm
...am I terrible for not feeling terrible? Sure I'm nervous about how I will adjust to work+mommyhood. But DD is going to a baby-sitter I trust, with my own pumped milk and is within walking distance from both mine and my husband's work. I like my work and my co-workers and am looking forward to being able to socialize with adults once more. And I think that being away from the baby will actually make me appreciate and miss her that much more, making the time we are together more special.

But I seem to be in the vast minority here, because most people feel awful and cry when they go back to work. So I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me as a Mommy for not feeling that. What

kitchen designer

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 5:54 pm
Nope nothing wrong with you.

ss321

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 6:42 pm
abs. nothing is wrong w/ you. some people im sure make great SAHMs, others, need to get out, interact w/ adults, do something intellectually stimulating in a different environment than their own home, etc. good 4 u. hatzlacha

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 6:51 pm
Yakira, you might feel differnetly 3 days from now. but it's a very healhty attitude youre going in with, keep it up.

cassandra

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 7:10 pm
I found that as I got older it got harder. With my first two I was excited to get out of the house, with my third it was really hard to be at work, and with my fourth (and last) I am staying home (didn't need the $ and am willing to put my own "fulfillment" on hold for a few years to spend the time with my kids)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 7:41 pm
Yakira wrote:
...am I terrible for not feeling terrible? Sure I'm nervous about how I will adjust to work+mommyhood. But DD is going to a baby-sitter I trust, with my own pumped milk and is within walking distance from both mine and my husband's work. I like my work and my co-workers and am looking forward to being able to socialize with adults once more. And I think that being away from the baby will actually make me appreciate and miss her that much more, making the time we are together more special.

But I seem to be in the vast minority here, because most people feel awful and cry when they go back to work. So I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me as a Mommy for not feeling that. What

No. You're fine. Don't let someone bully or guilt you into feeliing any way other than the way you actually feel.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 7:46 pm
Quote:
others, need to get out, interact w/ adults, do something intellectually stimulating in a different environment than their own home, etc.

every mother feels this way, and thats why its important for mothers who sahm to also be involved in some things for themselves, I know lots of sahmoms who have thier things. its not only work mom that need to get out everyone does.

ss321

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
others, need to get out, interact w/ adults, do something intellectually stimulating in a different environment than their own home, etc.

every mother feels this way, and thats why its important for mothers who sahm to also be involved in some things for themselves, I know lots of sahmoms who have thier things. its not only work mom that need to get out everyone does.

ooh ur probly rite. I really would have no clue, thats the truth. WhenI said "intellectually stimulating" I meant a job or work. Everyone needs to get out...I think her fear was actually getting out every day, same time, meaning shed definitely be away for a set # of hrs every day. Just to clarify I didnt mean what I said badly at all. youre 100% right.

cassandra

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 8:01 pm
ss321,

I have a lot of friends who are drs/residents/med students and it seems like many third and fourth year rotations are not exactly the most "intellectually stimulating" ways to spend your time.

ss321

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 8:21 pm
cassandra wrote:
ss321,

I have a lot of friends who are drs/residents/med students and it seems like many third and fourth year rotations are not exactly the most "intellectually stimulating" ways to spend your time.

LOL ur rite Smile some are just downright frustrating and miserable (esp. if ur pregnant...)
Im not going "back" to work right now. I wasnt trying to say anything controversial and I hope my last post clarified that fact. All I meant was that teh OP is not alone in wanting to get out, do something w/ herself during the day, etc. I was just offering her "kudos" and saying good luck w/ her first day back

cdawnr

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 9:18 am
I felt the same way after my kids. I love them, but I also looked forward to returning to work. You are totally normal.

(I htink it is just that on this site there are people who are very vocal that one should not feel happy going to work, but after the last few weeks of threads, I think all the imamothers are working on being more respectful of others on that issue)

greentiger

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 9:21 am
Yes. I often wish I had a job to go back to. But working out the logistics with babysitter and pay its just not worth it.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:12 am
Quote:
ooh ur probly rite. I really would have no clue, thats the truth. WhenI said "intellectually stimulating" I meant a job or work. Everyone needs to get out...I think her fear was actually getting out every day, same time, meaning shed definitely be away for a set # of hrs every day. Just to clarify I didnt mean what I said badly at all. youre 100% right.

your really nice. no I didnt think u meant it in a bad way! but actually what im saying is everyone needs to be intillectually stimulated. thats why I have study partners. and I do things when my kids are sleeping that I enjoy also with my hsuband (even though I am a sahm) also, even though I am a sahm I get out the same time each day because I also need that, its just I made the schedule. what u are saying is true about working women im just saying I think its the same for sahms.

gold21

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:23 am
everyone is different..of course you are normal. tons of women are like you.
if your baby is well taken care of, not in some big group where she keeps getting sick, or where she gets no attention: but where she is cared for properly in a small setting: then hey you are totally entitled to go work!
Tongue Out
mazal tov by the way

Yakira

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 7:44 pm
Thanks all. First day went well, b''h besides for the fact that I was EXHAUSTED. I got a decent 6 hours of sleep last night but still fought to stay awake once 10:30 hit. Please tell me this will get better!

kitchen designer

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 7:48 pm
It will get better!

gold21

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 9:15 pm
Yeah the beginning really is challenging...just think positive and know that IY"H in just a couple of months from now, things will be so much easier...Chin up girl!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics