Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Maybe you can help me Shabbos Day stressing me out!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:09 pm
I have read through cholent alternative threads.
Can't seem to come up with an idea.
Some of my family like cholent but everyone has different preferences or allergy needs in terms of what's in the cholent and if I please one then don't please the other. (Have thought about two crockpots but haven't done it for a couple reasons). Then some don't like cholent at all (including me).
So I always feel like I am making Cholent knowing hardly anyone will eat it.
Cannot figure out what to make and also things like soups, etc. I never know how they will fare being left in a crockpot for up to 24 hours .
Nothing too exotic or ethnic as I am not good with those things and my kids probably would be reluctant to eat those types of foods.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:40 pm
You can put potato kugel, kishke, pastrami and kielbasa all inside your cholent pot for more variety. Those who don’t like any of it can have a deli salad.

Learning

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:45 pm
I don’t leave soup for 24 hours in the crockpot It changes it taste we only eat soup on Friday night. You can put hot dogs, Whole eggs and whole potatoes in the chulent

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 12:47 pm
I never make cholent. I put up a soup in the crockpot for something hot and then serve chicken, kugel, and some kind of veggie for the main course.

If you're interested in some of my soup recipes, check out this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....53380

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:34 pm
Yapchik
Meatballs. Make spaghetti seperate
Chicken and potatoes or rice
Brisket-make pulled meat with it

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:36 pm
Never tried it, but I saw a recipe for meatballs in a crockpot.

I have done chicken and rice when I ran out of cholent ingredients one week. The rice got mushy, but was edible.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 1:51 pm
I find that anything left in the crockpot for that long gets a "cholent" taste, which many of us don't like. So kugel, chicken, soup, etc. they all taste very cholenty.

Hot dogs lose their flavor entirely in cholent.

It's frustrating.

Mindys_mommy

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 2:04 pm
Deli roll, Schnitzel and roasted veggies etc. can be warmed up in the morning by putting them near the oven or on top of an urn where it will not reach Yad soledos bo... obviously AYLOR

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 2:08 pm
Try Meatballs! they probably have to only be minimally cooked before shabbos (halachically speaking) so if you put it up shortly before shabbos, it shouldn’t be too “overdone” by the time you eat it shabbos day.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 2:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have read through cholent alternative threads.
Can't seem to come up with an idea.
Some of my family like cholent but everyone has different preferences or allergy needs in terms of what's in the cholent and if I please one then don't please the other. (Have thought about two crockpots but haven't done it for a couple reasons). Then some don't like cholent at all (including me).
So I always feel like I am making Cholent knowing hardly anyone will eat it.
Cannot figure out what to make and also things like soups, etc. I never know how they will fare being left in a crockpot for up to 24 hours .
Nothing too exotic or ethnic as I am not good with those things and my kids probably would be reluctant to eat those types of foods.

What are the different preferences
Do they like schnitzel?
They sell crockpots with 3 compartments
Maybe that will help.
Morrocan defina is cooked in seperate bags

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 2:22 pm
I know someone who does chicken soup for shabbos lunch. They put the soup into glass jars which they put into the crockpot filled with hot water. It stays very hot but doesnt get the super strong over cooked taste because it's in the sealed jar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking