Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do frum women say cross my fingers? or even do it?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:07 pm
Isn't it halachically problematic? Why do frum women do it?

cbsp

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:11 pm
It can be halachically problematic. People say/do it the same way they say "knock on wood" - because they don't know the origin of the expression.

ETA and the same way we say "sit like a pretzel" instead of criss-cross

Last edited by cbsp on Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

imanonymous

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:12 pm
cbsp wrote:
It can be halachically problematic. People say/do it the same way they say "knock on wood" - because they don't know the origin of the expression.

This.

Reality

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:44 pm
Or why do frum people use the emoji that is two hands in prayer? Don't they know it is Christian?

cbsp

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:48 pm
Reality wrote:
Or why do frum people use the emoji that is two hands in prayer? Don't they know it is Christian?

Supposedly the emoji is "thank you" in Japanese...

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:56 pm
because they do not know the origins of it.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 4:56 pm
cbsp wrote:

Exactly!
I always thought it was a cute emoji with hands like “awwww”, nothing more deep

silverlining3

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:12 pm
I know someone who regularly used it as a high-five emoji.

Reality

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:16 pm
cbsp wrote:

But it's not used to say thank you. It is used to beg or say pretty please. Like a prayer!

singleagain

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 5:21 pm
Reality wrote:
But it's not used to say thank you. It is used to beg or say pretty please. Like a prayer!

Check out my emoji search

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 6:35 pm
FWIW, if I text thanks or thank you, the hands come up automatically just as if I text hamburger, a hamburger emoji comets up. I have never associated it with prayers but with Asian culture.

If I write, pray, prayer or praying no emoji comes up.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 1:06 pm
If something is so far removed from it's religious meaning that nobody knows it's origin, does it still create a problem?

I know several Christians who won't cross fingers or knock wood, because originally it was a PAGAN practice!

You cross fingers to confuse evil spirits, and you knock wood to call upon the protection of the good spirits that live in trees - especially the sacred oaks of the Druids.

How far back do we go? At one point does it become so watered down and out of it's original use that it just becomes a part of language and expression, without deeper meaning?

Iymnok

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 1:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If something is so far removed from it's religious meaning that nobody knows it's origin, does it still create a problem?

I know several Christians who won't cross fingers or knock wood, because originally it was a PAGAN practice!

You cross fingers to confuse evil spirits, and you knock wood to call upon the protection of the good spirits that live in trees - especially the sacred oaks of the Druids.

How far back do we go? At one point does it become so watered down and out of it's original use that it just becomes a part of language and expression, without deeper meaning?

Even worse. If it comes from Avoda Zara, it’s assur to say/use. There are easily other expressions to say it.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:01 pm
Why do frum people dress up for Halloween? Why do frum companies run Valentine’s Day promotions?

I think many people have lost a sense of being part of an am hanivchar. (I live in the US) it seems to me that frum people have assimilated non-Jewish culture to an extent.

It makes me so sad.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:32 pm
Rabbi Blumenkrantz mentioned in his last book before he passed away that the phrase of OMG or even so OH My... is halachically problematic as its originally been used as a euphemism to Hashem

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:34 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Why do frum people dress up for Halloween? Why do frum companies run Valentine’s Day promotions?

I think many people have lost a sense of being part of an am hanivchar. (I live in the US) it seems to me that frum people have assimilated non-Jewish culture to an extent.

It makes me so sad.

I’ll admit, I haven’t really seen these examples.

cbsp

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 8:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Excellent questions.

If you're interested, Rabbi Yosef Viener from Monsey has a whole series on Bechukoseihem lo seileichu

Each shiur is only 20 minutes or so.

http://torahstream.org/shiurim....._5777

He discusses numerous topics and the fascinating history of many phrases and practices...

Last edited by cbsp on Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:00 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I’ll admit, I haven’t really seen these examples.

Consider yourself lucky.

Reality

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:01 pm
singleagain wrote:
Check out my emoji search

I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just saying how I see it used. And it isn't used to say an offhand thank you.

rising hero

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:19 pm
Same with the word jeez. They dont think/know where it originates from.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics