Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What height do you consider average for girls born in US?
1  2  Next

What height do you consider average for girls born in US?
5'2  
 5%  [ 6 ]
5'3  
 9%  [ 11 ]
5'4  
 52%  [ 62 ]
5'5  
 23%  [ 28 ]
5'6  
 8%  [ 10 ]
5'7  
 1%  [ 2 ]
5'8  
 0%  [ 0 ]
5'9  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 119

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:58 pm
Average height in the US varies due to ethnic makeup. Asians and hispanics are relatively short. So while the average may be 5'4, that's really a reflection of other populations that have not reached their height potential and so for a US born individual of European decent, the average is closer to 5'6 or 5'7.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:00 pm
5”4

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:00 pm
I'm 5'4.5" and always considered myself average. My SIL who is 5'2" is really short and my SIL who is 5'6" is a bit on the tall side.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:04 pm
This isn't an question of opinion, why does it matter what we consider average? Google reports that 5'4" is average female height in the US.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
This isn't an question of opinion, why does it matter what we consider average? Google reports that 5'4" is average female height in the US.

But that includes immigrants, the data shows it is at least 5'6 for individuals born in the US depending on background so for europeans it is 5'6 or 5'7. Immigrants have been shorter than their US born children. Born in the US is not the same as Living in the US.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But that includes immigrants, the data shows it is at least 5'6 for individuals born in the US depending on background so for europeans it is 5'6 or 5'7. Immigrants have been shorter than their US born children. Born in the US is not the same as Living in the US.

Jews tend to be of lower height than Europeans. Western Europeans and Eastern Europeans (which most of us originate from) don't originate from the same ancestry.

Success10

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:11 pm
Growing up in Ashkenazi Jewish circles, I felt 5"4 was pretty average. Our environments are certainly going to paint our impressions of things.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:19 pm
Average height is not a matter of opinion, it’s a fact that’s pretty easy to find out.
Jews are not “European” or of “European decent” when you consider genetics. Jews are of a different category and generally shorter than “Europeans.” A better metric would be to compare yourself to the average height in Israel, which is overwhelmingly Jewish.

turca

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:21 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Average height is not a matter of opinion, it’s a fact that’s pretty easy to find out.
Jews are not “European” or of “European decent” when you consider genetics. Jews are of a different category and generally shorter than “Europeans.” A better metric would be to compare yourself to the average height in Israel, which is overwhelmingly Jewish.

What is the average height in Israel?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:23 pm
chanchy123 wrote:

I thought Israeli's trend shorter due to immigrant concerns as well and some of the genetic makeup (Palestinians, Yemenites, etc.). Lithuanian, Hungarian and Polish women trend taller than US.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:34 pm
Average in US includes immigrants from short countries so that would be 5’4.
But people who are born here, the average is higher, around 5’6-5’7.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:36 pm
5'5-5'6. Now 5'4 isn't short, but leaning towards the shorter side. And 5'7 isn't tall, but leaning towards the taller side.

Just my opinion

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 2:06 pm
You should’ve made everyone fill out their height in the poll this way you can see for yourself what’s average at least around here!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:42 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
You should’ve made everyone fill out their height in the poll this way you can see for yourself what’s average at least around here!

See here https://www.imamother.com/foru.....59595

giselle

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:46 pm
I guessed 5’7 but I guess I’m wrong. I’m shorter than that and always felt average, but I thought it was just because jews are shorter... I guess I’m more average than I thought!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 4:41 pm
giselle wrote:
I guessed 5’7 but I guess I’m wrong. I’m shorter than that and always felt average, but I thought it was just because jews are shorter... I guess I’m more average than I thought!

according to other polls you were right...

giselle

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 4:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
according to other polls you were right...

According to a quick Google search it seems average is 5’4.. I’m surprised.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 4:45 pm
giselle wrote:
According to a quick Google search it seems average is 5’4.. I’m surprised.

That's for all not individuals BORN in the US.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:09 pm
giselle wrote:

You’re correct for the non immigrant population. Average for a girl is around 5’7.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:37 pm
I took my 16 yo Dd for checkup. She is 5” 3.5 and is on the 38% on height
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics