Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
To bunny or not to bunny
Previous  1  2  3  Next

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:03 am
We used to have them, they do get... well.. killed, very easily. One by a cat, one by a stray rock... whatever. There were also babies, but none survived.
We built them a really big cage in the yard. They had space there.
Look, they're cute. But if they die, it just breaks your heart. So take that into account.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:06 am
WitchKitty wrote:
We used to have them, they do get... well.. killed, very easily. One by a cat, one by a stray rock... whatever. There were also babies, but none survived.
We built them a really big cage in the yard. They had space there.
Look, they're cute. But if they die, it just breaks your heart. So take that into account.

Did the cat eat it?

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:37 am
Thank you all for your advice!

If I kept it/them inside, things would be a lot easier safety wise. Our dog is all guardian, and our cat is fat and lazy and old. We don't have a litter pan right now, as the cat just goes outside...Hmmmm.

However, I really, really, really don't like pet hair in my home, now that I have enough children to keep me constantly cleaning. Up until now, I figured we would keep the cat and dog until they live out their natural lives, and any new animals we get would be outdoor livestock. Am I willing to change that plan to keep bunnies safely?

I still prefer the idea of an outdoor run. We have a nice garden, and I was thinking a duplex bunny hutch and run would work well. It has to be sealed on all sides against predators, because there are plenty of wild dogs/cats/foxes/jackals/mongooses/snakes to make a meal out of a bunny.

The heart attack thing is interesting to me. The neighbours' bunnies are outdoors in a very small enclosure which has a well protected wooden home in the center. They are certainly visited by dog packs every night, and probably many other animals, yet they seem very calm and whole. As for baby bunnies going "wild": the holes in their enclosure are far too large for babies, so I would be amazed if the little snacks didn't go rogue and wander away.

In short: I can make a bunny palace, and get a pair of bunnies. Should I? I guess I have to watch those Lennon videos and see how I feel about it.

small bean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:45 am
You can get a bunny leash and take it for walks. We've had bunnies in cages and they seem fine. I don't let them indoors, although my kids beg.

We had 2 bunnies fornthe last 2 years, 1 just died this summer. The other bunny loves to sleep with the sheep, so it is currently not caged in but hangs out on thr propery. The kids can still play with her but they have to first fond her. When she wants to sleep, she goes to the barn where the sheep are.

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:47 am
Rappel wrote:
Thank you all for your advice!

If I kept it/them inside, things would be a lot easier safety wise. Our dog is all guardian, and our cat is fat and lazy and old. We don't have a litter pan right now, as the cat just goes outside...Hmmmm.

However, I really, really, really don't like pet hair in my home, now that I have enough children to keep me constantly cleaning. Up until now, I figured we would keep the cat and dog until they live out their natural lives, and any new animals we get would be outdoor livestock. Am I willing to change that plan to keep bunnies safely?

I still prefer the idea of an outdoor run. We have a nice garden, and I was thinking a duplex bunny hutch and run would work well. It has to be sealed on all sides against predators, because there are plenty of wild dogs/cats/foxes/jackals/mongooses/snakes to make a meal out of a bunny.

The heart attack thing is interesting to me. The neighbours' bunnies are outdoors in a very small enclosure which has a well protected wooden home in the center. They are certainly visited by dog packs every night, and probably many other animals, yet they seem very calm and whole. As for baby bunnies going "wild": the holes in their enclosure are far too large for babies, so I would be amazed if the little snacks didn't go rogue and wander away.

In short: I can make a bunny palace, and get a pair of bunnies. Should I? I guess I have to watch those Lennon videos and see how I feel about it.

If your main concern is pet hair, bunnies shed a lot less than cats and dogs. They do shed, and need some brushing, but waaaay less than bigger animals.

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:50 am
small bean wrote:
You can get a bunny leash and take it for walks. We've had bunnies in cages and they seem fine. I don't let them indoors, although my kids beg.

We had 2 bunnies fornthe last 2 years, 1 just died this summer. The other bunny loves to sleep with the sheep, so it is currently not caged in but hangs out on thr propery. The kids can still play with her but they have to first fond her. When she wants to sleep, she goes to the barn where the sheep are.

Are your bunnies domestic or wild? Because a domestic rabbit, if cared for properly, should not be dying after two years - depending on breed they live between 8 and 14 years... Based on your description of your second bunny, they sound like they could be wild though?

Side note, you live on a property with sheep?? I am jealous. Any other animals?

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:53 am
small bean wrote:

Are there no dogs and foxes where you live? Our does your bunny just know how to take care of herself?

And Siriusly - yes, the hair is major for me. I've become moderately allergic to a lot of animals, it seems, and I have to keep my place very clean to have any kind of peace in my home. I'm not going to stop having animals, but there is a limit to what I can clean.

small bean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:58 am
There are definitley fox, coyotes, raccoons, possums, groundhogs etc

We are in the market for a donkey to keep them all safe. My husband is very paricular on the kind of donkey for breeding purposes and we haven't found one. My kids have been asking dor s german shepard but I really don't want a dog. My husband says a big dog will also protect them. I have had chickens get eaten, but so far our bunnies have been spared.

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:24 pm
small bean wrote:
There are definitley fox, coyotes, raccoons, possums, groundhogs etc

We are in the market for a donkey to keep them all safe. My husband is very paricular on the kind of donkey for breeding purposes and we haven't found one. My kids have been asking dor s german shepard but I really don't want a dog. My husband says a big dog will also protect them. I have had chickens get eaten, but so far our bunnies have been spared.

Donkeys are wonderful, and they are like big vegetarian dogs Smile what kind of donkey is he looking for? And I recommend taking a female, or a neutered male. You don't want a male donkey to go dominant around little kids.

Llamas are also great protectors.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:51 pm
Rabbits are not meant to be house pets. They can get depressed and die if they don't have enough space to run around. A big cage is not enough. The fact that you have room outside is great, if the bunny will be taken out and given room to run.
The hutch is a big factor if they will be staying outdoors. It really needs to protect them from stray animals.
Keep in mind that they grow very big and eat you out of a ton of produce! Smile

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Rabbits are not meant to be house pets. They can get depressed and die if they don't have enough space to run around. A big cage is not enough. The fact that you have room outside is great, if the bunny will be taken out and given room to run.
The hutch is a big factor if they will be staying outdoors. It really needs to protect them from stray animals.
Keep in mind that they grow very big and eat you out of a ton of produce! Smile

That will depend on the breed - I have a cute little Netherland Dwarf who’s reached her full size and is not very big at all. Then again, you don’t want to be getting a Flemish Giant unless you really plan on devoting yourself to it;)

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 1:35 pm
I love this thread so much. Any thread that mentions donkey, rabbit, and mongoose...WOW! Rappel I have had house rabbits and they did not shed much at all. Nothing like cat or dog and also much less general odor. Their poop doesn't even smell. However I do know plenty of people are allergic to rabbits moreso than other animals. Rabbits are very easy to litter train. If you have enough space for a big indoor cage AND a way to set up a run (like, a pen) inside too that would be great. Why not get them neutered so you don't need to worry about them reproducing, there are halachic ways to get this done, right? Where I live all the rabbit rescue places 'fix' them before adoption, same with cats/dogs, so I never had to figure out how to do this in a halachically acceptable way. If you get bunnies please post photos!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 1:58 pm
Siriusly? wrote:
That will depend on the breed - I have a cute little Netherland Dwarf who’s reached her full size and is not very big at all. Then again, you don’t want to be getting a Flemish Giant unless you really plan on devoting yourself to it;)

My daughter's friend did research before getting a dwarf bunny, but it still grew bigger than expected and eats a ton.
We have a guinea pig that's obviously smaller and it still grew nice and big and eats a lot of produce along her with pellets and hay! It's like feeding another child. Smile

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 2:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My daughter's friend did research before getting a dwarf bunny, but it still grew bigger than expected and eats a ton.
We have a guinea pig that's obviously smaller and it still grew nice and big and eats a lot of produce along her with pellets and hay! It's like feeding another child. Smile

And I had two large guinea pigs as a kid that were probably as big as my dwarf rabbit if not larger! 🤷‍♀️ Also bear in mind that many rabbits will not stop eating when they are full - they more or less eat whatever you give them, and that can cause obesity and be dangerous. Research how much produce and pellets they should be eating for their size and don’t feed them more than that. (Hay should be unlimited)

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 4:41 pm
Rappel wrote:

Will two bunny brothers fight?

More likely they'll, uhm....how can I say this and keep a G rating?

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 5:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
Did the cat eat it?

Actually, no. Just left it in pieces. I don't know why.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 5:42 pm
Siriusly? wrote:
And I had two large guinea pigs as a kid that were probably as big as my dwarf rabbit if not larger! 🤷‍♀️ Also bear in mind that many rabbits will not stop eating when they are full - they more or less eat whatever you give them, and that can cause obesity and be dangerous. Research how much produce and pellets they should be eating for their size and don’t feed them more than that. (Hay should be unlimited)

That's definitely being done. Smile Just pointing out some things that people don't realize. The amount we spend on bedding from changing every other day, hay, pellets, veggies... Something people need to keep in mind when making such decisions. (We took this into account. But it still surprises us.)

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 5:48 pm
If you do not want more pet hair inside your house I'd go with letting your kids enjoy the bunnies at your neighbors.

cbsp

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 6:33 pm
Zehava wrote:
From everything I read bunnies do need to be let out. The cages misconception comes from being used for experiments. They can actually be taught to use a litter box. They can be very affectionate, the one I had for a little while would snuggle up under my chin and lick my face. If you’re worried about two multiplying you can have them fixed at the vet.
And they are pretty animals so would be nervous outside smelling predators everywhere.
Oh and domestic bunnies don’t just “go wild”. They’re a totally different breed and are not great at surviving in the wild. They’ll be eaten.

FWIW, might want to ask your LOR before doing any "fixing"

cbsp

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 6:38 pm
And I couldn't help myself...

Visa Check Card Rabbits 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_v_3ue35mg

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets