Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Black hat open minded not quite yeshivish with dog brooklyn
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 10:29 pm
RBS has black hats, chassidim, etc all walking dogs. No one bats an eyelash

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
RBS has black hats, chassidim, etc all walking dogs. No one bats an eyelash

Chassidim walking dogs? Color me skeptical.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:14 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

You have that in my oot community. That said, these are people who became chassidim, but didn't grow up that way. A holdover from their previous life.... I assume that's the case for RBS, as well.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:32 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Never heard of such a thing. There is no rule in the school handbook about not having dogs. To op, I do know a person such as you describe. More then one actually. I would be that person if I had any patience left to take care of a dog. I don’t care what anyone else thinks. I just have enough on my plate.

I live in Lakewood. There’s no written rule as it’s assumed no one has it. Kind of like how when I was in high school and wore nail polish to school my principal said it’s not allowed, and I said but there’s no rule in the handbook.. I’m sure they have since added it! But I know people personally who had to get rid of their dogs as per the school.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:36 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I live in Lakewood. There’s no written rule as it’s assumed no one has it. Kind of like how when I was in high school and wore nail polish to school my principal said it’s not allowed, and I said but there’s no rule in the handbook.. I’m sure they have since added it! But I know people personally who had to get rid of their dogs as per the school.

What kind of Rav would make you get rid of your pet? That's HORRIBLE.

small bean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:48 pm
I think it depends on the school. In my kids lakewood schools, I don't think it will be an issue.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:49 pm
small bean wrote:
I think it depends on the school. In my kids lakewood schools, I don't think it will be an issue.

Could be but this is one of the less yeshivish ones.

small bean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:51 pm
Could be but this is one of the less yeshivish ones.

It has nothing to do with yeahivish and more about the perception people have of pets.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:59 pm
We live in town and got a dog recently for our kids. People judge us and have gotten very involved in our lives trying to pressure us to get rid of it. We got our rav involved and it was a whole big thing. At the end of the day- if you’re getting a dog for the right reasons don’t worry about the naysayers and you’ll see Bracha from it. It’s the best thing we ever did

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:10 am
I know this was said but I will say also Passaic nj lots of frum families with dogs!! Plus lots of in general pet friendly families.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:23 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

Should I send you pics?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:30 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Should I send you pics?

Yes, please.
Last I heard about dogs in RBS was when kids (and adults) were afraid to leave their homes for fear of being attached by a stray dog.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:33 am
small bean wrote:
It has nothing to do with yeahivish and more about the perception people have of pets.

Not all pets are equal.
I'm in a RW chassidish community where some people have goats, chicks, bunnies, parrots, and there are no issues. I cannot see dogs being so easily accepted.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:35 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Yes, please.
Last I heard about dogs in RBS was when kids (and adults) were afraid to leave their homes for fear of being attached by a stray dog.

I was being facetious. I am not taking pictures of strangers walking their dogs and posting them here. Hundreds of people in RBS have pet dogs. They are everywhere.
You will see the frummiest looking people walking dogs. It's not an issue here.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:43 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Not all pets are equal.
I'm in a RW chassidish community where some people have goats, chicks, bunnies, parrots, and there are no issues. I cannot see dogs being so easily accepted.

Why are those other animals okay but dogs not?

Are people just afraid of being bitten or attacked by dogs? Or is there some other issue?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:45 am
So I’m seriously considering moving to rbs. I grew up with dogs and love them and miss them so much.
Dh freaks out when I talk about animals let alone d-o-g-s..
Want him to see frum people with dogs and see for himself it’s not a horrible thing.
Dream of my days with my white fluffy friend

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:14 am
I'm gonna start w I love dogs and always wanted one.
It is just not socially acceptable in Lakewood. So unless you're the type to do things that are considered not socially acceptable - and of course there are people like that in every group - dont get a dog in Lakewood. You will stand out. If you are comfortable standing out like that, go for it.
I live in Baltimore and there are TONS of black hatters w dogs. Considered very normal here.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:24 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
So I’m seriously considering moving to rbs. I grew up with dogs and love them and miss them so much.
Dh freaks out when I talk about animals let alone d-o-g-s..
Want him to see frum people with dogs and see for himself it’s not a horrible thing.
Dream of my days with my white fluffy friend

Totally.
I love dogs and want one. DH doesn't believe in pets but he sees all of our friends and neighbors walking their dogs every day.
We hang out with friends and their dogs all the time.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:31 am
Most schools don’t allow it. Even the more left wing ones.

What if the dog already knows shapes, can count to ten, and can spell their own name? I understand that schools are full in Lakewood, but can't the vaad help them out? Every dog deserves a fair opportunity.

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:14 am
When I lived in Brooklyn (Midwood), my neighbors across the street had a dog. No one seemed to mind.
It was a pretty mixed block but mostly yeshivish-ish.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets