Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Black hat open minded not quite yeshivish with dog brooklyn
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
What’s RBS

Ramat bet shemesh

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:28 pm
Dogs are good for security. I know a bunch of amothers in Brooklyn have been concerned about that lately.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
People who put their kids first.

Wrong. People who cave to Horrible and disgusting pressure from society and don’t stand up for what’s right

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
This is definitely not the case. First, there are major poskim who hold that it's muktzeh. They are not naive, it's a valid halachic ruling. Second, there is a lot more to know: what to do when the animal is sick or hurt on shabbos, what you're allowed to remove from their fur, how to handle poop in various locations. Definitely anyone who is caring for a dog on shabbos should discuss all of the above with their posek.

No one holds that it’s muktEh to the owners.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:58 pm
Wrong. People who cave to Horrible and disgusting pressure from society and don’t stand up for what’s right

Because rehomed pets are often older, and there's more of a chance they would be euthanized in a shelter. This is what we should be teaching our children?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:59 pm

I've actually asked a rav about this: if your pet is hurt on shabbas, you are allowed to break shabbos to save its life.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:06 pm

This is false. There are opinions that your own dog is muktzeh for you on shabbos. Feel free to ask your rav if you don't believe me; I'm sure he is aware of those opinions even if he holds differently.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:29 pm

We have a dog and our Rabbi said we shouldn’t carry him on shabbos. If he needs to be held then one of the younger kids should do it. Love this conversation/thread. We got one and had a lot of nasty comments and judgement but who cares. Best decision we ever made for the kids

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:45 pm
This is false. There are opinions that your own dog is muktzeh for you on shabbos. Feel free to ask your rav if you don't believe me; I'm sure he is aware of those opinions even if he holds differently.

We did and also looked it up in hilchos Shabbos seforim

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:57 pm
We did and also looked it up in hilchos Shabbos seforim

It's not possible that your rav said no one holds that a pet is muktzeh. The consensus among the rishonim is that it is muktzeh. Among contemporary poskim, Rav SZ Auerbach, Rav Moshe Feinstein, and Rav Ovadia Yosef, zichronam livracha, all hold that a pet is muktzeh. There are other opinions obviously, but it's pretty silly to pretend that only naive people think a pet is muktzeh.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:07 pm
It's not possible that your rav said no one holds that a pet is muktzeh. The consensus among the rishonim is that it is muktzeh. Among contemporary poskim, Rav SZ Auerbach, Rav Moshe Feinstein, and Rav Ovadia Yosef, zichronam livracha, all hold that a pet is muktzeh. There are other opinions obviously, but it's pretty silly to pretend that only naive people think a pet is muktzeh.

Mukza to hold and carry. Not to touch

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Mukza to hold and carry. Not to touch

Muktzeh by definition means that you can't move it, touching is not an issue. This has nothing to do with pets.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:27 pm
What’s RBS

Ramat Beit Shemesh, a neighborhood in Bet Sheepshead, Israel.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
There's plenty of this is Passaic.

Baalei Teshuva, not yeshivish.

I am black hat member, I dont feel its appropriate, and wouldnt be in my circles.

And if you deicde to have one, can you please choose another block?

Hope honesty here is OK.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Baalei Teshuva, not yeshivish.

I am black hat member, I dont feel its appropriate, and wouldnt be in my circles.

And if you deicde to have one, can you please choose another block?

Hope honesty here is OK.

Wondering what bothers you so much about another Jew having a dog? Asking a honest question back. What part is not appropriate ?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:50 am
I only had a halachic problem with a dog once. There was a big wind storm, and the eruv blew down just before Shabbos.

I lived in a tiny apartment with no yard, which meant that I had to walk the dog. I couldn't let her off leash 1. because it was against the law, and 2. because she didn't have the common sense that G-d gave a hamster. She would run straight into traffic if I let her.

I called my rabbi, and he said that I had to hold the leash in my opposite hand, and keep the leash loose so my dog could wander about (without going into the street.) I couldn't guide her anywhere in particular if it meant pulling the least, I had to use my voice to get her to follow me back home.

Just saying, if you have a dog, have a rabbi who knows that halacha, and will work with you. It can be done, if you are willing to make the commitment.

(I also train all of my dogs not to bark at anyone, because the dogs in Mitzrayim were praised for not barking when the Jews were escaping.)

My current dog is a lousy watch dog. She'll watch you break in, she'll watch you steal the computer, and then she'll beg for treats! LOL

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 1:34 pm
Many people in Monsey have dogs.

metacognizant

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:39 pm
This is us, sort of. My husband wears the full levush most of the time. He definitely wears a black hat to shul and any type of formal event. I wear pants and a tichel (sue me). We live in a frum neighborhood in Brooklyn. We have a giant Doberman mix. He can get annoying, bouncing around the house, but he's actually great with the kids and he's an excellent burglar deterrent. We have a crate for him to hang out in when we have guests because NO ONE frum will come into our house otherwise. Several of our neighbors have tiny dogs, but we only have one nearby friend with a giant dog (a German Shepherd). So it's not unheard of. If you're willing to break the mold you can join our club ;-)

Edit: I grew up Chassidishe and my mother/her rav were adamant that dogs are tamei and cannot be had in the house for this reason. As I understand this, this is a Chassidishe thing and wouldn't apply if you are a misnagid (as I am now). There is an issue with walking dogs outside of an eruv on Shabbos, but (a) we live inside of an eruv, (b) even if the eruv were down, we have a small fenced back yard, so if we needed to go one Shabbos without walking the dog, we could. I think if there are halachic questions involved in dog or pet ownership any responsible person can figure them out in advance.

Edit 2: Someone earlier in the thread said they could not believe it that in RBS Chassidishe families own and walk dogs. I know that when I was growing up this was not done. BUT my sister and her family live in Beitar Elite and are Chassidishe (Toldos Ahron) all the way. They do not have a dog themselves but they are actually very pro dog! When they visited my house a few years ago on a trip to the USA, my brother in law was adamant that he wanted his daughter to meet the dog I had at that time (an enormous Rottweiler), play with her, pet her etc. so that my niece would learn to not be afraid of dogs in general. They wouldn't eat the food I cooked in my kitchen or use my plates, they brought their own milk **from Israel** because my brother in law does not drink milk that hasn't **actually been milked** by a frum, ehrlich Yid... but they like dogs, have no problem with dogs at home, and want their kids to be comfortable around dogs too!

Last edited by metacognizant on Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:49 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
People who put their kids first.

People who put their kids first make them go through the loss of a pet?

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
People who put their kids first make them go through the loss of a pet?

I am specifically talking about Lakewood - Lakewood schools are a very specific type. If people want to move here for cheap housing, they have to be prepared to do what it takes to get their kids into school.. so that their kids won’t suffer by not getting into school while their friends are all in school. If that doesn’t work for people, don’t move here.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets