Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Black hat open minded not quite yeshivish with dog brooklyn
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:00 pm
I know people in the UK with dogs 🐕 yeshivishe people and cats 🐈

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I am specifically talking about Lakewood - Lakewood schools are a very specific type. If people want to move here for cheap housing, they have to be prepared to do what it takes to get their kids into school.. so that their kids won’t suffer by not getting into school while their friends are all in school. If that doesn’t work for people, don’t move here.

And what about people who didn't move to Lakewood? What if someone is born there and doesn't want to be 100% controlled by the schools?

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
And what about people who didn't move to Lakewood? What if someone is born there and doesn't want to be 100% controlled by the schools?

Like me? I looked into moving away.. didn’t work out. So I made my peace with it and don’t flout the rules.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:05 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Baalei Teshuva, not yeshivish.

I am black hat member, I dont feel its appropriate, and wouldnt be in my circles.

And if you deicde to have one, can you please choose another block?

Hope honesty here is OK.

I live in Passaic. Majority of the community is not like this poster but obviously there are some (although I’m surprised they’re on the internet).

Unless you live in a really “yeshivish” area of Passaic (ie Randolph), vast majority of people are accepting of dog ownership.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:23 pm
Like me? I looked into moving away.. didn’t work out. So I made my peace with it and don’t flout the rules.

I find it strange that you just accept their authority.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

Not all of us are idealists. Some make peace with our reality and live very happy lives.

IsraeliSoul

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

If someone grows up within a certain frame it’s easier to stay than change.
Even if they would like to be different

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 1:46 pm
Not all of us are idealists. Some make peace with our reality and live very happy lives.

Why the insistence on conformity? Why is individualism such a taboo?

IsraeliSoul

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:05 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

Good question but this is the reality “in town”.

Either you fit the (narrow) mold or you’re considered to be weird

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:08 pm
IsraeliSoul wrote:
Good question but this is the reality “in town”.

Either you fit the (narrow) mold or you’re considered to be weird

Lots of highly esteemed people were once seen as "weird"

IsraeliSoul

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:22 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Lots of highly esteemed people were once seen as "weird"

True!
It’s usually the strong personalities who dare to be different

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:31 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

Because I have a happy life here. I don’t feel the need to uproot everyone for the sake of individualism. Btw I’m considered an individual where I live and not exactly the biggest conformist. But I have no problem confirming a little here and there if needed.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:40 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

Eh. Everyone who is part of a community, any community, will conform in many ways. This is true for everyone everywhere. Some communities have unspoken rules about conforming in one way, other communities have spoken rules about conforming a different way. This is sociology 101. People align themselves with a community and then conform accordingly.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 3:39 pm
I am specifically talking about Lakewood - Lakewood schools are a very specific type. If people want to move here for cheap housing, they have to be prepared to do what it takes to get their kids into school.. so that their kids won’t suffer by not getting into school while their friends are all in school. If that doesn’t work for people, don’t move here.

Most of the people I know in Lakewood who have dogs are all living here a minimum 20 years. They moved here when they got married because the husbands were learning in BMG.

Their kids are all upper elementary and older, so I guess they're not as nervous about the schools. They're also not ultra yeshivish, but their not "modern".

I can think of 3 such families off hand. I also know other families with dogs, but they're not BMG families. None of them moved here recently for cheap housing, they're all here for years.

IsraeliSoul

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 5:59 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Eh. Everyone who is part of a community, any community, will conform in many ways. This is true for everyone everywhere. Some communities have unspoken rules about conforming in one way, other communities have spoken rules about conforming a different way. This is sociology 101. People align themselves with a community and then conform accordingly.

Right but in town communities have way much more social pressures and expectations than oot communities. Brooklyn, lakewood, these places have many many spoken and unspoken rules and people are being categorized, judged and analyzed all the time.

Israel for instance is well known as a place full of individuality and people live very much their own way. (think chassidish dog owners)

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 6:04 pm
IsraeliSoul wrote:
Right but in town communities have way much more social pressures and expectations than oot communities. Brooklyn, lakewood, these places have many many spoken and unspoken rules and people are being categorized and analyzed all the time.

Israel for instance is well known as a place full of individuality and people live very much their own way. (think chassidish dog owners)

In town may have more social pressure, but oot still has its own pressures. And Israel being full of individuality.. I mean, I love Israel, but no. That's not accurate at all as a generalization. I've lived in Brooklyn, oot US, and Israel, btw.

IsraeliSoul

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 6:14 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
In town may have more social pressure, but oot still has its own pressures. And Israel being full of individuality.. I mean, I love Israel, but no. That's not accurate at all as a generalization. I've lived in Brooklyn, oot US, and Israel, btw.

I'm not saying there are places without societal pressures.
Israel has its fair share too.

But the in town communities cannot be compared to oot.
You won't be labeled as an outcast as much as in town if you're different.

I've lived oot and in town and have been to Israel a lot, so maybe it's each person's own perception of these things.
You're right that nothing can be generalized though

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:01 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Never heard of such a thing. There is no rule in the school handbook about not having dogs. To op, I do know a person such as you describe. More then one actually. I would be that person if I had any patience left to take care of a dog. I don’t care what anyone else thinks. I just have enough on my plate.

So, you are saying that you know more than one person that is sending their children to good schools and they have a dog?

Good to know there's such diversity in Flatbush.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:05 pm
IsraeliSoul wrote:
Right but in town communities have way much more social pressures and expectations than oot communities. Brooklyn, lakewood, these places have many many spoken and unspoken rules and people are being categorized, judged and analyzed all the time.

By chassidish dog owners you mean chabad chassidish, Breslov chassidish, BT chasssidish or do you mean, Toldos Aharon chassidish?

Please be specific because you're saying something pretty much out of left field. Like I would say, yea... Reb Chaim Kenievsky has a dog. Ya know.

I have tons of family there and no, no one owns a dog.
BS.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:10 pm
You'd think you would be talking about having a coyote as a pet.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets