Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Teen boy gift, he wants for nothing except
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:17 pm
Something alive, with 4 legs & furry.

I do not want something alive, with 4 legs & furry.

Dog, cat, hamster......

What will ruin my house least, let us travel, not be work for me....least smelly.....experienced advice wanted....

Considering birthday gift.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:19 pm
Something that can live in a cage. Hamster, gerbil, guinea pig.

agreer

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:21 pm
Tell him NO

Teach him the valuable lesson that you can want something with all your heart, not get it, and still survive and thrive if you have the right attitude.

That is the best gift ever.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:28 pm
I hate pets but I finally caved during the covid lockdown last year and got a hamster. Still hate it but I think it was right choice. I will have absolutely nothing to do with it and they have to take care of it (my husband helps sometimes). Change litter often and it won’t be smelly. We do leave it at friends if we go away. I’m not sure you can leave it without anyone to care for it because of food and water. Guinea pig may be similar but hamsters live for a much shorter amount of time. So this is maybe a few year thing and then never again! I’d never get a dog or cat. They’re way more work and all over the house which feels gross to me.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:50 pm
As a child I had (not all at once) hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits and a kitten.
My parents did not like animals and my siblings and I had to beg for each one.
The easiest animal and cleanest is hands down a cat.
They are so clean, do not smell at all and are so self sufficient.
Hamsters need their cage cleaned at least 2x weekly. They dont live very long so its not such a long term investment. However not all hamsters enjoy being handled by their owners... Its very common for them to bite.
Guinea pigs and rabbit can make huge messes cages need to be cleaned at least weekly. Rabbits are really easy to toilet train thou.
Guinea pigs do not do well alone so u would be advised to get 2. They also need fresh hay daily. I have seen guinea pigs and rabbits eat at wires, wall paper, books, furniture...
Rabbits are really friendly and enjoy being played with.
There are many different species of rabbit and they are all very different with different temperaments. So if you decide to go with a rabbit you need to do your research.

We have a rabbit now. Its my favorite type of pet.

small bean

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:50 pm
Hamsters are super easy to take care of. You can hold them and play with them. Easy to keep clean.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:57 pm
small bean wrote:
Hamsters are super easy to take care of. You can hold them and play with them. Easy to keep clean.

Very true!
And they dont take up alot of space.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:01 am
We’ve had every animal. Hands down dogs are the only pet that will prob fill your sons need. It’s easier to pick up a few poops a day then to clean the rabbit cage once a week. And your son will feel excited and productive when he can train the dog to do tricks and will get unconditional love

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:18 am
If you are considering a cat/dog, what is its life expectancy? Do you have other/younger children? Who will take care of it when he leaves and goes to Israel/Yeshiva/college/gets married....

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:16 am
My son begged for months....just got him a gerbil

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:27 pm
we've had both hamsters and guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are much easier to hold and play with and cuddle---- hamsters need to be "tamed" for each and every day before they're pocket pets. Till then, they bite. Guinea pigs are much more expensive with the pens and the changing and the food. Hamsters are cheap. Guinea pig poops need to be dealt with DAILY. Hamster poops can sit for a week. Hamsters are easier, guinea pigs are more loveable.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
As a child I had (not all at once) hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits and a kitten.
My parents did not like animals and my siblings and I had to beg for each one.
The easiest animal and cleanest is hands down a cat.
They are so clean, do not smell at all and are so self sufficient.
Hamsters need their cage cleaned at least 2x weekly. They dont live very long so its not such a long term investment. However not all hamsters enjoy being handled by their owners... Its very common for them to bite.
Guinea pigs and rabbit can make huge messes cages need to be cleaned at least weekly. Rabbits are really easy to toilet train thou.
Guinea pigs do not do well alone so u would be advised to get 2. They also need fresh hay daily. I have seen guinea pigs and rabbits eat at wires, wall paper, books, furniture...
Rabbits are really friendly and enjoy being played with.
There are many different species of rabbit and they are all very different with different temperaments. So if you decide to go with a rabbit you need to do your research.

We have a rabbit now. Its my favorite type of pet.

This is a great post. Thanks for all the information!

For ease of maintenance, I definitely agree with getting a cat - but the cat will jump up on the counters and steal your food unless you are careful to never leave anything out. I've had a cat snatch a sandwich right out of my hand! They are very smart, and will definitely keep you entertained.

If you must have something that has to stay in a cage, talk to your local pet shop and ask all about the pros and cons of each type of animal. Small pets have no business running around the house, unless they are contained in a "hamster ball".

I used to keep rats. (I know, calm down!) Domestic pet rats are very sweet, easy to hand train, and easy to take care of. In captivity under proper conditions, they can live about 2.5 years. I had a friend with a rat who lived 3 years, but that is considered extremely rare.

The advantage of a small cage pet, is that your child can just drop it off at a friend's house when you go on vacation. There will probably be kids lined up around the block wanting to take care of it for a week or two.

If you decide to get a small cage pet, make sure that your kids know about their short life span. Kids need to know ahead of time, so they won't be so completely heart broken when the times comes.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 4:08 pm
and to piggy back on that, a hamster is a small cage pet--- guinea pigs are very much NOT. With guinea pigs you really need two and you need them in a large pen, NOT a cage. They need space to "popcorn" jump and hop around. Whenever I see guinea pig and cage in the same sentence it drives me batty. Guinea pigs do NOT like cages. The pens are not so portable so it's easier to have someone come to your home to feed them, clean the pen, and play with them for an hour a day rather than drop them at someone else's house. Hamsters can be dropped anywhere but they'll be scared of the new environment for at least a day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 5:10 pm
Thank you everyone. This has been very informative. At wits end It goes right back to why I dont want a pet until I am too old to travel. Hard think on this one. It does make sense why people just get a dog.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:43 pm
To add to the cat info - what people said upthread was great, want to add that they do require daily (at minimum 4x weekly) litter box cleaning and yearly vaccinations.

When considering adopting an animal, keep in mind that it is a financial commitment as well as a time/cleaning commitment.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 8:19 pm
We keep quite few pets outdoors only and get neighbors to help feed them when we go away. I've had guinea pigs in my home for 2 years and won't do it again.

My animal experiences solidified my desire to NEVER buckle and get a dog. No cat in the house either.

OP, its not just travel. It becomes your or dh's responsibility when the kids get bored.

The only house in my neighborhood where the kids walk the dog is a house where dad is European (read not a pushover). If the kids shirk responsibility, they know the dog will find a new home. Every other dog is walked by the mom or dad at least 1/2 the time.

My kids beg nonstop, send photos of dogs and one teen has not spoken to me for weeks because I vetoed animal additions. Dont buckle.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:41 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
We keep quite few pets outdoors only and get neighbors to help feed them when we go away. I've had guinea pigs in my home for 2 years and won't do it again.

My animal experiences solidified my desire to NEVER buckle and get a dog. No cat in the house either.

OP, its not just travel. It becomes your or dh's responsibility when the kids get bored.

The only house in my neighborhood where the kids walk the dog is a house where dad is European (read not a pushover). If the kids shirk responsibility, they know the dog will find a new home. Every other dog is walked by the mom or dad at least 1/2 the time.

My kids beg nonstop, send photos of dogs and one teen has not spoken to me for weeks because I vetoed animal additions. Dont buckle.

What animals do you keep outside? What climate & locations are they good for?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:47 pm
If your teen wants a dog that badly and they understand the responsibilities then they will take care of it. My daughter 14 takes care of her dog 100 percent of the time. (When she’s in school then the Housekeeper will walk him) we worked with a trainer to teach her how to care for him and it’s been amazing. I find that it teaches tremendous responsibility and there is nothing like the unconditional love the dog gives the child. IMO best thing ever for a teen who has a love for animals.

lucky14

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:53 pm
If cost is at all a factor dogs are extremely expensive. Vet bills- food- boarding when you go away- and when they get sick - and eventually unless they are hit by a car they will get sick- the bills add up very quickly.
Dogs are my favorite pet but they are expensive.
I suggest getting something smaller as a starter pet unless you're OK with taking the big leap and getting a dog or cat.
I'm a pet/animal person. Be the awesome mom and get him something even though you yourself have no interest in pets at all. I love love love that my mom was OK with my pet requests.

SacN

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 12:23 am
I have two cats. They are almost no work, and we taught them not to come on the counters, eat our food, scratch our stuff.
I scoop the box daily and change the sand once a week. And fill the food bowls every couple of days.

They don't stink like rodents, and can be left alone if we travel as long as a friend or neighbor comes to feed them and scoop the sand.

It's been so amazing for my kids--one in particular.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets